Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Exam question just made me think.. What would be yours..

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Exam question just made me think.. What would be yours..
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    One on my exam questions in my English 1900 Exam was "Decribe in your own words what would be your ideal school"

So people.. What would be yours..??

I'd write what I wrote in my exam but it was 4pages long:(
    My English exam was so different, and my questions were alot harder. :(
    Re: Re: Exam question just made me think.. What would be yours..
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    My English exam was so different, and my questions were alot harder. :(
    me too!

although the last question was real easy
    write about someone who impressed you, this can be someone you have met or read/heard about.
    g0g0g0!

my ideal school would be the one i'm at without the retards and with english speaking teachers.
    Originally posted by Psycho_Smurf
    That's cool :D Yeah I did higher. The first section was on american agricultural workers in the 1930s and the second section I chose to write a letter to the head to argue not to ban students from having saturday jobs... probably not the best choice of question for me but oh well....
    what others were on yours?

Well that sounds slightly more intelligent that the papers they give the kids in Essex! :rolleyes:

My ideal school would be like Jamie's, I wanna go to Hogwarts! :hyper:
    Re: Re: Re: Exam question just made me think.. What would be yours..
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    although the last question was real easy
    write about someone who impressed you, this can be someone you have met or read/heard about.
    Yeh me too! - Writing to inform, explain, and describe. Although I answered the alternative: "Write the script you would use on the radio to tell an older generation about one of the following, and its importance to you." I chose music. Heh :D
    Well that sounds slightly more intelligent that the papers they give the kids in Essex! :rolleyes:
    Ahem. :impissed:
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    for the last question I did 4A4 pages..
    Saying things like that can make people feel bad unnecessarily. I have tiny writing and a fairly concise way of making points when I'm under pressure so I write very little but I still do ok. I know a lot of people feel really bad when they see others writing loads and they aren't. That was for those people really, not you so much.
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Saying things like that can make people feel bad unnecessarily. I have tiny writing and a fairly concise way of making points when I'm under pressure so I write very little but I still do ok. I know a lot of people feel really bad when they see others writing loads and they aren't. That was for those people really, not you so much.

concise writing tends to get better marks. you will get marked down for unnecessary 'waffle'.

i've never gone over a word limit in my life, and i've done ok.
    I really liked that question!! I probably answered it all wrong and I didnt use similies or alliteration. I did use a list of 3..
    I based it all on a song by the ataris that I had stuck in my head.. so I called it "the best days of our lives?" and began by asking how this could be so when we were under so much pressure and had so many exams, then went on to describe how stress could be reduced, these could be the best days of our lives whilst still learning relative things for our chosen career, it had a 4 day week, own clothes, punk music, induviduality was encouraged whilst maintaining a strong sense of community so that there was support for those who needed it (which allows teens to develop into the best they can be), class wasnt compulsary so that it wasnt disrupted by those who didnt want to learn, only subjects which you needed were taught (eg:no complex maths if you werent going to become a scientist or mathmatician or similar), I quoted an AFI thing "Through our bleeding we are one" at one point, just because I love that idea, I said there should be a strong bond between teachers and pupils, and I had time at the end so I did a table of things wrong with the school system and how it could be improved, labelled it as planning and did a line through it..just in case they wanted planning..
    I really enjoyed it.
    But then I probably failed and answered it wrong.
    My mum said she was invited to go to Summerhill as a kid but her parents wouldnt let her...Id like it there I think.

The problem with my ideal school article is that it's implausable for the majority of the population and I wasnt sure if I was suggesting a plan or describing a dream, so I did both and explained how any problems could be solved and it was like a plan really..that I'd already got in my head before the exam because Im always dreaming about stuff like that!!!!! LOL!
    Someone who's good at English tell me if I was meant to do something different please!!
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Exam question just made me think.. What would be yours..
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    Yeh me too! - Writing to inform, explain, and describe. Although I answered the alternative: "Write the script you would use on the radio to tell an older generation about one of the following, and its importance to you." I chose music. Heh :D
    i was gonna do that, then i remembered how my supposed one page of script for drama ended up as five pages and was still unfinished and i just thought 'ahh screw that!'
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    Foundation or Higher?

higher. what did you do?
    Graeme it really isnt neccessary to post in every single remotely school related thread how you're getting all these great gcses. Some people try really fucking hard and get Ds or Es and are damned proud of them. And Rightly so. You're basically saying thats crap. So stfu.

My ideal school would be like mine, but without certain teachers :mad:
    Hellfire: You really need to either:

A) Sort your attitude out
    or
    B) stop lying it would seem, your posts are littered with grammatical errors. Theres no chance of you having pissed all over that English exam with such atrocious spelling.

Okay, so that out of the way, bit of a rant about you being a complete moron here. And i'm sure i'm speaking for 3/4 of the site here when i say: your attitude needs sorting the fuck out. You act completely cocky about your exams, you fish for complements, you basically make anything less than a B sound like sheer idiocy.

Do you realise how hard some people try? Some people i know try so hard on their coursework, put a ton of revision into these GCSEs, get everybody and their mother to test them, get into incredible self discipline, and won't get a single C, but will be so proud of their results. Obviously however, these people are complete morons. You need to stop acting like revision is for pussies, because you're a complete moron if you do no prep, and inspiring this action into other people is moronic don't you think?

