Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Plain shirts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I really need to find a plain shirt in either white or pale purple. I have a job interview on Friday and am wearing a dark purple pin striped trouser suit but I can't find anything suitable to wear with it.

Today I went down Oxford street and back twice. I looked in so many shops: Debenhams, BHS, Principles, Next, House of Frasier, New Look, Morgen, Karen Miller, Laura Ashley, Dorothy Perkins, Marks and Spencer, Wallas, Tatlas, H & M, United Colours of Benetton, GAP...

Nowhere has plain cotton shirts tho. Some of them have a few ugly stripy ones but they look silly with a strippy suit.

I thought I could just where one of the shirts I used to wear at my old work but I tried them on and nono of them do up properly anymore. I don't really want my tits on display for an interview.

*rant over*

Comments

• Options
    What about school uniform suppliers. It might sound daft but if there's a decent one near you they're bound to have shirts for 16/18-y-os which will be fitted and stuff.

Failing that, did you try TopShop? The only other place I can think of but I thought they did them. Oh, and Bay or River Island.
  • Options
    asda sells them real cheap.

(get the ones for my transfer papered shirts there)
  • Options
    miss selfrige!!

i always wore baggy shirts in school but got a fitted one from miss selfrige for muckup day and it looked really good apparently!! :)
  • Options
    I'm going to go to Covent Garden tomorrow to try to get one of these expensive but hopefully worth it shirts. At least I'll be able to get one that does up and yet doesn't drown me!!!

And I'll try the other shops that you suggested on the way as I don't think I tried topshop or miss selfridges.

Sadly we are not blessed with an asda here or any school uniform shops that I can think of :(

The problem with "fashion" shops is that at the moment good old plain shirts just aren't in. I quite like some of whats in fashion at the moment but it's not really work/ office stuff. Unless you work somewhere that big fushia pink flowers are appreciated.
  • Options
    topshop and miss selfridge pretty much always have plain cotton fitted shirts.

tesco have them too - not the snazziest of things, but smart enough, and if you're wearing it under a suit it won't show much anyway.

asda/sainsburys savacentre/primark/peacocks also have them from time to time.

if you can't find a shirt, a cute white vest top looks good under a suit - the smarter camisole kind, not the thick strapped tank girl sort.

but don't think that just cause you have to be smart that you have to be boring. my cousin (interviewer extraordinaire) told me you should always have something that stands out, even if it's just a nice necklace or a bright bag. if they're interviewing loads of people and they're all in suits and white shirts, they forget you, or mix you up. but if something about you is a bit different, they'll be like 'that girl with the hot pink bag' and it makes you stand out more in their minds.
  • Options
    Tesco, they've got a 20% off all clothing at the mo. :thumb:
  • Options
    Cheers guys. I got a pink fitted shirt today. Actually I got a white one too as I couldn't decide which to get but I'm going to return the white one as all my friends prefered the pink one with the dark purple. The interview is tomorrow :nervous:
  • Options
    Ther best place to get a shirt ever is Zara...they have shirts that fit you perfectly, and in a vast number of colours..and ive got shirts from a number of places.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lovin_ur_work
    they have shirts that fit you perfectly

but what size are you though? :eek2:
  • Options
    Why not trawl through charity shops. You'd be surprised what you can find in them.