Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Help Im Being Threatend

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i had an argument with a lass at college we are both 17 and now all her mates and her bf say they are gunna jump me and put me in hospital. Ive decided to tell the college tutor as its at college were it would happen but im scared if this lass gets kicked off the course for telling them to beat me up that they will come after me for that

what is the law about verbil physical abuse

Comments

• Options
    Originally posted by Groovaybaby
    Threatening people can cause psychological harm which can result in GBH

I don't think psychological harm equals GBH, a definition I found was: "In English law, very serious physical damage suffered by the victim of a crime. The courts have said that judges should not try to define grievous bodily harm but leave it to the jury to decide." - where it says very serious physical damage. If they beat him up it could be but I think threatening would just be harassment wouldn't it? :confused:
  • Options
    protect yourself, Go to college in full body armour.

Or hire a bodyguard!

Purchase a stun gun.

All them would never fail.......
  • Options
    Originally posted by Digital-Emotion
    protect yourself, Go to college in full body armour.

Or hire a bodyguard!

Purchase a stun gun.

All them would never fail.......

Full body armour makes you look like a twat, bodyguards cost money, and stun guns are illegal.
  • Options
    Originally posted by []\[]02
    Full body armour makes you look like a twat, bodyguards cost money, and stun guns are illegal.

sorry i have to break it to ya but i wasnt being entirely serious mate....
  • Options
    What about a tazer, one of those ones you jab into someone and shock them, are they illegal? Damn shame if they are. Suppose it can't be *that* difficult to DIY.

Anyway, I don't think they'll follow through personally. I know that's a bit dangerous of me to say; not knowing the circumstances, but in my experience threats are just that - threats and nothing more. My mate got threatened to get jumped, he never did. So did my sister, nothing happened to her. In fact I've never heard of someone being warned first they were going to be attacked personally, I mean there are many reports of it happening but if someones going to beat you up, they're not gonna go on about how they're 'going to', they just will. Usually.
  • Options
    what was the argument about?

Must be pretty serious if violence is being threatened.

Personally a good stare can work wonders, sometimes better then words
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    Hiya Thompsg2,
    I know this is really horrible and not a situation you want to be in, but there are things you can do. So don't panic.

Firstly, have a look at this article, it's about how to avoid violence bbut some of the tips towards the bottom may be useful to you.

You are doing the right thing when you say you're going to speak to your tutor, they will be able to help you deal with the situation.

You may also want to look at some of the information on this site, it may help answer some of the questions you've got about the law.

Hope you're OK and hope some of this helps.

CB
  • Options
    Originally posted by Groovaybaby
    I said Can, not does.

It has been possible.

Someone got done for GBH for threatening phone calls.

It all depends.
    I think you may have got your wires crossed about that one. There is no way that someone would get done for GBH or even ABH for making threatening phone calls. Its not actuall or greivous bodily harm and theres no way they could say it was that unless they actually followed up the threat.

As for the original question, Id suggest going to the police just so the threat that was made to you can go down on record, because then if anything does actually happen, it will be easier for the police to do something if a threat has been recorded beforehand. It also proves intent.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Digital-Emotion
    sorry i have to break it to ya but i wasnt being entirely serious mate....

Thank you Mr Obvious :rolleyes:

TheShyBoyInTheCorner - The thing you stick into someone is a stungun or a stunbaton, not a taser. All 3 are illegal over here
    :(
  • Options
    carry a rape alarm, a can of impulse and a mobile. find out where they live, report the threats to the police and then see what they can do. they might give you a rape alarm, they gave me one when i was being stalked, unfortunatly i used it so many times when i had panic attacks or had people faint on me (one of my ex's fainted on me when we went to the cinema-we got free tickect though :D)

don't walk in unknown areas alone, or walk at night.
  • Options
    If the threats result in psychological harm then it can be ABH and if it is serious GBH. There are a few cases where threatening phone calls lead to the victim suffering from depression etc and resulted in convictions of ABH/GBH, R V Ireland and R V Burstow.
  • Options
    question for legal types:

i heard that in british legal terms 'assault' is threatening to kick the crap out of someone, and 'assault and battery' is threatening to kick the crap out of someone and then proceeding to do so.

is that true?
  • Options
    Re: Help Im Being Threatend
    Originally posted by Thompsg2
    i had an argument with a lass at college we are both 17 and now all her mates and her bf say they are gunna jump me and put me in hospital. Ive decided to tell the college tutor as its at college were it would happen but im scared if this lass gets kicked off the course for telling them to beat me up that they will come after me for that

what is the law about verbil physical abuse

Pwn them.