Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

working on a new song... feedback appreciated.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
hello.. i'm working on a new track.. just a pretty thing with piano and vocals... it's called "i'm already there (standing by)"

please download the mp3 (pardon the dust. it's just a rough recording..)

i'm still working on the lyrics, but i'll post here what i have tentatively:

down here...
standing by your old friend down here now.
stand by your pretty girl.

i'm already there.
already there.
already there.

look around the crowd for all those less fortunate.

i'm already there: standing around waiting for you.
i'm already there... standing by.
standing by.
standing by.

thanks for any feedback.. or just thanks for listening in general.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Hey, I like it, you have a very haunting voice (and I do mean that in a good way) :) reading through the lyrics I expected a very soppy Lonestar type song but was pleasantly suprised. The melody and chords make it sound very dark and, as with your voice, very haunting.
    The only thing I'd add is that there isn't really much variety on the notes you play, it all sounds around on the same level after one listen. Just sounds as if you need to maybe have a section where you sing quite high just to give it a bit more tone (for want of a better word). However having listened to it a second time I don't notice it so much but you never know, it might just fill the song out a bit anyway.
    It could be my speakers but your voice sounds very quiet in comparison with the piano but it could just be my shitty speakers!
    But I think it sounds good :)
  • Options
    Re: working on a new song... feedback appreciated.
    Originally posted by dep
    hello.. i'm working on a new track.. just a pretty thing with piano and vocals... it's called "i'm already there (standing by)"

please download the mp3 (pardon the dust. it's just a rough recording..)

i'm still working on the lyrics, but i'll post here what i have tentatively:

down here...
    standing by your old friend down here now.

i'm already there.
    already there.
    already there.

look around the crowd for all those less fortunate.

i'm already there: standing around waiting for you.
    i'm already there... standing by.
    standing by.
    standing by.

thanks for any feedback.. or just thanks for listening in general.
    hello again mate ...can't listen right now but will tomorrow.
    will someone please have a listen to my stuff!
    the collection of half finnished ideas is called head phone aliens cos it should be listened to on headphones ...doesn't come across to goood on pc speakers or even in a room for that matter.
    feel free to smoke ...it helps give the illusion of talent.
    modem 56k press lo fi ...broadband ...hi fi.
    on 56 you loose q.
    have a listen here ....
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/mrrollmusic.htm
  • Options
    Originally posted by Songbird
    Hey, I like it, you have a very haunting voice (and I do mean that in a good way) :) reading through the lyrics I expected a very soppy Lonestar type song but was pleasantly suprised. The melody and chords make it sound very dark and, as with your voice, very haunting.
    The only thing I'd add is that there isn't really much variety on the notes you play, it all sounds around on the same level after one listen. Just sounds as if you need to maybe have a section where you sing quite high just to give it a bit more tone (for want of a better word). However having listened to it a second time I don't notice it so much but you never know, it might just fill the song out a bit anyway.
    It could be my speakers but your voice sounds very quiet in comparison with the piano but it could just be my shitty speakers!
    But I think it sounds good :)

thanks very much for your feedback... yep, i think you're on to something... i need to add some variation into the piano part, and once it is all said and done with, there will be all sorts of pretty layers of strings and synths and whatnot... and the volume of vocals to piano, you're probably right.. it is just a rough mix, so i haven't put much effort into that aspect of it yet.

thanks very much for listening! and for the feedback!
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    hello again mate ...can't listen right now but will tomorrow.
    will someone please have a listen to my stuff!
    the collection of half finnished ideas is called head phone aliens cos it should be listened to on headphones ...doesn't come across to goood on pc speakers or even in a room for that matter.
    feel free to smoke ...it helps give the illusion of talent.
    modem 56k press lo fi ...broadband ...hi fi.
    on 56 you loose q.
    have a listen here ....
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/mrrollmusic.htm

i'll certainly have a listen and give you some feedback. take care.
  • Options
    your page seems to be unavailable ...
  • Options
    your page seems to be unavailable ...
    gotta go to bedzzzz ...your page still unavailable dep.
  • Options
    which one? no problem here.
  • Options
    Re: working on a new song... feedback appreciated.

