Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

showers at school

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When I was at secondary school, I remember the communal showers we were forced to have after games lessons. Do schools still do this? I found it really humiliating and embarrassing. It's horrible to have to do that when you are so aware of your body changing. You didn't even have to wash, just run through and get wet, so the purpose wasn't even fulfilled.

Did you have to have forced communal showers or was it just my evil school? How can that sort of treatment fit in with freedom and privacy laws?

Comments

• Options
    When I was in secondary school (well I still am technically) there were showers for after games lessons. You didnt have to use them though. I think most people were self concious. You would always get the one guy strutting about naked though :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't know any schools that do this here. But I don't think it's all that wrong. As I said before, I think nudity and sexuality should be seperated in people's minds, and this could help, especially since it's in a young age. Of course, it still helps to make you cleaner.
  • Options
    We were made to when we had a particular teacher, i swear she only wanted to perve at us...i hated it & it was like you pussykatty, we just had to get wet!
  • Options
    yeah we have those here, when we were like 11-16 no one really used them, but now in 6th form weve all grown up a bit some people will use them if they have to rush off to work or something. They boys used them from 13+ though, showin thier bits off :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The boys at our school were forced to use communal showers, the girls however had individual showers.

If you walk down the street naked you'd get arrested.

If you take a child and force them to strip off you'd get arrested

So I don't see why it's acceptable to force school kids to get naked and shower together.

They should definetly have individual showers
  • Options
    i stop doing games lessons a year ago, and never had showers to use which i would have gladly taken the advantage of as doing games in 30 plus heat, and then an hour on a bus full of annoying little pricks isn't nice.
  • Options
    Originally posted by luby
    i stop doing games lessons a year ago, and never had showers to use which i would have gladly taken the advantage of as doing games in 30 plus heat, and then an hour on a bus full of annoying little pricks isn't nice.

Yes, having a shower is nice.

Having to run through a row of showers naked in front of your classmates is not pleasant, and does not get you clean.
  • Options
    Ah yes, we had to do this at middle school, but not secondary school... when the teacher wasn't looking, we'd take our towel in and stick our head underneath... they were none the wiser...
  • Options
    From 1st to 10th grade we were forced to do it in school. There were three or four years where I hated it and often found a way to avoid it. The other years it was absolutely no problem.

Now that I am in high school/college we are sorta expected to do it but nobody is watching so the choice is actually ours. In general, most of us take a shower and there are no problems.

It's also what we need to do when going to the swimming pools here. Again, I've never had a problem with it.
  • Options
    I think it's more essential for the boys to shower because we played football & rugby & got covered in mud so it's nice to wash it off instead of walking around the rest of the school day with mud over you:yuck:

I think with the boys it was just a case of getting on with it & you didn't go in the showers to look at the other boys bits you went in there to wash the mud off of you.

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    At my school they have them in both the boys and the girls changing rooms. the boys have to have one (yet never seem to complain about it...) and the girls can have one if they want but in the 5 years I've been there no one has.
  • Options
    always been showers there... never had them tho. we get back and have about 5 minutes to get changed and get to the next lesson, how we're supposed to have a shower too god knows!
  • Options
    A prep school we used to have communal showers, and the housemaster used to stand there ticking you off as you had them. This new guy was appointed and came straight in as housemaster, and soon after he started he came round to our dormitories and said, in basic terms, "You do not need to cover your privates when having a shower, its totally unnecessary". And this was the bloke who looked at us as we showered!

He left two years later with a nervous breakdown. But both my schools had installed individual showers by the time I left them.
  • Options
    We were made to go into the showers after games until we was in year 9, if we refused we would get detention. Although like most we didnt have a proper shower just ran through as quickly as we could because it was embarrassing.
  • Options
    they never made us shower. we used to sorta rinse upper body over the basins though.

and in summer water fights with the fountains was sufficient! such fun!!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    Yes, having a shower is nice.

Having to run through a row of showers naked in front of your classmates is not pleasant, and does not get you clean.

i was consitantly teased for having the biggest boobs in my year from year 6 up till year 8. so i'm quite glad they didn't have showers at any of my schools. i would have had everyone trying to get a peak...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    The girls in my school got individual cubicles with curtains over them, the boys however had the communal "run through" showers. One of the male teachers used to watch them to make sure they'd actually gone through which I think is pretty disgusting.

