Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Being a Photographer

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
People keep telling me I should be a photographer and yesterday met a photographer with 1 leg .. she's just came down from Spain and said she was taking photos of Spanish flowers for a book.

I looked at her pics and they didn't look like anything special - just wondering how you go about becoming a freelance photographer or making a living from it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Im doing foundation studies in art and design this year, then going on to uni next year to do graphic design and web design, but the foundation year youve got to pick like 3 things to major in, and i know one of the choices is photography, so maybe a qual first? :confused:
    I guess you need to decide what kind of photography you want to do

documentary
    still life
    magazine work

A friend of mine did a really good course which included composition, developing etc. You need to be technically good to make it I think! Here's my mates site..

http://www.davidbarnesphotographer.com
    I would love to be a music photographer. I have looked through countless books, prospectuses, magazines, leaflets etc and there is just no job that takes my fancy except that. Im quite aware that that is most probably my failing, but its the way of it. It just feels like that or nothing/a working career of unhappiness.

But i have to finish my fucking degree first. Fucksake :( I guess graduating at age 21 isnt too old though..right? The careers counseller at uni was totally useless too...sigh :(

But yeah...you need some sort of experience/qualifications and preferably being in the right place at the right time
    I met another professional photographer who photographs models in San Francisco.

He was telling me the whole industry is quickly going digital.

My uncle owns a camera shop, I'd always told his son he should do weddings (since he's still at school)

And most weddings are on weekends. And he can get all the equipment he needs form his dad.
    Some say that a good eye is more important than the kit.

But more people say that there's a sudden trend of bringing up old threads, of which this is one.
This discussion has been closed.