Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Troj help,

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I did a online virus scan and these was the result..

TROJ ISBAR.A X24
TROJ SMALL.AA X3
TROJ AGENT.CL X5
TORJ ISTBAR.B X2
TORJ ISTBAR.K X1
TORJ ISTBAR.N X1
TORJ REVOP.F X23
TORJ ISTBAR.AG X1
TROJ WINTRIM.AH X1
TORJ SMALL.EU X2
TORJ SMALL.FO X1
TORJ ISTBAR.I X2
TORJ BRISS.A X1
TORJ BRISS.H X1
TORJ LALUS.A X4
JOKE RUSS.A X3
TROJ SWIZZOR.AG X1
TORJ IPONS.A X1

Now I have no upto date virus software and can't download it as my pc is running on a 56k and D/C from the net every 2hours..

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    format?

    or get AVG!

    surely antivirus updates aren't *that* big to warrent not getting them?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Possible solutions then -

    Format and reinstall.

    Buy an AV package from a shop.

    Download something with a download manager.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    get a faster connection. :p
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by noog
    format?

    or get AVG!

    surely antivirus updates aren't *that* big to warrent not getting them?

    AVG works for me, and I have 56k dial-up connection at home.

    Still get too many trip-outs. Damn crappy little viallge, damn crappy BT low broadband signal...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Formatting dont delete files so theres no point in that. Most of them trojans will most likely be active after a format anyway so its best to get an antivirus and then format after its clean to be safe.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by RudeBwoy
    Formatting dont delete files so theres no point in that. Most of them trojans will most likely be active after a format anyway so its best to get an antivirus and then format after its clean to be safe.

    Sorry but that is just rubbish.

    If you format a drive, *everything* on it has gone.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not all of those are Trojans. Istbar (which accounts for 5 items in Hellfire's report) is actually a piece of spyware. You can remove Istbar using Ad-aware. I only did this today with a customer's PC.

    Troj.small is definitely a Trojan.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Mist
    Sorry but that is just rubbish.

    If you format a drive, *everything* on it has gone.

    No everything is not gone, when you format a drive all the files on that drive are classed as reusable within the FAT file database table. When you format every file in every cluster of ROM is allowed to be written on.

    So for example if you install a 1gb game and uninstall it again, the game is still on your system until you overwrite it with other files.

    If you want a detailed explination then id be happy to sit here and write it up.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    Not all of those are Trojans. Istbar (which accounts for 5 items in Hellfire's report) is actually a piece of spyware. You can remove Istbar using Ad-aware. I only did this today with a customer's PC.

    Troj.small is definitely a Trojan.

    Agreed, also JOKE RUSS.A X3 is just a joke trojan, nothing harmful.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by RudeBwoy
    No everything is not gone, when you format a drive all the files on that drive are classed as reusable within the FAT file database table. When you format every file in every cluster of ROM is allowed to be written on.

    So for example if you install a 1gb game and uninstall it again, the game is still on your system until you overwrite it with other files.

    If you want a detailed explination then id be happy to sit here and write it up.

    Feel free, and I will happily sit here and say how wrong you are.

    Granted, if you delete something the OS does not sit there and overwrite all the previously occupied space with ones and zeros. I know that you can recover stuff.

    However, If you format the drive, then what is on that drive is, to all intents and purposes, gone. Including trojans. They are not magical data creatures that can survive a format.

    I'm not talking about uninstalling / deleting things. I'm talking about formatting the drive. Please don't patronise me, I know what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you had child porn on your PC and formatted it, how do you think the police can still find the images on the hard drive?? Because they have software that can view non-destroyed files and they can see everything thats been on the computer in each individual cluster.

    ===========================================

    A hard drive is made up of clusters and sectors. When a file is made it may be split so various clusters for example:

    You save a word document as doc1.doc. This files may go to clustor "32","76'034" and "3765". The file has been split and placed into these free spaces on the FAT file system. Them 3 clusters are then classed as being used and will remain non-volatile.

    When this file gets removed the file allocation table will then class these clusters as reusable and mark them so that another file can be placed on there but its not deleted at all.

    When you format a drive, the computer sorts the FAT and marks every single clustor as reusable again therefor appearing to have a whole new shiny clean hard drive but in fact the files are still there, you just dont know it. Now that every file has been marked reusable, the system doesnt need to give it any resources so it will run faster knowing that only a few files are being used.

