Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Politics & Debate

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondering if anyone else found it a bit daunting going in there? I have just been in & had my say as i am interested in a few debates.
Just wondered if anyone else felt like its daunting lol.

:o

Comments

• Options
    If by "daunting" you mean, full of pricks who are not interested in politics or debate but are only interested in telling everyone why their beliefs are the ones to follow; then yes.

How did you mean exactly?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    If by "daunting" you mean, full of pricks who are not interested in politics or debate but are only interested in telling everyone why their beliefs are the ones to follow; then yes.

How did you mean exactly?

Well i am not thick but i am not brain of britain either & i always feel like lots know much more than me in there & that i will be eaten alive lol.
    Ask Becky, i know she used to say the same only i think she goes in there now.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit

:yes:

Every debate ends with Blagsta and someone else having a slanging match. It gets a bit boring.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Ah, I understand now. What you have to remember is some people have a deep, deep interest in politics and debate. As well as this, some of them did pretty well with English when they were at school and consequently they know quite a few big words. On top of that, they are willing to read every post no-matter how long over and over again. This is because they enjoy debate (although recently it seems to suck a little).

Some of them gain great pleasure in ruining people who don't know much about the subject but want to contribute. This means that any credit that they would gain from being interested and good at debate (if there was ever any to be gained) is effectively destroyed because they are not in it for debate.

Furthermore, some people will never be able to understand why some have such firm beliefs in one thing and others have such firm beliefs in the opposite.
  • Options
    I sometimes go in for a look but I always feel a bit out of my depth. I don't take an active interest in politics etc, so I don't really know enough to post. From what I've seen it's not as civilised a board as the name suggests. In fact it's pretty vicious.
  • Options
    Yeah well my English isn't great, so i will probably be moaned at.
    I am not into some things but some really interest me & i want to take part, i guess i will have to see how it goes lol.
  • Options
    I find the best thing to do is usually write your opinion and leave! You know if you go back to the same thread again that you'll encounter the same argument over and over!
  • Options
    I never go there; I think the word 'politics' puts me off - hated it since I did it for A-Level (after thinknig it would be interesting).

But hey I do like a bit of mass debating from time to time ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocks
    But hey I do like a bit of mass debating from time to time ;)

lol someone just had to say that!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Re: Politics & Debate
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Just wondering if anyone else found it a bit daunting going in there? I have just been in & had my say as i am interested in a few debates.

:yes: it scares me in there. i feel unworthy of an opinion cos i am not intellectual enough.
  • Options

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Politics & Debate
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    :yes: it scares me in there. i feel unworthy of an opinion cos i am not intellectual enough.

You really shouldn't. Noone in there is better than you, that is the attitude you need to take, because basically it is true.
  • Options
    Anyone who is intimidated about going in there - lukesh goes in there. 'Nuff said.

Though in the last month or two it's been a crock of shit. Unless you like petty insults, then it's the place to be.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio

Though in the last month or two it's been a crock of shit. Unless you like petty insults, then it's the place to be.

So, exactly like the other forums then :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    So, exactly like the other forums then :p

Shh! I'm trying to encourage people. The more people there are, there are more opinions. The more (reasonable) opinions there are, the more there is to debate.

If that fails, there are more people to call stupid names when you disagree with them.
  • Options
    It's a shame that people find it so "daunting", because they really don't need to.

Because it is about politiocs some people will be more knowledgable, but if you show an intelligent opinion (not necessaruily meaning facts, but ideas) then you'll get a fair hearing.

Basically everybody should come in. It has been very poor recently, because it has been about immigration and immigration with a side order of immigration, so God knwos some new blood is needed.

But if anyone thinks they are too "stupid" to come in they are wrong- I doubt they are as stupid as half the trolls we see in there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

Basically everybody should come in. It has been very poor recently, because it has been about immigration and immigration with a side order of immigration, so God knwos some new blood is needed.

