Home› Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sociology

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I applied to do this at Birmingham, making sure i got the form in early so i've had ages to think about my application.

The more i think about it the more i think im wasting my time with Sociology :( im losing faith with it. Too much heavy theory and interpretation. Also i see very little it can be applied to in a working context:confused:

Does anyone have any experience of what can be gained from a degree in sociology (not personally gained, so much as how your education can be applied)?:confused:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    is this subjec something that you enjoy studying?
  • Options
    Well the only way you'll know whether you'll like it is if you give it a go; however it can be a costly decision! Have you done all the reading up that you can about the course that Birmingham does?
  • Options
    oh i enjoy it, i like it and i do alright in it, but im not sure if its going to lead to anything meaningful :banghead:
  • Options
    I would have thought careers in education, journalism, social policy, social work. Don't forget many employers are just looking for any degree when it comes to graduates. The majority of my friends with degrees didn't end up working in their field.
  • Options
    Sociology is quite a broad subject, covers lots of things therefore useful when applying for jobs. If you like it, then go for it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    oh i enjoy it, i like it and i do alright in it, but im not sure if its going to lead to anything meaningful :banghead:

enjoying a subject is always a good reason to go into it. If the subject had no job potential then it wouldnt be there in the first place
  • Options
    Every degree gives you some kind of useful skills. Most employers aren't even that interested in what degree you have, just having a degree shows them that you have the motivation, academic ability and general skills that they like employees to have.

With a degree like sociology, you gain analytical skills, logical thought patterns and it proves that you have an understanding of people, plus if that particular degree requires a dissertation it shows you can go into depth and research things thoroughly and independently. You can go into virtually any career direction with that kind of basis; logic and analysis skills will take you far in anything from economics to PR.

If you're really interested or worried, try calling the faculty at Birmingham and asking them about their alumni and the kind of careers they're in now (it might actually say on the website).

Good luck!
  • Options
    yeah, thanx 4 your support :D
  • Options
    is there anything else you're interested with that you could combine with the course? like i did a crime and deviance unit which i really enjoyed in sociology and so i had decided to do criminology and sociology to give me a bit of variation. :)

i have a friend who was doing psychology and sociology, but for her second year she's just doing the psychology bit.
  • Options
    wanna learn a foreign language.
  • Options
  • Options
    no, there is an option to learn one in combination.

an opportunity i dont wanna miss :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Don't forget many employers are just looking for any degree when it comes to graduates.

Very true :yes: It shows that you can commit to something and work hard at it for an extended period of time and employers want you to do that if they give you a job.
  • Options
    I study sociology at birmingham and just finished my first year.its a very broad course and you can do modules in any of the social sciences. i would recommend it...and like others have said you can do whatever you want at the end of it because like a history degree you can go into any area your interested in as long as you get a good degree. If you wanna know anymore about birmingham let me no.
  • Options
    stangoc, what kind of modules have you done in your first year?
  • Options
    I have done:

a module in media
    a module in sociology
    a module in multiculturalism
    a module in skills and methods - like reseach skills where u do a group project

Then u can choose 2 modules from outside the department so i did one in philosophy and one in psychology to make up 120 credits as each module is 20.
  • Options
    i'm guessing you did it to as/a-level, did you do any of the above then? and were there any simularities?