Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

G.C.S.E exams

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Just for us young 'uns :p

How have you all been finding your exams so far? Which exams have you done and how well do you feel you did at them? Which are you most worried about and which don't you think will be a problem?

I've done my German listening, both Geography exams, an English exam, a D&T exam, a maths exam and a biology exam.

Of the lot of them i think i'm around C\B standard, but i am worried about my maths, due to having had so many teachers over the past 2 years that we haven't learnt anything properly. However, i think my English will easily pass.

Interested to hear how you lot are finding it.

Duffy
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    S.T.U.D.E.N.T. forum Adam. :(
  • Options
    i'm standing on good ground cos i worked my little socks off in my coursework.
    ict was real good, music was horrible, maths was horrible, drama was amazing, science was so so as was french and eng lang. english lit got owned :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    S.T.U.D.E.N.T. forum Adam. :(

None of the GCSE folks go in there though - and the exams are important so we need some reassurance and stuff blah blah.

:p
  • Options
    so far none that bad. french listening was so piss though :D. I've actually had a little trouble with the English papers, even though everyone else has been saying they were easy. Maybe I'm just not satisfied with myself? :confused: I seem to run out of things to write you see. Anyway, science was a complete pile of piss :), maths was a bit icky, but paper 2 in both those subjects are next week. Think that's about it.

None especially hard, humanities was ok! :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Doofay
    None of the GCSE folks go in there though - and the exams are important so we need some reassurance and stuff blah blah.

:p

Pfft. GCSEs come second only to SATS in the list of least-important-exams-in-the-world-ever. :(

:heart::p
  • Options
    Pfft. GCSEs come second only to SATS in the list of least-important-exams-in-the-world-ever. :(

:heart::p

What about those obscure tests you have to do in tutor time? :confused: Can't even remember the name of them....
  • Options

Peraphs in a few years time when applying for jobs your GCSE results will not mean anything but they do affect what further education courses you can take. If you don't have 5 A-C's you can't get on most of the higher level courses or A-levels without putting a lot of extra effort in.
  • Options

did you ever do richmond tests? we had to do them for the last few years of primary school. they were so incredibly pointless.

they'd be like 'you got 131'. and you'd think, what the hell does that mean?
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    did you ever do richmond tests? we had to do them for the last few years of primary school. they were so incredibly pointless.

they'd be like 'you got 131'. and you'd think, what the hell does that mean?

:no:

I do remember some tests in primary school though, the questions were all read out and it was like -

'Which of the following is the odd one out: Dog, cat, horse, watermelon.'

I loved those. So piss easy. Ok, I stand corrected. Meanies. :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    What about those obscure tests you have to do in tutor time? :confused: Can't even remember the name of them....

Like the cognative ability tests (C.A.Ts). We didn't even get to get our scores :(
  • Options
    'Which of the following is the odd one out: Dog, cat, horse, watermelon.'

:lol:

nah, these were harder than that, but still not overly stressful. in year 6 i would have got 100%, but i didn't know what 'conflagration' meant. bastards. will never forget it now :(
  • Options
    English lit went terrible! All the other tests have gone ok.

Apart from the english exam today which went suprisingly well.
    Got german reading and writing tomorrow and im not looking forward to that.:(
    But then iv only got 5 exams left!:D hehe
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    :lol:

nah, these were harder than that, but still not overly stressful. in year 6 i would have got 100%, but i didn't know what 'conflagration' meant. bastards. will never forget it now :(

They expected you to know what that meant when you were 11? That's just nasty. :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by curiouslad
    English lit went terrible! All the other tests have gone ok.

