Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Free Webhosting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so I've been browsing all the free web hosters out there, from geocities to graffiti, from tripod to freewebhosting.com (original name...) and I wondered if anyone has any advice as to which to go for?

I'd like it to be vaguely aesthetically pleasing, although I realise for free you get very basic set-ups and loads of ads...but I want to have a website! But i'm too cheap to pay for it!

The web should all be free anyway...

Comments

• Options
    UK geocities isnt too bad i use it for mine, and you can check out mine, the actual popup is from my short domain
  • Options
    what ever you do, don't go for brinkster, they are the worst web host ever. and they now put advertising on their free host sites.
  • Options
    Out of all the hosts I've tried, Tripod is the one I've liked the most.

Geocities was a none-starter cos the site-builder just wouldn't work for me, despite me spending a long time browsing the FAQ.

Freeservers isn't too bad, but there is a limit on the number of pages and the page layouts are very strict - you can't move pics to new positions etc..

741 was crap. Very basic and hard to use.

So yeah, Tripod of the one I'd recommend - it's easy to use and you can insert lots of cool add-ons, and it's highly customizable even if you don't know any HTML.

-Starry :)
  • Options
    Re: Free Webhosting
    Originally posted by static
    Ok, so I've been browsing all the free web hosters out there, from geocities to graffiti, from tripod to freewebhosting.com (original name...) and I wondered if anyone has any advice as to which to go for?

I'd like it to be vaguely aesthetically pleasing, although I realise for free you get very basic set-ups and loads of ads...but I want to have a website! But i'm too cheap to pay for it!

The web should all be free anyway...

How do you get internet access?

Most companies give their users free webspace
  • Options
    Question: do you want to design this website offline, using HTML etc and then uploading it, or would you prefer to use an online editor, true WYSIWYG. Also, what's the website for? Just a personal webby? Or are you thinking of using it for more proffesional uses because if so I wouldn't go with a free webhosting solution, you can get good webhosting from www.purplecloud.net very cheaply. Anyway, for a good freebie you can't go wrong with geocities, they're simple, but work.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    Question: do you want to design this website offline, using HTML etc and then uploading it,
    Thats what I would like to do. I want to make a personal site with lots of photos. I have Dreamweaver, but how do I get my webpage from my computer onto the internet?
  • Options
    Diamond Geezer - Seconded.

Most dial-up providers will allocate you with 10 or 15 megabytes of web space. NTL on broadband gave me 55 MB. As an amateur web designer, that is more than enough for me.

The golded rule:

Because of advertising, "aesthetically" + "free hosting" will never appear in the same sentence.
  • Options