Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Making phone calls using an internet connection...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    no i seriously doubt its possible to riing a landline or mobile via the internet, however it is possible for you to ring another computer and speak that way
  • Options
    A few years ago there were a couple of companies offering actual phone calls to landlines in the UK from your PC. You just had to have pop up ads running continously while connected. It worked ok on dial up, though there was a slight delay, like when talking internationally. Can't remember who the companies were now.
    I used them to talk with a girlfriend up here before I moved up here to be with her. Saved myself quite a bit of money over the months I used it.
    If the other persons got a computer connected to the net, then there are plenty of voice chat options available.
  • Options
    easy question ...just use MSn messenger and say I wanna phone someone - it's aint free but it is cheaper then phonebox!!
  • Options
    think it was either last month or this month's pc pro/computer shopper that they had an entire article about this. will ahve a rummage around and see if i can find it.
  • Options
    The best thing to do is to set yourselve up with AIM, MSN or Trillian messenger and run a two-way chat using microphones. I've done this quite a few times. All it's costing you is the electricity to run your computer :-p plus your monthly broadband/dial-up flat rate.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by jake0
    no i seriously doubt its possible to riing a landline or mobile via the internet, however it is possible for you to ring another computer and speak that way

it totally is..

you either need a voip phone, which plugs into an ethernet socket on a network or a software "ip phone" running on your computer with a headset...

you can get a voip account all over the place, and calls to landlines are dirt cheap, no matter where you call...

also if you have a pbx attached into your network you can play about with multiple incomming connections!

either way it'll act just like a normal telephone line , it'll have it's own number that is diallable from the UK, normally an 0845 number,
  • Options
    i think tiscali are offering it for free if you use them as your isp ...not sure i only skimmed the info. maybe worth a check.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i think tiscali are offering it for free if you use them as your isp ...not sure i only skimmed the info. maybe worth a check.

I doubt they'll let you dial a UK landline for "free" otherwise every **** and his dog would be using it , there are alot of voip services out there offering like 1p a minute calls to anywhere in the UK, using a pre-paid account similar to pay as you go.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    no plugging skype? :p

He said he wanted to call a real phone - you can't do that with Skype you can with MSN Messenger
  • Options
    I used to call international for free on my PC...

Google it man..
  • Options