Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

System 32 folder

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It opens everytime my pc starts up has done for months now, i think it only started when i removed a load of spyware from my pc, someone once told me its because the computer is trying to find something that isnt their. I dont know i have no clue anyone got any ideas about this and how to stop it opening up every time the desktop loads up coz its getting annoying now

Also what is the system 32 folder, whats its function.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    System32 contains a lot of important files vital to your systems operation.

What file is Windows looking for?
  • Options
    Originally posted by JsT
    System32 contains a lot of important files vital to your systems operation.

What file is Windows looking for?

Thats a problem, coz i dont know it doesnt tell me what its looking for
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    if the folder just appears .. it could be 2 reasons.

1) close the window, reboot via the correct start / run / shutdown option

2) go to start / run / startup - and see if the system 32 folder is in there - if it is, delete it n- its only a shortcut

try those

No system 32 folder under "start up" ??

:confused:

Could it be to do with teh fact i removed spyware?? Cause it only started not long after i did that?
  • Options
    I've had something similar before. Eventually the computer crashed one day, cocking up everything, so I ended up doing a reinstall anyway, and never did solve it.
    It's something to do with a program trying to open up a folder, or start a program which is no longer there. If you can remember which spyware you took out, then you should have an idea of where to start.
    I'd say start by using a search engine to look for help on the problem.
  • Options
    Richeh,

Go to Start > Run > and then type in "msconfig" at the prompt, without the quotes. Msconfig is available on Windows 98, Millenium and XP but not 95 or 2000.

Once in the System Configuration program, click on the very last page, "start-up" and browse through the tick list. These applications (a good 20 or so) are called upon start-up. Most of the programs then sits in the tray by your clock, on the bottom-right corner of the screen. See if you can find anything that resembles the system32 folder. If found, untick it, click "apply" and then "close". You'll then be asked to reboot the computer for the change to take effect.

Feel free to look at everything on the start-up list in Msconfig. Most of the programs can be called upon manually, especially resource hogs such as Real Player and Quick Time.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    Richeh,

Go to Start > Run > and then type in "msconfig" at the prompt, without the quotes. Msconfig is available on Windows 98, Millenium and XP but not 95 or 2000.

Once in the System Configuration program, click on the very last page, "start-up" and browse through the tick list. These applications (a good 20 or so) are called upon start-up. Most of the programs then sits in the tray by your clock, on the bottom-right corner of the screen. See if you can find anything that resembles the system32 folder. If found, untick it, click "apply" and then "close". You'll then be asked to reboot the computer for the change to take effect.

Feel free to look at everything on the start-up list in Msconfig. Most of the programs can be called upon manually, especially resource hogs such as Real Player and Quick Time.

Done. Found a few things i think it could be but not 100% sure. If i untick something can it cause any harm to teh computer, i assume i can go back in and re-tick it and there shouldnt be any harm done ??
  • Options
    Monserrat I did what you said.

and unticked 3 things i thought it could be, when i restarted the system 32 folder didnt open,, yay i thought :D but then i have a message saying that the pc is now in selective startup mode and i should select standard start up mode etc. Im a lil confused, i have no clue about this stuff, can someone advice me here please ??

Thanks
  • Options
    Originally posted by Richeh
    Monserrat I did what you said.

and unticked 3 things i thought it could be, when i restarted the system 32 folder didnt open,, yay i thought :D but then i have a message saying that the pc is now in selective startup mode and i should select standard start up mode etc. Im a lil confused, i have no clue about this stuff, can someone advice me here please ??

Thanks

that's just because you selected not to open with everything in the registry, i've done it because i have some stupid things in there. Just click 'do not show this again' and ok.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    that's just because you selected not to open with everything in the registry, i've done it because i have some stupid things in there. Just click 'do not show this again' and ok.

Cheers :D