Apart from the english exam today which went suprisingly well.
    Got german reading and writing tomorrow and im not looking forward to that.:(
    But then iv only got 5 exams left!:D hehe

:eek: i thought you were older!
  • Options

I do qualify as 18 anywhere!;) :D
  • Options
    so random question what does gcse stand for? and why must you take these tests?
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name

General Certificate of Secondary Education. They are what you do when you finish compulsary education. So the grades can get you to further education or a job etc.

edited cos kaff got it right.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name

general certificate of secondary education.

same reason you guys have high school diplomas and stuff.
  • Options
    English Lit. was okay, but I never know whether I'm answering the question or just blabbering on and repeating myself. Same with the English Lang. today, although that one I think was alright. French listening was hard, reading wasn't so bad. Science have gone pretty easy so far, still got loads more science to do though.

I hate being on higher tier for everything :(

Drama went brilliantly though, our play got the best response, and it was so fun to do! :D

It's hard to judge how you've done though, I really couldn't say. :/
  • Options
    erm, they're going rubbishly!!
    -PE was okay,
    -English literature was hard because the questions were on minor scenes of Romeo and Juliet and Great Expectations, which we hadnt studied and didnt feature in the revision guide,
    -Biology was okay, but didnt include much biology in my opinion, as it had nothing to do with plants, the heart, respiration (etc),
    -maths non-calc was murder and so incredibly hard i will be lucky to get anything!! I wanted an A so I revised and I still didnt understand the exam. Dammit.
    -Product Design was all arty stuff and nothing to do with properties of materials or manufacturing processes like I'd learnt, and I basically ran out of time so had a rubbish card design,
    -French listening and reading was half easy and half difficult (but I only wanted a B in that anyway)
    -and English language I probably did all wrong but I really enjoyed it!!!

I'm worried about religion tomorrow because I hadnt done any revision until today and I did 8hrs solid cramming!! Lol.. I think I know Judaism pretty well now but apparently you need 95% or something to get an A*??? Dammit..
  • Options
    Originally posted by burningwings
    I'm worried about religion tomorrow because I hadnt done any revision until today and I did 8hrs solid cramming!! Lol.. I think I know Judaism pretty well now but apparently you need 95% or something to get an A*??? Dammit..
    on ours its at most 86%
    just be clear with the essay question!
  • Options
    Mine are going ok atm. Science went crap though, have to say, fuckin awful! :( but got another science on monday so im gona try and make it up! :)
    I made a stupid mistake in my maths.. whats a 5 sided shape... pentaon *thinks* crosses out an writes hexagon :banghead:
    Got r.e at one, in hoping to do well in this, i was 2 marks off a B in my mock exam, and that was from not revising, and ive revised this time so *fingers crossed*

Anyone know the actual date we get the results back? :confused:
  • Options
    i think its the 26th august. but it might be the 24th.
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    i think its the 26th august. but it might be the 24th.

Kewl. Ive got it written down somewhere, but not sure where :chin:

Good Luck to you all with the rest of your exams! :D
  • Options
    I've had some english, maths, science, citizenship (ugh), IT. I've just had health and social care and I found it pretty easy which was good :D I've still got food, 2 history ones, english maths and science left.... Shame I find all the modules in the second science exam harder... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    How'd those of you who did R.E today find it?

I did 8 and a half pages for the essay questions, mostly babbling on about crap but hopefully i'll get an A in that, as it's one of the only things i really can. The questions were easy, although the St. Peter's vision one [christianity] i basically rewrote as MLK's dream lol.
  • Options
    we did a different paper i think.

it was about abortion and poverty.
    i think i did pretty well actually, i know i screwed up a few cos i made bits of the teachings of the church of england up... (always my speciality)
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    we did a different paper i think.

it was about abortion and poverty.
    i think i did pretty well actually, i know i screwed up a few cos i made bits of the teachings of the church of england up... (always my speciality)

Mine was about the whole moral issues abortion and poverty thing, but i think we get different papers for different religions and things...

Although, was your last question one about whether the most important christian issue is the environment?

And the ripping the perforated paper.... that distracted me so much in the first exam :mad:
  • Options

i thought you were older (doofay i mean)!
  • Options
    :eek: I seem to get that a lot for some reason lol.