Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

freedom of association

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd say the shop keeper had a right to say no blacks should be in his shop!
  • Options
    So you would potentially condone allowing an old lady to starve to death?

Genius.......
  • Options
    I'd support the RIGHT for the business owner to run his business HOW HE chooses!
  • Options
    The shop owner should be allowed to pick and choose who he allows in, however discrimination against all people from a certain race or culture is not accepted in our society and there are laws against it. However, if the shop keeper says "i dont want you in my shop because you're rude" he could get away with it.
  • Options
    Whether there are laws against it is irrelevant. I'm saying there should be NO legislation against denying access to racial or religious groups.
  • Options
    Toadborg
    Sole liber, what if we were talking about a small village, only one shop and the shopowner is denying access to the elderly black lady, she has no transport of her own thus very difficult to get to other shops. Would you be so happy to defend the racist shop-keeper then?

Well there's hypothetical and then there's hypothetical :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by the sole liber
    Whether there are laws against it is irrelevant. I'm saying there should be NO legislation against denying access to racial or religious groups.

Why don't you just go the whole hog and create and apartheid?
  • Options
    Aparthied was GOVERNMENT SPONSORED discrimination.

Governments should never discriminate. But if you own a shop then that isn't administered by the state!
  • Options
    Aparthied was GOVERNMENT SPONSORED discrimination.

Governments should never discriminate. But if you own a shop then that isn't administered by the state!

What difference. Ownership or not, no-one should have the right to discriminate on grounds of race.
  • Options
    i seriosly don't like you sole liber.

none of us can ever be allowed to be free to treat any people how the hell we fancy.
    old fat hooky eye hamza ...said some nasty things ...only said ...but you are eager to condem him.

your grasp on reality comes from your father. you are apeing him as you obviously have no real experience or knowledge of the world yet.
    you are a boy trying to play in a mans world.
    i pray reality gives you some fucking hard knocks.
    ...and having just read some of 'your' blog ...i am even more convinced none of what you say on these forums is of your own thinking.
    the blog has been written by someone completely different!
    daddy by any chance?
    you need to get out and about a bit more so you can develop some ideas based on fact as opposed to the views of your over bearing father.
  • Options
    Originally posted by UpsetChap
    What difference. Ownership or not, no-one should have the right to discriminate on grounds of race.

There IS a difference!

It's an issue of private property rights. If I own a business, then it should be MY decision as to who I can employ or permit to do business with me!
  • Options
    No it isn't!
    Like it or not, we coexist with each other, and what you do affects other people.
    If you don't like that, fuck off to a deserted island or something.
  • Options
    There IS a difference!

It's an issue of private property rights. If I own a business, then it should be MY decision as to who I can employ or permit to do business with me!

Why should it? We don't live in anarchy and unfortunately like it or not, own it nor not you have a responsability to your fellow man. You should no more be allowed to discriminate against someone on the grounds of race than be entitled to murder them simply because you own the piece of dirt they're standing on.
  • Options
    UpsetChap
    Why should it? We don't live in anarchy and unfortunately like it or not, own it nor not you have a responsability to your fellow man

Utopian, besides a business is a tight ship and the boss should be in absolute charge
  • Options
    Why should it? We don't live in anarchy and unfortunately like it or not, own it nor not you have a responsability to your fellow man. You should no more be allowed to discriminate against someone on the grounds of race than be entitled to murder them simply because you own the piece of dirt they're standing on.

Why shouldn't people be allowed to discriminate?

If private property rigthts are to be upheld, then why that means a property owner should have FULL discretion over how his property is used, provided he respects the rights of others!!
  • Options
    I believe people should be allowed to discriminate as long as they don't go beating others up... but recognise the rights of other groups to throw it back in their faces. What comes around goes around.
  • Options
    Why shouldn't people be allowed to discriminate?

Please tell me you are taking the piss ??

You are.....................aint ya.
  • Options
    Yes I am serious!!
  • Options
    owner should have FULL discretion over how his property is used, provided he respects the rights of others!!

Like respecting others' rights not to be discriminated against because of their skin colour perhaps?
  • Options
    In the US can they still discriminate?

Also is it wrong to discriminate for employment such as being a model? If your job is to sell a product and you advertise asking for a blonde haired girl is that discrimination?
  • Options
    Some towns in the south of the US still practise segregation.
  • Options
    Is it illegal?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocksteady
    In the US can they still discriminate?

Also is it wrong to discriminate for employment such as being a model? If your job is to sell a product and you advertise asking for a blonde haired girl is that discrimination?

Legally speaking no.
  • Options
    Like respecting others' rights not to be discriminated against because of their skin colour perhaps?

No, since no force or fraud is committed against a person who is denied access to a building because they are black.
  • Options
    Anyone who engages in business with the public must obey the laws of the country regarding trading.

The law establishes that no such discrimination can take place.

So that's really the end of that.
  • Options
    No, since no force or fraud is committed against a person who is denied access to a building because they are black.

Since when did an individuals rights only extend to protection against force or fraud. If you want to live in a society where people are free to discriminate against each other on ground of ethnicicity, race, religion or gender then go create a hermitage in antarctica. The rest of us are content to coexist in a society that respects each others rights as an individual.

I don't know where you get this idea that because you own something you're entitle to racially discriminate on it's behalf, because it simply isn't the case.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Anyone who engages in business with the public must obey the laws of the country regarding trading.

The law establishes that no such discrimination can take place.

So that's really the end of that.

just to debate though.... those laws werent there initially, we werent entitled to no discrimination from our species evolution
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    just to debate though.... those laws werent there initially, we werent entitled to no discrimination from our species evolution

What on earth does that mean?
  • Options
    Blagsta

Some towns in the south of the US still practise segregation

I very much doubt that is the case (I'm sure it would've been judged unconstitutional) unless you can give an instance

Aladdin
    The law establishes that no such discrimination can take place

a bar/pub can have a sign saying 'No travellers' (where/when did I last see one?)

more practically establishments give the cold shoulder to those they don't wish to deal with
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    a bar/pub can have a sign saying 'No travellers' (where/when did I last see one?)

more practically establishments give the cold shoulder to those they don't wish to deal with

That's because "travellers" won't be covered under the Race Relations Act.