Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Islam Dress ban

124»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Rocksteady
    Well I based what I said on that source and the programme and I may point out there was no disagreement between those on the programme offering differing interpretations on that issue unlike other issues and other than that I was mearly asking questions :rolleyes:

I'm basing my opinion on actually knowing people who follow Islam.
    Not just in modern world, always......

Some laws that religious codes can be utterly ridiculous, the adherents know this, they wouldn't say it out loud, just quietly ignore it....

Am I right in saying that usury is a crime in the bible?
    Well look at it this way those of you on the left.... Would you call George Bush a proper Christian?
    A proper idiot more like...

I'm not sure what a 'proper' Christian is anyway. Would a former alcoholic and cokehead responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands at home and abroad (death penalty & wars respectively) be called a Christian? I doubt it...
    Well look at it this way those of you on the left.... Would you call George Bush a proper Christian?

Dunno about "proper" or "improper", but he's a dangerous fundamentalist, thats for sure.
    So someone who refuses to ratify the Kyoto agreements or reduce CO2 emissions, who engineered a coup to get into power and who invaded Iraq on a pretext isn't dangerous?

You must have a different dictionary to me then.
    Tangents..Tangents! :eek2:
    I would think that tearing up the non-proliferation treaties that have worked so well for decades, starting a new nuclear arms race with Russia and China and waging illegal wars based on lies and deception while claiming to be acting under direct orders from God is the ultimate fucking definition of "dangerous".

In fact you could also add "lunatic", "deranged" and a few other terms to it...
    Most (if not all) the original teachings of the world's main religions were written in Ancient Foreign Languages.

Often there is more than one way to translate any given word and at times words exist in one language that do not have an equivalent in another.

Hence we end up with several different translations and interpretations of the original teachings.
    INSTEAD OF BRINGING U A NEW POST - it seems the high court has taken the schools side

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3808073.stm

i believe an appeal will follow

the bbc london news on tv of i heard this on did not once mention that the school accomdates for most muslims with headscarves and its jsut the full dress that is barred as its not known to be compulsory to most members of the muslim community in this country
    firstly I didn't read the whole thread so any dodgy comments Sorry,

Anyway.. It's stupid to Deny this girl her education, It's her religions and beliefs.. If it was a muslim male he's allowed to wear his turbin, She should be allowed and the goverment should respect the peoples religon.. It's discrimination.. they should let her and respect her believes.. God it's a uniform.. would you expect them to deny you the same things if you believed strongly in the religon..

After the court hearing it was pety, they should've one the case..

Anyway.. I should go... I shouldn't venture into politics..
    :nervous:

theyareontome.gif
    Good.
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    If it was a muslim male he's allowed to wear his turbin,

Muslim's don't wear turbans. Sikh's do.
    Meanwhile, back on the subject...

Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    I think that it's petty to deny a girl education cause of her clothes.

This girl is not being denied an education. She can still go to school, or she can go to another school, and recieve an education.

What she is being dened is the right to wear what she wants and I think that is the right stance to take. The rules are laid out when you join the school and so she and her parnets knew what they were.

Having said that, I do think that there was room for compromise here. The girl offered to wear school colours and to wear the school badge. I can't see what the school wouldn't have found that acceptable... but this is an issue for the Governors to decide one and I respect their decision.
    If I classify my religion as a jedi knight can I bring my lightsabre to work and use the force?
    If I classify my religion as a jedi knight can I bring my lightsabre to work and use the force?

An attempt at humour?

Can you use the force then? Do you have a lightsaber?

Of course, not. So grow up - unless you are equating a fictional religion with Islam. In which case you have another problem to deal with...
    Well how mistaken are you then. Fictional religion perhaps in the past however because there were so many people (Im not sure of the exact number required) who put their religion down as Jedi Knight in the last census, it was accecpted legally as a recognised religion by law and in the census. :lol:

I would also like to question if this post is a secterian mock of my religion in which case under the left wingers eyes you would be classified a bigot?

Just because you cant use the force doesnt mean it doenst exist! :rolleyes:

You Bigot I hope Darth Vader gets you in hell!
    Well how mistaken are you then. Fictional religion perhaps in the past however because there were so many people (Im not sure of the exact number required) who put their religion down as Jedi Knight in the last census, it was accecpted legally as a recognised religion by law and in the census. :lol:

It wasn't given legal representation, but required a category of it's own during analysis.

I was one of the people who did it, just to buck the system.

Oh, and I quote Lucas regularly becuase the Trilogy (in five parts) reflects how this planet operates...
    I would also like to question if this post is a secterian mock of my religion in which case under the left wingers eyes you would be classified a bigot?

No, it is a mock of your poor attempt to make a point about this girls religious beliefs.
    Just because you cant use the force doesnt mean it doenst exist! :rolleyes:

You Bigot I hope Darth Vader gets you in hell!

Oh please. Get help. Really. I mean it. Okay our mental health services aren;t the best but I'm sure they'd give you priority...
    "it is a mock of your poor attempt to make a point about this girls religious beliefs."

Oh and how my heart bleeds.......

"Oh please. Get help. Really. I mean it. Okay our mental health services aren;t the best but I'm sure they'd give you priority..."

Am I meant to laugh at this point...? :rolleyes:
    Oh and how my heart bleeds.......

Really? I thought that would require compassion...

*sniffs*

Yep, smells like a racist...
    Am I meant to laugh at this point...? :rolleyes:

No. Did you?
    Man Of Kent

Okay our mental health services aren;t the best but I'm sure they'd give you priority

Not blowing the NHS trumpet for a change :confused:
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    Not blowing the NHS trumpet for a change :confused:

I don't always. I condemn when I see need to. Otherwise I try to put things into perspective.

We need people to do that because otherwise all we get is an ill-informed reactionary response...

:p
    Me too!
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    firstly I didn't read the whole thread so any dodgy comments Sorry,

Anyway.. It's stupid to Deny this girl her education, It's her religions and beliefs.. If it was a muslim male he's allowed to wear his turbin,
    theyareontome.gif

ermmmmm muslim men dont wear turbin.... sikh men do and sikh men HAVE to wear them, it isnt just some group that believes it part of religion, its erm part of their basic beliefs, the 5 items part of it

some peoples ignorance outstands me

This is not true.
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    This is not true.

yeh it didnt become a religion but a recognised belief - its harder starting up a religion than is a business these days! :lol:

but if i decided to follow the anti-christ etc would the school allow me to wear what i feel i need to practice my religion - NO

the school was wrong to exclude as that is actually against guidelines laid down to LEA's - they shouldnt exclude people for wearing wrong uniform

the point im trying to get across is that most muslim agree with the headscarf being a compulsory part of the religion but not the full length cloth, so the school has upheld its duty to apply a flexible uniform code to cater for certain faiths and costumes to fit in, but it can only do it for the majority religion it cant do it for all relgions or sects of religions
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    yeh it didnt become a religion but a recognised belief

No it didn't.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/new_media/1271380.stm
    thanks for clarifying blagsta

but then the question of what makes a religion acceptable comes into question to - as to allow religiously required clothing, requires the question of 'what religions are allowed as not to discriminate' - and the only real option is to refelct the majority of students, and the majority of students and the majority of them are entirely happy to wear headscarves