Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Camping Tips

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm going on my very first camping trip on Wednesday to France for 5 days .. going to Le Mans

Any tips?

Got my sleeping bag, a 3 man tent (all to myself), inflateable pillow, friend is bringing some disposable BBQ's, got 3 torches, a radio, towels, toilets rolls, etc

What else do I need?

What's good to cook on a open air BBQ / Gas Burner ?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Re: Camping Tips
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I'm going on my very first camping trip on Wednesday to France for 5 days .. going to Le Mans

Any tips?

Got my sleeping bag, a 3 man tent (all to myself), inflateable pillow, friend is bringing some disposable BBQ's, got 3 torches, a radio, towels, toilets rolls, etc

What else do I need?

What's good to cook on a open air BBQ / Gas Burner ?

Don't go. :p

Err, well I went camping for my D of E award, and I didn't really like it. We had to do a lot of map reading and walking with all our things and I didn't like the people I was with so really, that ruined it for me. I remember cooking something but I dropped it on the floor. I probably lived on biscuits and other things that didn't need cooking. I expect the weather will be lovely, but you should still take a waterproof jacket of some description just incase. Don't forget your teddy.
  • Options
    Sun cream, a rain jacket and lots of pairs of socks in case it rains!
  • Options
    extra blankets cos it does get cold at night!
  • Options
    keep your matches dry.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    keep your matches dry.

I gotta a lighter!! :D
  • Options
    Take tons of carrier bags! these are good for all sorts of things, from keeping stuff dry, to seperating things in your bag, eg. food and dirty washing! Also, as someone else has mentioned, take lots more underwear than you need, especially socks! You could also do with a rollmat to sleep on, otherwise you'll get quite cold. Really cheap ones are about £5...
  • Options
    Beer.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kate1
    Take tons of carrier bags! these are good for all sorts of things, from keeping stuff dry, to seperating things in your bag, eg. food and dirty washing! Also, as someone else has mentioned, take lots more underwear than you need, especially socks! You could also do with a rollmat to sleep on, otherwise you'll get quite cold. Really cheap ones are about £5...

There is a canvas base to my tent but I was thinking of taking a small fleece blanket I have to put under my sleeping bag to soften the ground more then anything from stones, etc.

My friend did a test packing of the car and reckons it's gonna be a tight squeeze.

Carrier bags are a good idea. And and maybe flip flops
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Sleep in just your boxers or underware and you will allow heat in the air to circulate around your body easier thus keeping you warmer.

Do this at your own risk - I went camping in France once and woke up with some strange bald guy standing over me smoking a cigar and a big red ring round my butt hole :(

Ahhhh Jean-Claude, ze assmaster :heart:
  • Options
    Some herbs and seasoning, just in case the bears and coyotes decide to roast you for dinner. :razz:

Make sure you bring your i.d, if your body is recovered, they will be able to identify it. :thumb:

jus playing. ;) I'm only getting you back for those damn frog legs. :mad: :p

I went camping a couple weeks ago(don't die of shock because we stayed in actual tents and I didn't cheat), we ate tin foil dinners. I didn't make it but all they did was get like carrots, peas, onions, and meat and wrap it in tin foil and put it on the fire for about an hour. We kept checking back on it to see if it was burning and it was suprisingly pretty good. :yum:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blnde_BombShell
    Some herbs and seasoning, just in case the bears and coyotes decide to roast you for dinner. :razz:

Bears and coyotes in France? :rolleyes:

Take a length of rope. This can come in useful for MANY purposes and it takes up next to no room. I always take one and I`ve always used it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I gotta a lighter!! :D

If you try and light a bbq or a gas stove in the open with a lighter your liable to get your fingers burnt - your much better off with matches (you can buy waterproof ones you know) or better still extra long matches.

BBQ's are easy to cook on but you can only do food you can bbq like burgers and sausages if you want to eat anything else (eggs, beans, soup etc) then you will need to use a gas stove or cook on an open fire.

Though your in france and its probably going to be hot so you might not need to cook that much anyway. You can get some really lovely food in france anyway and if you want to save money then go to restaurants at lunch time and have the fixed price menu - its cheeper and you get 3 courses for a ridiculolsly cheap price.

Yumm...
  • Options
    insect repelent stick, a water carrier, wet wipes, plasters and bin bags.
  • Options
    a couple of those disposable barbeques, but its worth taking a one ring campinggaz stove. The cheap ones are just as good as the more expensive ones. Ive seen em for about a fiver. I would certainly take something more than a fleece blanket to soften the ground.
    *loves camping*
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I would certainly take something more than a fleece blanket to soften the ground.

:yes: Rainbow Brite is right, you do need something more than a fleece blanket. It's not even so much the comfort factor, it's more to do with being in contact with the ground... if you have your sleeping bag compressed onto a cold hard ground, you'll be rather chilly... Seriously, £5 from argos for a rollmat :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kate1
    :yes: Rainbow Brite is right, you do need something more than a fleece blanket. It's not even so much the comfort factor, it's more to do with being in contact with the ground... if you have your sleeping bag compressed onto a cold hard ground, you'll be rather chilly... Seriously, £5 from argos for a rollmat :yes:

If I had the room I'd be taking all sorts, but we only got a megan for 4 people - 3 tents, a set of chairs and table, etc.

I've got some rope and a canvas sheet, can use it to make a shade or something. More worried about the lack of electricity.