Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

obesity in america

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
yes, we know it is very evident... here's a good clue as to why.. interesting read:

http://www.harvard-magazine.com/on-line/050465.html

And just to confirm some of what that article says...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/05/28/MNGPR6TB2L1.DTL

what the fuck is the food industry doing in meetings on dietary guidlines anyway?

dep

Comments

• Options
    I think the physicality of the US really hampers any efforts to get people to loose weight. That and the ideals of governance which set up the US.

The point is the the US was set up on the basis of self reliance and the car is has become the ultimate symbol of this, and because the US is so spread out it has become the only way to get around in so many places.

People dont walk there, they just take the car. I went for a walk in a town in Colorado a while ago and I got honked randomly, then I realised I was the only padestrian in the whole town. Wierd.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I was the only padestrian in the whole town.
    I'd never stand to live in a place like that...
  • Options
    Just like what Bong said. The only time you eve see anybody walking in this town is when they are walking around the lake (for exercise or just something to do) Nobody walks to work or to the store or anything. Driving is what you do. If you don't have a car you pretty much don't leave your house.

As with fast food too, the small small town I live in has a population of 18,000 but I can name 12 fast food places, not including the mall food court, numerous pizza places, gas stations where you can buy donuts, hotdogs etc, donut shops and other places and I know there must be a few I have forgotten about. It is just too easy to go to one. I ate a cheeseburger today because our kitchen was occupied by the cleaning lady and it was much easier to go out and drive a mile to go thru a drive thru than to work around it and make something. Not to mention that I can't cook anyways. Also from about October to the begining of May my roomate of the time and I ate fast food pretty much all the time. We couldn't cook, we hated grocery shopping and it was simple. No matter where you went there were numerous places to stop and get food on the way back home. We would get high and cooking wasn't even an option, it was just get in the car and drive to a McDonalds or something.
  • Options
    There was a programme on a while back about Houston, the fattest city in America, featuring a woman who drives her son to the school bus stop which is all of 30 yards from their front door and a man who only collects his mail from the mailbox at the end of his drive when he happens to be driving past it.
  • Options
    my_name, did you not feel sick or guilty or anything eating all that fast food? The only fast food I eat now is pizza's from the pizza shop - which I don't really class as fast food. McDonalds and burger King etc. taste good but they taste unhealthy in my opinion - and I guess I'm just one of those people who feels sick after eating something so bad for me
  • Options
    Hm, I never considered the american tendency to drive -vs- walk. and we're the country that is looking for a way to even avoid WALKING when we have to! Heard of the segway? Yeah, only in america.. A country built around lazyness, where bigger is better.. We're the all-you-can-eat country.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    our kitchen was occupied by the cleaning lady

:eek: Am i the only one that thought only rich people had these types of people?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    :eek: Am i the only one that thought only rich people had these types of people?
    I don't know. We have one coming once every two weeks too, and we're not rich. Of course we don't have economical problems either.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    I don't know. We have one coming once every two weeks too, and we're not rich. Of course we don't have economical problems either.

Perhaps i am just poor then :(.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dep
    Heard of the segway?

Yes, I want one. I wouldn't go everywhere on it, in the same way I don't rollerblade or cycle everywhere. It would just be a cool thing to have.
  • Options
    About 3 years ago I had a stop over in a midwest US airport and EVERYONE was huge and you could tell it was due to over eating rather then genetics.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    About 3 years ago I had a stop over in a midwest US airport and EVERYONE was huge and you could tell it was due to over eating rather then genetics.

not everyone :(
  • Options
    Genetic reasons are in the main bollox, all the studies I've heard about suggest that metobolic rates dont actually vary that much between people.

As for living of fast food, I ate only fast food for one week when I was in Hawaii and I felt the most ill I ever have. My whole digestion went totally wrong, I looked pale, I had no energy. That coupled with the fact that Honolulu is the worst most foul place on earth and it made for a grim week.
  • Options
    I did an essay for my masters on obesity in japan where I found alot out about the causes etc-its so interesting that its going up in Japan and other countries eager to prove their wealth by adopting a western culture. It was interesting that in a study about obesity in japan, they were seen to have no problem-only as they were compared to the americans-two towns from the countries but as the american town was so overly obese, it scewed the results so it appeared the japanese town had no problem.

I know I see obese people here but they were nothing to the obese i saw in america-that was almost 10 years ago so i dread to think of what it is like now.

I'd really love to get into this more but I will only ramble. I would actually like to work in this area if I could as I think it is such a problem and I don't have answers but a good understanding-well I got an A anyway in my essay!

Without this being in any way a race issue, have people seen the same in other countries say in europe? just wondered how it is in other countries.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jowolvo
    Without this being in any way a race issue, have people seen the same in other countries say in europe? just wondered how it is in other countries.
    Here I don't see to many fat-fat people. Of course, some are probably heavier than perfect, but I rarely see ones that are profoundly obese.
    On the other hand, I'd read some statistics years ago that kids here are the most overweight in all of Europe. I don't know if that applies to older people too.
  • Options
    yes indeed, we can point the finger at the americans, but we are only a decade or two behind.....it will cripple our nhs, before long fat people will be made to lose weight or their treatment on the nhs will be cut, its getting there fast........i blame a combination of television/consoles/food companies, and the government for not being a bit more on the ball.......the kids of today are surrounded by junk food in their schools, and they do not promote exercise enough, should be made mandatory now (food companies subsidise schools in exchange for product placement, this is just out of order)......a quick glance in the sport + fitness forum will confirm this, a lot of chat about sport, but very few people bothered about their fitness........scary stuff.
  • Options
    Originally posted by apollo_69
    yes indeed, we can point the finger at the americans, but we are only a decade or two behind......

Too true, its scary it really is. I saw this when I was researching for my essay and that was estimating for the far eastern countires-they have seen the cities get larger and even the rural areas but at a slower rate.

I can see it in Britain now-I only left school in 2000 but the otehr month I popped back to be a hair dressing model and I would say that 33% of the girls were chubby-not obese but still overweight-but the rest were really really skinny.
    In my school classes there were only about five in the whole year-about 5% of the year.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jowolvo
    Too true, its scary it really is. I saw this when I was researching for my essay and that was estimating for the far eastern countires-they have seen the cities get larger and even the rural areas but at a slower rate.

I can see it in Britain now-I only left school in 2000 but the otehr month I popped back to be a hair dressing model and I would say that 33% of the girls were chubby-not obese but still overweight-but the rest were really really skinny.
    In my school classes there were only about five in the whole year-about 5% of the year.

Yes, but i've just left school and there was only 2 fat people out of a couple of hundred.
  • Options
    Obesity will become this countries most expencive preventable illness if we're not careful.

If we could stop people drinking too much, smoking and getting fat the NHS could be AMAZING.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    If we could stop people drinking too much, smoking and getting fat the NHS could be AMAZING.
    "And as long as I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony."
  • Options
    Originally posted by Doofay
    Yes, but i've just left school and there was only 2 fat people out of a couple of hundred.

Fair enough, maybe the school i went to was particulary bad-could be the area, could have been that class?! I dunno! I hope it is an unusual school in that sense, i really do!

Funny site that was also quite pathetic was the site of a chip van outside of a primary school by my mom's works. I know there always used by ice cream vans-but a chip van. Thats really disgraceful! No wonder kiddies are getting obese!