Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Derren brown - Séance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Who watched it? Did anyone take part in it,?? if so, did anything happen?:eek:

I thought about taking part, but my little son wouldnt sleep:mad: ;) but my mates did. They said it was a load of rubbish. I watched some of it and thought it was ok. But who was that girl at the end he went to get from that van? Was it Jane and it was all a big con?? :confused::confused: ::eek:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Re: Derren brown - Séance
    Originally posted by NFFC Babe
    Who watched it? Did anyone take part in it,?? if so, did anything happen?:eek:

I thought about taking part, but my little son wouldnt sleep:mad: ;) but my mates did. They said it was a load of rubbish. I watched some of it and thought it was ok. But who was that girl at the end he went to get from that van? Was it Jane and it was all a big con?? :confused::confused: ::eek:

Me, some people did i didn't, they were freaked.

it was Jane, yes it was.
  • Options
    I was pretty freaked out. Did turn out it was all a set up, but does anyone know what was going on in that bit at the beginning with the booth and the tambourine? I didn't hear him explain it. Was it set up too?
  • Options
    Load of bollocks, IMHO.

The funniest bit was when they couldn't get the sound working in some link-up they were doing, and all of a sudden this feedback came through and they all shit themselves :lol:

I dread to think of the amount of people who beleive in that shit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    Load of bollocks, IMHO.

The funniest bit was when they couldn't get the sound working in some link-up they were doing, and all of a sudden this feedback came through and they all shit themselves :lol:

I dread to think of the amount of people who beleive in that shit.

I reckon that might've been deliberate, y'know. Just to scare the poor lass a bit more.

I thought it was good actually, very clever how it all worked.
  • Options
    it was the most confusing shit ive ever watched! At first i thought it was pretty good, but when he brought that girl out i just thought WHAT was the point in that! It didnt even show those students faces when they found out she was alive!:eek:
  • Options
    I picked the photo of Jane, I thought that was likely though having seen a lot of his other stuff, he is obviously good at predicting people's reactions to things and knew which photo people would look at first etc.

I have my doubts as to its authenticity though, like how he put some of the students into a "trance like" state within seconds, it just didn't seem very plausable to me.

Assuming for a moment it was real I thought it was highly unethical as well, its just another example of how you can do whatever you like to people for TV entertainment but as soon as it comes to psychological experiments that might actually benefit society you have to abide by all these rules and regulations, and would never be able to get away with causing people distress like that. Doesn't make any sense to me. Even if the students were debriefed etc. afterwards I'd hardly say that justified how scared some of them looked!

Did anyone ring the number?
  • Options
    As someone who didn't watch it and so doesn't have a clue what you're going on about, can anyone run the gist by me?
  • Options
    Originally posted by z0ma
    As someone who didn't watch it and so doesn't have a clue what you're going on about, can anyone run the gist by me?

Derren Brown took twelve random people into a building where twelve students committed suicide together by drinking bleach, and they were supposedly lead by a charismatic young lecturer, who cleverly survived. I think the point of explaining this was to make us fear Derren and his power, or something.

Long story short, they used a ouiji (sp) board to see if there were any of the spirits around, then created a séance and "contacted" one of the spirits through one of the girls who was used as a median.

However, he set it up so 90% of people picked the same photo out of the twelve he laid out, so we were supposed to be shocked that nearly everyone detected the same spirit. He made the girl who was the median say things, and these things turned up in a letter which "Jane's" brother had written.

Turns out the girl is just a young lady now who was dressed in 70s clothes and they filmed her so it looked like some home movies in the 70s. So there were no spirits at all.

You couldn't possibly believe it was spiritual because he made it quite clear at the beginning he didn't believe in it and there was a short clip about how the original scéances were forged.

Those people ringing in, saying the wadrobe moved or they too were possessed by the same spirit that was supposedly in a university building on the other side of the country. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I thought it was facinating how he could manipulate and influence people through suggestion.
    It was great the way he worked on peoples perceptions, pre-conceptions, thoughts, ideas, etc. I loved the way he created a total atmosphere, spun a believable yarn, and drew them all into it. It was a great blending of tricks, illusion, and psychology - especially the psychology.

If you were watching the programme expecting to see a real seance, or experience anything unusual yourself, then you would be sadly dissapointed. But as an entertaining use of psychology, I don't think it could be beaten.
    I always say that if I knew a fraction of what Derren Brown knows that I'd be able to live a charmed life of getting what I want, and getting people to do as I wish. Of course, the thought of using it for pulling as occoured. :chin: :D
  • Options
    .......or he took a bunch of people and told them what to do before the show.

A poor effort from the usually fantastic Derren.
  • Options
    I heard him mention something about how the people did move the glass but subconsciously-he called it something but i forgot!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jowolvo
    I heard him mention something about how the people did move the glass but subconsciously-he called it something but i forgot!
    If you've ever used a Ouiji board, then you'd understand how it feels as if it's moving on its own, which is wierd, but how suggetstion and thoughts would move it unconciously.
  • Options
    wasnt he just setting out to prove that its all just a trick of the mind?
    he explained how we were all manipulated by him to pick the picture of jane and he said how we unconciously move the glass on the ouji board but he didnt explain, if it was all mind games, how that lass that acted as the host for the "spirit" new all that personal info on jane.
    i thought it was quite entertaining as he was trying to prove its just all trickery.
  • Options
    i was rather disapponted by the whole lack of an explanation as to what was going on, i mean to me it just seem like it was a total set up and they were actors and his experiment was what effect watching it had on viewers

just my 2 cents
  • Options
    Its just a load of fake crap! I have to admit that 'seance' was better than his tv program though. Its so fake and its so obviously acting its quite painful.
  • Options
    the point was the whole lot was set up to be a seance but it wasnt, it was mind games thats whats derren does.imo it was fuckin freaky when i thought it was a seance but then finding out it was mind control it was even freakier :|
  • Options
    Derren Brown is a nobhead. Simple as.

I don't see how the self-indulgent claptrap of a pathological liar can possibly ever be construed as "entertainment".

As for the people who believe in seances and ouiji boards- get a life, you L O S E R S.
  • Options
    My mate told me she did one the day this was on tv and apparnetly the girl who had died at my friends house decades ago contacted, thing is after hearing about how people move it subconsciously and the fact I'm pretty mush a skeptic, I didn't belive her.

Its scary to think how some people can be traumatised for life though when they do these things