But if anyone thinks they are too "stupid" to come in they are wrong- I doubt they are as stupid as half the trolls we see in there.
    listen to kermit.
    come on over. if i can get away with it you lot can.
    it is a lot tougher though than anything goes. it is after all about life and death ...war ...weaponry ...imigration being at the top of the tedious charts ...famine ...rights and wrongs ...the environment ...peodophiles ...racists and racism.
    so yeah there are fists flying quite often.
    it's how it should be considering what goes onn in peoples hearts and minds in there.
    role ya sleeves up ...be prepared to duck.
    not for the over sensetive.
    but ...lukesh comes to mind. a young guy who doesn't present any argument or debate just says things ...repeats some belief system that he has as yet not made his own. he is getting grief ...to heavy under the circumstances. i've pm'd him a few times encouraging him to stick with it ...so yes ...it's pretty crazy in there but ...i actualy believe the mods perform extremely well in there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

I concur. There are some right idiots in there....

I feel I can float in there and I dont see my self as that argumentative. I feel very Political though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    I
    I feel very Political though.
    exactly why the place is so passionate and aflame some times.
  • Options
    Remember folks its not just politics in that forum its for debates, so if you have a good topic to debate then go there and start it.

Once upon a time id shit myself in there, I used to be scared to post sometimes because i knew that id get the shit ripped out of me by posters who were good at writing and knew how to word things. All you need to do is go to that forum and read a few posts, get a feel for the place and see who is more likely to have a go at you then if they do dont be scared just give them as much as they give you.
    Dont let a few people put you off because at the end of the day we all have our views and it would be good to get a few views from people who wouldnt normally post in that forum.
    I used to think that in the politics forum they were all brainboxes and i was a thicko but now I tend to think that some are good at writing which makes them look intelligent, so I dont let them scare me no more.
    Just post in threads which dont get too political or in threads where you know you have no knowledge because then your more likely to have someone trying to pick you up on your lack of knowledge in that subject.

Come to that forum and start some new topics, but do us a favour.............dont do fooking immigration cos its getting on everyones tits at the moment :D
  • Options
    Thread hijacking is awful there though. Like Kermit said everyone talks about immigration! Start a thread on schooling and it'll end up on how immigrants are or aren't helping the system.

But I think the more new people the better - with the same people all the time there's a lot of personal feelings flying about, for example with ladymuck and lukesh on one side of every debate, there's always aladdin and blagsta on the other. Because of this even in non-argumentative threads the tensions between the two 'groups' can lead to arguments.

Or so I've seen. More people though will hopefully help more opinions get out onto the debate, and people won't go round and round in circles!

p.s sorry for mentioning the guys up above; it's just something I've observed!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

get a feel for the place and see who is more likely to have a go at you then if they do dont be scared just give them as much as they give you.
    PMSL! oh becky that llittle bit says so much about that place.
    it can't realy be any other way though.
    hats off to the mods in there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Remember folks its not just politics in that forum its for debates, so if you have a good topic to debate then go there and start it.

Thats what i like debates :D.
    Just post in threads which dont get too political or in threads where you know you have no knowledge because then your more likely to have someone trying to pick you up on your lack of knowledge in that subject.

Thats what i planned to do heh.
  • Options
    Re: Politics & Debate
    Originally posted by Tweety

Yes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    PMSL! oh becky that llittle bit says so much about that place.

Well its not as bad as I made it sound. I might have just scared a few more people :lol:
  • Options
    It can be daunting in there, I don't doubt it, and yes there are a huge number of insults. So why not do what I do, ignore them and concentrate on the points being made.

If you are going to post something then try to give a reason for your opinion, it's not doing that which drives us mad. Holding a view is one thing but backing it up and understanding why you believe something is another.

Don't be afraid to be questioned, if you offer reasoned comments then you will be treated with respect.

Most of all, don't be afraid. We're all just human, with the same frailties as you guys.

Be prepared to question your own judgement too. You might actually be wrong, I have certainly changed my view on a few issues because of what I have learned there.

Remember though that politics is an emotive issue, so you will always get some arguements.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Be prepared to question your own judgement too. You might actually be wrong, I have certainly changed my view on a few issues because of what I have learned there.

This is very true, its how we learn sometimes.
  • Options
    It has got somewhat better in the last few days, the last couple of weeks before that were grim.

I say come to the Drug forum, everyone is nice there, friendly and nice. Come, ask a question, enjoy the nibbles.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    It has got somewhat better in the last few days, the last couple of weeks before that were grim.

I say come to the Drug forum, everyone is nice there, friendly and nice. Come, ask a question, enjoy the nibbles.

Thats cause i joined in lol...ok maybe not.