    As you install and add files after a format, the old files are bing overwritten and only when you overwrite a file is when the old data is obselete.
    ===========================================

    Theres a very brief description for you, if you still dont agree then fine i dont want an argument over something as petty as this.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Mist
    Feel free, and I will happily sit here and say how wrong you are.

    Please don't patronise me, I know what I'm talking about.
    your wrong he's right. last october i forcibly removed someones pc and handed it to the law as being suspected of containing child porn. i asked lots of questions.
    the answers were the same as rudeboys.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Troj help,
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    Now I have no upto date virus software and can't download it as my pc is running on a 56k and D/C from the net every 2hours..
    i'm on 56k at the mo and whilst typing this to you i am uploading a tune. it's slow yes but it works.
    have a look round the web for 'panda platinum avs' ...there doing a free six months with auto updates etc. sorry i haven't the link.
    have you had a listen to my tuoons? you can on 56k. just choose lo fi when asked. i'm putting those tunes there with this 56k while i'm on here without difficulty.
    i'll see if i can find you a link to software thingy.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    your wrong he's right. last october i forcibly removed someones pc and handed it to the law as being suspected of containing child porn. i asked lots of questions.
    the answers were the same as rudeboys.

    but that's not the argument here, the data can be recovered with specialist tools, but formatting is a sure fire (but granted a little lazy) way of making sure your system is clean from viruses and trojans.

    name one virus that can restore itself from a formatted harddrive onto a clean windows install without user intervention.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by noog
    but that's not the argument here, the data can be recovered with specialist tools, but formatting is a sure fire (but granted a little lazy) way of making sure your system is clean from viruses and trojans.

    name one virus that can restore itself from a formatted harddrive onto a clean windows install without user intervention.

    Indeed. ;)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ok i can't beat you at this game!
    thats what the old bill told me but ...as you say this is about viruses so i'll watch you lot hammer it out and learn something.
    whoever is wrong ...will you be big enough to hold up your hands?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I just got AVG downloaded it.. only 6mb.. :) was impressed...

    scanning through them atm slows my pc a little but seems fine :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    your wrong he's right. last october i forcibly removed someones pc and handed it to the law as being suspected of containing child porn. i asked lots of questions.
    the answers were the same as rudeboys.

    Thanx for the backup there, im glad at least one person agrees.

    I didnt know you was about viruses in general and i appologise, but surely theres gotta be one virus that can recover itself?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by RudeBwoy
    Thanx for the backup there, im glad at least one person agrees.

    I didnt know you was about viruses in general and i appologise, but surely theres gotta be one virus that can recover itself?

    viruses are basically programs, or processes that run aren't they? If you think of them in biological terms, they are very simple organisms. They need to be active though - this can be done by just scanning them, or anything. But if you delete all the entries of them from the file allocation table (ie: formatting), then how can the computer even scan this file, or identify it. It's just seen as zeros and ones, completely indistinguishable.

    If you want to take a computer down without this problem, you need a prion (not actually a computer thing) :p or at least, something that doesn't actually need to be alive to cause damage. Anyway. Kill the virus, it won't return unless you resurrect it. Or so that's the theory.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well here's the results from AVG
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by RudeBwoy
    Thanx for the backup there, im glad at least one person agrees.


    It's not a question of agreeing really, I said way back up the thread that I know what you mean, I was trying to say that it doesn't matter with respect to these viruses.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Right.. I got tauscan which is ment to detect and clear my trojans except it doesn't see them, I got AVG anti virus and it detects them, can't heal the files but cannot stick them into the virus vault either.. what do I do?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just an FYI

    There are a small number of virus that can low level format's, in respect to trojans, which typically require to have the program lauch in a stealth mode, are extremley unlikely to be able to survice a standard low level format.

    RudeBwoy is technically correct that you can recover information from PC's after a format, consumer programs such as File Scavenger can do wonders for that "lost" document.

    However, there are ways to securely format the drive, using what is more commonly known as a "shredding" method.

    On track though, more viruses are being released into the open, although a high proportion of these virus fail to get above Low rating with CERT (Computer Emergency Response Team), FedCIRC (Federal Computer Incident Response Centre), CSRC (Computer Security Response Centre), as well as the likes of McAfee's, Norton, F-Secure etc., the reason behind this could possible be that a high proportion of these viruses are being written, using the term loosley, by people with little knowledge in coding, mostly likely using a virus generator, and they simply name and send it out.

