Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

june 2004 elections - no one to vote for

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    Quality not Quantity
    It's lucky then that in the EU we have both isn't it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    On the subject of the elections, I have heard that a party called respect is left of New Labour. I tried searching on the net but nothing came up. I highly doubt that any left party will stand in the South East anyway, but can anyone point me some information? Though probably the Liberal Democrats need my support

their ideas are well ideas that are completly unworkable and uneconomic, they want it all expecting only the rich to pay, when in europ they have no say over those things anyway

i been watching too much 'yes minister'
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    On the subject of the elections, I have heard that a party called respect is left of New Labour. I tried searching on the net but nothing came up. I highly doubt that any left party will stand in the South East anyway, but can anyone point me some information? Though probably the Liberal Democrats need my support.

Sorry for hi-jacking but i didnt think it was worth its own thread.

http://www.respectcoalition.org/index.php?aid=32
  • Options
    aye its almost like the politicians are trying to inspire voter apathy.......i dont particularly like blair or howard, so i guess lib dems would get my vote just as a kick up the arse to labour........i think labour should stay but blair should go, hes just lost the trust of too many people, and gets along far too well with bush, i cant see how he can lead labour in another term.......and lol i dont pay tax yet so that might play on my opinion, dont wanna see tories get in really.......but the majority of the nation are just unaware, and don't care......
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    http://www.respectcoalition.org/index.php?aid=32

Thanks for the Link. :)

Edited to add: I read their manifesto. Nice to see some left wing policies but they are far to anti europe for me. I will be going Liberal Democrat :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    yep! this so called Respect party believe labour is now a right wing party.

Um Labour does seem to be going kind of that way. They have put through some very un Labour like policies. Top Up Fees, etc
  • Options
    First of all you continually tell me we would have job losses why? Non EU countries seem to trade with Europe why can't we? Or is it that they want to drag us down with them?

Please give me a large liost of the jobs that we would loose, I'll start
    1) Government jobs - woohoo

If Britian was prooved it can work outside the Euro why the continue to support for it? Why does Labour and Liberal Democrats want us to ruin our economy?

Your so correct about the cost of pulling out of the EU. of course it would be costy, we'd save billions a year. We could give it all to Africa, bulid more hpospitals, schools for our selves, more doctors, more jobs.

We pay billions a year and you know we do! It's wrong.
    Get it in your head. We make billions not lose them as a result of being in the EU.

If we pull out, many industries from manufacturing to food produce to countless others would lose out. THOSE are the jobs we're talking about.

Get your facts right once and for all and stop believing all the bullshit the europhobes spout about how much money the EU "costs us". Because we make much more than we pay.
  • Options
    i was begining to think that as well but they are more centrist than before.
    an amazing modernisation of the party has taken place. clause wotsit being gotten rid of ...the ownership of the means of production etc ...that was very radical. outraged many at the time but it was needed. we no longer live in a land of mines and mills. we live and thrive in a consumer culture. completely different world.
    although some will still say blairs nulab are tories they couldn't be more wrong.
    the redistribution of wealth has been taking place in a remarkable fashion with tone and gordon. public spending is improving things for all. the minimum wage and family tax credits etc ...nulab are the only modernist party arond for me.
    at fifty years old this is the best government in my life time.
  • Options
    are you 50 years old?

yeah maybe for investment etc cause I'll agree too, this government just pumps loads of money into the public services. But we don't see much improvement because they don't know how to spend it.
    there are improvements to be seen in some areas but i think the fault lies with the fact that the transport system should be fully nationalised. stop the investment going to shareholders and being fritted or invested abroad as opposed to into the transport system.
    look at the railways ...what a mess!
  • Options

Labour are a right wing party, from an economic point of view.
    Maybe not very far right, but def right of centre these days I reckon.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Get it in your head. We make billions not lose them as a result of being in the EU.

If we pull out, many industries from manufacturing to food produce to countless others would lose out. THOSE are the jobs we're talking about.

Get your facts right once and for all and stop believing all the bullshit the europhobes spout about how much money the EU "costs us". Because we make much more than we pay.

Replacing the EU with a free trade agreement would not have an imact on the economy(not that im advocating leaving the EU). Yes millions of our jobs depend on Europe but millions of jobs in Europe depend on the British. They most definatly would not start putting tarrifs on our goods as we would do the same and they have more to loose out on than us. How good would it look to the french and german governments (whose economic growth is practically static) when they loose another million or so more jobs and have to start paying even more welfare on top of the already ridiculous amount paid by them? It just aint gonna happen.

Oh and Britain does pay in more to the EU than it gets out of it. CAP for a small example.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    there are improvements to be seen in some areas but i think the fault lies with the fact that the transport system should be fully nationalised. stop the investment going to shareholders and being fritted or invested abroad as opposed to into the transport system.
    look at the railways ...what a mess!

The transport system is in such a shit state because it was nationalised in the first place.
  • Options
    Originally posted by minimi38
    The transport system is in such a shit state because it was nationalised in the first place.
    i can only speak for manchester corporation but ...when they owned the busses there were fewer cars on the roads than today. lots and lots of busses. very reliable. then came privatisation ...and it all went down hill. the council made lots of money ...if they did that today i think your council tax would be able to go down.
  • Options
    Did it not occur to you there are more cars on the road today because more people have money and cars are cheaper?

Maybe the busses are late because of the number of cars on the road :confused:

I still fucking hate trains. Wankers. At least every other train i get is delayed. Most are late.
  • Options
    Originally posted by minimi38

LOL!

Really :D
  • Options
    Re: june 2004 elections - no one to vote for
    Originally posted by felix1920
    Lets face it - there are virtually no politicians that we can trust.

But if I don't vote, then I go down as one of the disinterested millions.

The Tories will blame Labour for the low turn out. Labour will say its a good turn out ! If the Tories were in power, it would be the same thing only the other way round.

I know that "none of the above" schemes have been proposed and argued over before, but for a slightly different twist take a look here:

http://www.novote.org.uk

It just seems like a good idea that might get them to sit up and listen.

How many people these days are actually interested in politics? is what puzzles me. Personally I have a greater interest in social issues, but I don't know a great deal on for example, the Eu... which makes you think how many people know what a constitution is? How many people care about trade with other countries? Or at least understand it (again, can't say I'm a hot shot at economics).

I vote because, being female people have fought for me to have the right to vote. We're blessed to live in a country where we have freedom of speech... or at least enough freedom of speech to say what we want and not be imprisoned.

You can't trust politicians, that much is true, but then not voting isn't going to change a thing. maybe you'll never be able to trust them because that's the way the world works. People don't make the top by playing fair... do they? :p