You've probably put about a millionth of the effort into these exams and yet will still act like you deserve your results. We've established that you like showing off about your exam skill, you don't need to show off to every second person and make yourself into the focal point of every discussion about anything to do with intelligence. People are more likely to think of you as intelligent if you talk about how much effort you put into your exams, rather than sitting on a website and quite possibly upsetting some people who couldn't dream of getting the marks you get. You're acting like a complete bigheaded moron, and it really has further lowered people's opinion of you. Did you slink your way back onto this site thinking if you showed off about your exams that we'd all love you?

Fair enough that you're doing well in your exams, but stop being such an inconsiderate cunt. Maybe actually listen to what other people have to say for once, rather than responding to everyone's questions about you with big headed nonsense.

Ignore this like you have done everything else if you want, but you'll just lose the respect of the few who've been sticking up for you.

Duffy
    well said doof.

just one point:
    you're a complete moron if you do no prep

you're a complete moron if you didn't prepare when you really should have.

although you are totally right that encouraging others not to revise is twattish and irresponsible.
    Well said Doofay. And Kaffrin.

What amazes me is how he claims to be doing higher paper in english and is predicted A's or whatever it was. Now my English is far from perfect, but it seems weird that I was predicted the same as him.

edited to say: not sure whether the above makes sense or not. : \ will explain if needs be, but otherwise i can't be bothered.
    My God, a higher English exam asking you to describe your perfect school? Really, I do believe they are dumbing exams down after this. In my exam, we had to write a reprt in a broadsheet style of writing, some literary questions and that was that. The imaginative writing was done in bloody standard grade... Sorry if this annoys people, but I thought exams were supposed to stretch you. At 16/17, asking you to write an imaginative story isn't exactly going to stretch your writing skills... As for writing and grammar, I think you do write better in handwriting than you do on the keyboard. I make loads of mistakes on the keyboard, like mixing up -ing in words like 'runnign' and stuff, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I always need to fix them before I post my reply. Just thought I'd say that.
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    My God, a higher English exam asking you to describe your perfect school?
    It's about atmosphere, about making the examiner being able to smell the gourmet cuisine from the canteen and see the vibrant wall displays. It's actually not so easy to get good marks on that sort of question. As someone said earlier, too many people fall into the trap of just saying "my ideal school would be small, with just my best friends and all the nice teachers but no horrible ones..."
    Mine today was " describe a shopping centre when it's open and describe a shopping centre when it's shut". It was quite fun actually :crazyeyes
    Surely the question on an ideal school is designed to test you on your language skills, your ability to make something up, which can be backed up with reasoning, draw on wider knowledge.. I drew on random statistics I could remember, like the increase in stress, SI, suicide etc because of exams, and used that as a reason as to why exams would be decreased in my school, and I wrote reasons like "to allow the teenager to grow up into a well developed person, as they'd be able to help others, as well as being able to accept their support", and shit like that as reasons as to why punk music was compulsary!! (solidarity, unity, individuality, better thinkers therefore more developments in science, technology, etc blah blah blah) I really enjoyed that exam question!!!!!!! Im not sure if Ive answered this already, but people really piss me off saying exams have gotten easier, and I agree with the guy in the guardian article we had to analyse in the exam..
    Exams are not getting easier, this did have scope to stretch people, and persuasive language, emotive language, anything could be used.. it was fun. :) i wish we could do english language a-level, but our school only does literature.. should still be fun though.
    Argh! Imaginative writing is not the domain of an exam though! Fair enough if it was for the portfolio, but not an exam. I do think exams are getting easier, because the last time I had to do any imaginative writing for Standard Grade English.... Higher English exams should be about testing how you can argue a case, back it up with examples, draw on a variety of texts from different genres, how persuasive your writing is from a litery argument pov, not how your ideal school would be! I mean, anyone can do that. The only thing you've said is
    It's about atmosphere, about making the examiner being able to smell the gourmet cuisine from the canteen and see the vibrant wall displays.
    Anyone with a half decent grasp of language and a good imagination can do that. It takes a certain amount of intelligence yes, but it doesn't really test how you can balance up the pros and cons of arguments, put forward a case and support it with evidence. Exams are getting easier, either that or kids are getting thicker...
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow

It takes a certain amount of intelligence yes, but it doesn't really test how you can balance up the pros and cons of arguments, put forward a case and support it with evidence. Exams are getting easier, either that or kids are getting thicker...

Testing that sort of thing is on a different paper... It's not all this type of stuff. There's 3 papers and only one of them has that sort of describe question. There's plenty of stuff that does stretch your intelligence, there's a section on analysing poetry and a book, and a whole section on persuasive writing . Testing your imagination and language in a question like the ones on this thread are just examples of questions from ONE section, the whole exam isn't made up of easy questions like them.
    Isn't Standard Grade the rough equivilent of GCSEs anyway though?
    Mine today was " describe a shopping centre when it's open and describe a shopping centre when it's shut". It was quite fun actually :crazyeyes

I did the holiday one.
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    Isn't Standard Grade the rough equivilent of GCSEs anyway though?

Yeah, roughly.... I'm doing my gcses atm and my cousin whose in the year above me is doing his standards grades now too.
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    I did the holiday one.

Yeah... I thought about doing that one but I wasn't sure I'd be able to remember much about the holidays I've been on seeing as they were years + years ago! Was that a describe one too? Or explain or somthing?
    Yeah... I thought about doing that one but I wasn't sure I'd be able to remember much about the holidays I've been on seeing as they were years + years ago! Was that a describe one too? Or explain or somthing?

Yeah, it was describe a holiday place, why you would reccommed it etc. I could have written pages&pages!