I've spent the last two nights building my computer and sat in my mates studio going over Cubase SX 2 with a toothcomb and all the subsequent plugins, got myself some phat software to play with tonight now its all setup and working with tasty plugins like: Halion / FM7 / Albino / JunoX2 / Vox etc.
    Originally posted by dep
    for any feedback..
    Your voice has a certain Coldplay meets Bjork deep element to it, Its quite mysterious and intreaging. I think the song needs another instrument(s) even if its not added til later in the song, it would make the whole thing a lot more dynamic giving it more drive - have a listen to 'Coldplay - The Scientist' and you'll get the jist of what I'm trying to say.. it would give the listener more variety in the 2nd half that doesn't sound the same the entire way through as the piano chords are quite similar. Also, I'm not sure on what your using to record this but in some instances your voice needs to be louder throughout the recording as the piano overpowers the vocals in volume.
  • Options
    Re: Re: working on a new song... feedback appreciated.
    Originally posted by Justin Sane
    I've spent the last two nights building my computer and sat in my mates studio going over Cubase SX 2 with a toothcomb and all the subsequent plugins, got myself some phat software to play with tonight now its all setup and working with tasty plugins like: Halion / FM7 / Albino / JunoX2 / Vox etc.

Your voice has a certain Coldplay meets Bjork deep element to it, Its quite mysterious and intreaging. I think the song needs another instrument(s) even if its not added til later in the song, it would make the whole thing a lot more dynamic giving it more drive - have a listen to 'Coldplay - The Scientist' and you'll get the jist of what I'm trying to say.. it would give the listener more variety in the 2nd half that doesn't sound the same the entire way through as the piano chords are quite similar. Also, I'm not sure on what your using to record this but in some instances your voice needs to be louder throughout the recording as the piano overpowers the vocals in volume.

thanks very much. i have many plans for layers and, once i really record, i will be adjusting the volumes across the tracks.... this was just a rough play-through to get some feedback on the vocals/piano/melody..

thanks very much! excellent feedback indeed.

edit: btw, love the scientist.. my favorite track from 'a rush of blood to the head'
  • Options
    Woah, you're a guy! I thought that was a girl singing! Whoops :o
  • Options
    heh.. no problem. :)
  • Options
    lol, forget about my part of making it higher in places then...well unless you want to squeeze your balls to get to that pitch, lol.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: working on a new song... feedback appreciated.
    Originally posted by dep
    thanks very much. this was just a rough play-through to get some feedback on the vocals/piano/melody..
    No worries dude, its a work in progress and its a nice one at that, I'm not usually used to reviewing non-hard dance material but its good pratice for my next job as A&R for a label out here!

Also, once your happy with the material make sure you get it uploaded to: http://www.soundclick.com as there are a lot of musico types (incl. A&R people from labels) who scower the files looking for "the next big thing", I know heaps of people who have had material signed from originally putting their work online this way :)

Keep at it :cool:
  • Options
    oh yeah, good website. I've got mine there as well, gives you chart positions and stuff :)
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: working on a new song... feedback appreciated.
    Originally posted by Justin Sane
    No worries dude, its a work in progress and its a nice one at that, I'm not usually used to reviewing non-hard dance material but its good pratice for my next job as A&R for a label out here!

Also, once your happy with the material make sure you get it uploaded to: http://www.soundclick.com as there are a lot of musico types (incl. A&R people from labels) who scower the files looking for "the next big thing", I know heaps of people who have had material signed from originally putting their work online this way :)

Keep at it :cool:

good tip. i'll be sure to sign up there once i get to that point :)
  • Options
    I quite like the fact that the vocals weren't completley prominent - i think the piano is really beautiful and the vocals being slightly softer makes the listener pay closer attention to work out the lyrics.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jon_UK
    I quite like the fact that the vocals weren't completley prominent - i think the piano is really beautiful and the vocals being slightly softer makes the listener pay closer attention to work out the lyrics.

thank you very much. the focus of my music in the past has always drawn attention away from the lyrics, even to the point where they become somewhat peripheral to the rest of the music (will make more sense with this song once more layers are added to the music (strings, etc)), so it's more of an immersive-type listening experience.

thank you for listening.
  • Options
    , gives you chart positions and stuff :)
    i actualy got to number twenty two weeks back! gob smacked ...more people out there under the influence of mind bending drugs than i thought. twas my 'bass grinder' ...gonna rename it and get round to finnishing it soon.
  • Options
    Haha, it's quite cool seeing yourself in the charts with everyone else, isn't it? I think the highest I got was around 70 I think in the sub classical charts. I was well chuffed :D
  • Options
    Haha, it's quite cool seeing yourself in the charts with everyone else, isn't it? I think the highest I got was around 70 I think in the sub classical charts. I was well chuffed :D
    i still can't get deps link to work ...this page unavailable ...is it my pc or summat?
  • Options
    finaly got to listen to it!
    i think it's excelent. not my kind of stuff but stick at it and i'm sure you'll go far.
    the piano stuff was loops/samples yeah? ...cos i'm sure i have them ...
  • Options
    finaly got to listen to it!
    i think it's excelent. not my kind of stuff but stick at it and i'm sure you'll go far.
    the piano stuff was loops/samples yeah? ...cos i'm sure i have them ...

no. all the piano stuff was me.. i don't use loops.