Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Personal Statements

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Help! Any links with info and help on writing one? I've tried but I don't know what order to put things in, what to put in, and HOW TO FIT IT ON ONE PAGE!! GODDAMNIT!! :crazyeyes
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    right....here goes im gonna try and help you with this one. I got offers from all of the unis i applied to so i must've done something right. My tips are:
    1) Do a few drafts of your statement before doing the final one and get people to check it through for things they think you might have missed, spelling, grammer etc.
    2) Avoid using stock phrases from 'how to write your statement' reference things etc
    3) don't give too many interests (you'll have no time for work!) or include things like reading and going to the cinema - lets face it, who doesn't?!
    4) come across as enthusiastic and motivated about what you want to study and if it's something you haven't done before (like philosophy) then show you've done some research and know what it is.
    5) write about career plans perhaps and how your subject might link in with them
    6) what can you bring to the institution? eg wacky sense fo humour, maturity or good team working
    7) recent major achievements
    8) any gap year plans
    9) paragraph your statement using topics for eg
    - why you want to do your chosen course
    [- extracurricular activities in school]
    - work based experience, part time jobs and things that would give you useful skills
    - interests
    10) be concise and don't write anything you aren't prepared to talk about in an interview...like I went sky diving for the NRIWT when you have no idea what those random letters stand for and you can't stand heights ;-)
    GOOD LUCK
  • Options
    Cheers sillystring; much appreciated!! :) All a bit daunting now that applications are looming, i have lots to write but I was worried it's all irrelevant and I'd put it in a weird order!
  • Options
    I've tried to write some stuff on this see my personal statement guide. Not sure if it will help though - it might be a bit to general.
  • Options
    Originally posted by sillystring
    1) Do a few drafts of your statement before doing the final one and get people to check it through for things they think you might have missed, spelling, grammer etc.
    Was that ironic? ;)

If you have a UCAS advisor at school or college they'll be able to help you get the tone right.

There's nothing wrong with saying you read a lot, or are interested in films, but as sillystring says only mention it if it's a genuine interest and not just something you do. Does that make sense?

Gap year plans are vital if you're taking one, to show you're not just going to doss.

Other than the things sillystring mentioned then, I'd say make sure it's in "your voice" so no matter who checks it, it's still your statement. Otherwise when you get to the interview if the interviewer has read it properly they'll wonder if you wrote it at all.

I think there's some advice on the UCAS website: http://www.ucas.co.uk/
  • Options
    what are you hoping to do at uni butterflykisses? just cause im nosey.... :-)
  • Options
    In a perfect world I'd do the combined social sciences course at Durham; you can choose the modules you're most interested in and basically build your own course from a selection of subjects. I'm looking at Anthropology, Sociology, Psychology and Politics. I won't do all 4 but some combination of 2 or 3.

But that all relies on me getting in! If not, I'll do Sociology and Politics; I want to go into human and civil rights and since these two are topics that I enjoy and that will help me on my way into that career area, they seem like a good choice.
  • Options
    cool...sounds like a good combination of subjects, and interesting too. I take it if you want to go into human and civil rights you've been reading the politics/views forum? lol. That lot in there are soooo hot headed!! :-) good luck with it anyhoo.