    The more potent viruses over the last few years have exposed flaws in certain area's of an Op System, example there was the Blaster worm, which was infecting PC's and moving on quick, caused untold havoc by tying up network traffic, taking out PC's as it went along.

    To a certain respect, these can be avoided by common sense,

    1. Keep you PC upto date on it's patches
    2. Keep Ant-Virus software upto date, there are free AV programs available (AVG - www.grisoft.com, AVAST www.avast.com)
    3. Keep a Firewall running, again numerous free ones out there, one of there best is Sygate's
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Valkyrie
    Just an FYI

    There are a small number of virus that can low level format's, in respect to trojans, which typically require to have the program lauch in a stealth mode, are extremley unlikely to be able to survice a standard low level format.

    RudeBwoy is technically correct that you can recover information from PC's after a format, consumer programs such as File Scavenger can do wonders for that "lost" document.

    However, there are ways to securely format the drive, using what is more commonly known as a "shredding" method.

    On track though, more viruses are being released into the open, although a high proportion of these virus fail to get above Low rating with CERT (Computer Emergency Response Team), FedCIRC (Federal Computer Incident Response Centre), CSRC (Computer Security Response Centre), as well as the likes of McAfee's, Norton, F-Secure etc., the reason behind this could possible be that a high proportion of these viruses are being written, using the term loosley, by people with little knowledge in coding, mostly likely using a virus generator, and they simply name and send it out.

    The more potent viruses over the last few years have exposed flaws in certain area's of an Op System, example there was the Blaster worm, which was infecting PC's and moving on quick, caused untold havoc by tying up network traffic, taking out PC's as it went along.

    To a certain respect, these can be avoided by common sense,

    1. Keep you PC upto date on it's patches
    2. Keep Ant-Virus software upto date, there are free AV programs available (AVG - www.grisoft.com, AVAST www.avast.com)
    3. Keep a Firewall running, again numerous free ones out there, one of there best is Sygate's

    Well my AVG updates everday automaticly and i check this.. So does my firewall and Tauscan tojan killer..

    AVG can kill them
    Tauscan can't find them
    and the firewall blocks them all bit it's the 150odd still left on my pc
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    Well my AVG updates everday automaticly and i check this.. So does my firewall and Tauscan tojan killer..

    AVG can kill them
    Tauscan can't find them
    and the firewall blocks them all bit it's the 150odd still left on my pc

    Okay, the 150 odd part means that your AVG isn't clearing them.

    Have you tried to run :

    Ad Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
    Spybot Search & Destroy - http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Both these are free programs to download, they both use similar detection routines, and will detect infect files, folders, regitry keys and values, as well as allow you to quarantine them, before deleting them from your system.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by noog
    but that's not the argument here, the data can be recovered with specialist tools, but formatting is a sure fire (but granted a little lazy) way of making sure your system is clean from viruses and trojans.

    name one virus that can restore itself from a formatted harddrive onto a clean windows install without user intervention.

    You're right.

    Noog is right, when a file is "deleted" all that happens is the PC tells the allocation system it can write there..

    This doesn't mean the PC will still RUN those files though.. they are as good as gone...

    Plus, you can get an agent that will wipe the drive clean pretty easily, and that includes trojans/child porn.. unfortunately.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Valkyrie
    Okay, the 150 odd part means that your AVG isn't clearing them.

    Have you tried to run :

    Ad Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
    Spybot Search & Destroy - http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Both these are free programs to download, they both use similar detection routines, and will detect infect files, folders, regitry keys and values, as well as allow you to quarantine them, before deleting them from your system.

    I'm not that stupid... I run a spy nbot search and destroy and it's clear now.. there was only 15.. where as I scanned with AVG last night and there was over 100... non of them could be cleaned..
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    I'm not that stupid... I run a spy nbot search and destroy and it's clear now.. there was only 15.. where as I scanned with AVG last night and there was over 100... non of them could be cleaned..

    Okay,

    So now check the logfile and it will indicate what registery keys / values, and / or files are supposed to be infected.

    No one system is going to give you total protection, I have run S & D on a virused box and it removed 5, Ad Aware removed 15, AVG told me there was still others on there.

    Have you run HIJack This ? http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

    It can help identfy virus code / torjan code set to run on start up, if you are having problems, make a copy of the log file and post it here, I am sure Mr Wobble, Myself or other can help identify virus triggers.
Sign In or Register to comment.