Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

mole removal

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got to have a mole removed this week that looks really dodgy, so naturally i'm freaking out.Anyway, if any of you have had moles removed can you tell me how long the anesthetic lasts and how did you feel in general afterwards? Thanks!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Erm, what kind of anesthetic are you having to remove a mole?

At our surgery we have a minor surgery clinic once a month and the GP just whips it off in two seconds flat, the nurse dabs it with some solution and you're off home.

Are you having it in hospital?
    i'm having a local and it done at the doctors.
    Originally posted by 1andonly
    i'm having a local and it done at the doctors.

Seriously, don't worry about it! You'll feel a little nick and that'll be it, but the area is bound to feel sore - like when you've grazed your arm or had an injection.
    i had one taken off the back of my leg a couple of years ago.

they will use an anaesthetic if it's not a raised mole, and they have to cut into the skin. that's what happened with mine.

it was a little sore when they injected the local anaesthetic, but after then it didn't hurt at all, even when the anaesthetic wore off. i kept waiting for it to start hurting, but it never did. took about 15 minutes, all together, and was nowhere near as bad as i thought.

it healed nicely, with a couple of stitches, and now you can barely see where it was.
    Haven't got much new to add to what's been said but just to reassure you, it barely hurts at all. In fact, the local anesthetic injection is the worst part and that's just a regular pin prick. So long as ypu keep the stitches covered up while they're in everything should be fine.
    Thanks for your replies everyone! Just some more questions,
    (sorry i'm such a stresshead when it comes to things like this) how long do the stitches have to stay in for and when you go back to have them taken out is that when they tell you if anything is wrong with the mole?
    When I had a mole removed it was quite uncomfortable for me for a while, but that was probably because of where it was - it lay just under the elastic of my bra strap. The anaesthetic wore off after a couple of hours as far as I remember and the stitches were in for a couple of weeks.

I can't remember what they said about what was wrong with the mole, but that was because I had the stitches taken out at my local GP's whereas I had the mole taken out in a hospital. I think we got a letter through the post telling me what they'd found.
    With mine, I got it done in a hospital and they told me to come back in 2 weeks to get the stitches out and tell me about the mole.
    Originally posted by 1andonly
    how long do the stitches have to stay in for and when you go back to have them taken out is that when they tell you if anything is wrong with the mole?

mine stayed in for a week. i went on holiday the day after i had it done, so i had the stitches taken out at the hospital where i was staying.

i remember it taking quite a while for them to get the test results back though, it could even have been a month. but my doctors have a 'no news is good news' policy, and only ring you if your tests come back abnormal, so the results could have been in a long time before i got them.