It is nice to have a shower if you've got time and if you want one, but I think the decision should be entirely up to you. At our school for a couple of years the games teachers would come in and ask you why you hadn't had a shower if you went straight to get dressed, but most girls just told her they were on their period.

I think it is terrible insensitive of schools to have these types of showers though, they should be aware of the fact that young people are most likely to be body-conscious as they are going through puberty etc. and experiences like this are not going to be helpful.
  • Options
    i remember that there were showers in our changing rooms, but they hadn't been used for about 10 years before i got there.

so, we were never made to have showers or anything :confused:

was that unusual then? did most other schools have showers then??
  • Options
    Re: showers at school
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    When I was at secondary school, I remember the communal showers we were forced to have after games lessons. Do schools still do this? I found it really humiliating and embarrassing. It's horrible to have to do that when you are so aware of your body changing. You didn't even have to wash, just run through and get wet, so the purpose wasn't even fulfilled.

Did you have to have forced communal showers or was it just my evil school? How can that sort of treatment fit in with freedom and privacy laws?
    We never had showers at school. The facilities to shower had been condemned a couple of years before I got there and were not mended during the 7 years that I was at school. Thank God. I can't think of anything worse, especially at that age.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    I didn't have a problem with showering with the rest of the lads. It's a fucking shower - not a sexual thing. No ones eyeing you up - even if they were bent they wouldn't dare for fear of being caught.

You need to shower or you stink.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    We had the showers at secondary school, but not everyone used them.... if we'd been playing rugby or football or something, and got all dirty, most of us'd just go in wearing shorts and rinse the mud off... i don't think anyone ever bothered with a proper shower though.
  • Options
    We had showers, but none of the girls used them as we didn't exert ourselves enough to need to, hehe! Some of the lads used their showers though, but only the 'cool' ones who secretly thought the girls had a spy hole for perving :rolleyes: ;)
  • Options
    most people showered, at least the girls, god knows what went on in the boys locker room... anywyas, so shower after phy ed class. especially after swimming. but i always forgot my clothes or shoes or had cramps so i never did anything that would warrent a shower. plus they all wanted my body and i wouldn't let them touch me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    most people showered, at least the girls, god knows what went on in the boys locker room... anywyas, so shower after phy ed class. especially after swimming. but i always forgot my clothes or shoes or had cramps so i never did anything that would warrent a shower. plus they all wanted my body and i wouldn't let them touch me.
    I don't recall doing anything in PE that might have made me sweat either!
  • Options
    i used to not only lose sweat. i chiped 2 teeth while playing rugby.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crispy
    I think it's more essential for the boys to shower because we played football & rugby & got covered in mud

as opposed to the girls, who just sit there filing their nails for an hour a week?

yes, we were forced to do this right the way through school. not only that, but in the last 2 years of primary school, we had to walk, in our towels, from the classroom where we'd got changed, through corridors and 2 main working areas and past the main entrance to the shower room. and back. wet. scarred for life, much?

mercifully by the time i was in year 10, they had fitted curtains on the showers so you had some sliver of privacy.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I used to get a quick wash, clean myself up a bit and clean off the mud. Teachers never bothered after the whole "fuck off we aint showering near you, you gay perverted peadophilic teacher" event...
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

mercifully by the time i was in year 10, they had fitted curtains on the showers so you had some sliver of privacy.

lucky you. our showers at the school were nothing more than a big open room in the back of the locker room with about 15 sprayers attached to the walls and in the middle. privacy. NONE.
  • Options
    Same as Skive, i don't think for males anyway that showering together was really that big a thing. No lad would really take the piss out of another lad's tackle as they would probably get called gay. I've never really done the naked shower thing, we had run through showers but when people showered we were allowed to wear shorts and washed properly. I didn't do so much in the last 2 years, although made sure i wasn't covered in mud all day. I don't think its really anything like the big phsycological event people seem to think it is. Find someone who's been scarred for life from showering naked :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

they had fitted curtains on the showers so you had some sliver of privacy.

When we had curtains fitted (a couple of years before permanent private showers were put in) there was always a big draught... pretty useless that made them, as either they'd fly out, exposing you, or would fly in and stick to your body, and not shielding much!

God I hate shower curtains.