Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

positive discrimination

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Positive discrimination is it right?
an example of positive discrimination for those of you not in the know:
The police force will put anyone who is white and male and wants to join at the back of a que for two years. however if your an ethnic minority or female you will get in in a matter of months.

I understand the reasons for this, one being that there arnt enough females or ethnic minorities in the force.
its just the fact that the powers that be hide behind the words "positive discrimination", now I think is discrimination however they sugar-coat it and I dont believe its positive either.
Anybody got any comments?

Comments

• Options
    Most employers use positive discrimination to encourage more women, disabled people and other minorities to apply for the job in the first place. This is to try and get people who may otherwise believe they have less chance (Because of their colour, religion, sex, age or disability) of being considered for the job.

Those people still have to impress at interview and certainly wouldn't get the job if they were not able to do it as well or better than the other candidates.

sadly I know people at work who look at the asian, black, female and disabled people who work with us and still say 'well they only work here because they were the right sex, colour etc - it's not fair!'

As far as the police force goes there are many good reasons why both women and black/'ethnic' people don't apply - institutional racism being one. I would like to be a police woman but will never aply because I know I would not be able to stay silent about the crap that I know I would see. The police want to encourage more 'ethnic' people into the force, so that this country's police force is more representative of the community it serves. If positive discrimination helps that to happen by attracting more of these people to apply then it must be a good thing.
  • Options
    Positive discrimination is immoral and simply breeds resentment!

Why should you get a position in a company SIMPLY because you are black, female, gay, etc.?

The BEST PERSON for the job should GET the job, IRRESPECTIVE of race, gender or sexual orientation. If there are going to be anti-discriminatory legislation then that's how it should be.

Personally I think companies should be free to discriminate but that's a different argument.:cool:
  • Options
    byny
    Those people still have to impress at interview and certainly wouldn't get the job if they were not able to do it as well or better than the other candidates.

how would you know?

most employment decisions are taken behind closed doors by small nos of ppl
  • Options
    Originally posted by the sole liber
    Positive discrimination is immoral and simply breeds resentment!

Why should you get a position in a company SIMPLY because you are black, female, gay, etc.?

Perhaps yopu don't understand the law? They can't give a person a job just because of their sex and colour unless they HAVE to be a certain sex or colour - for example An elderly persons home may only advertise for a woman because the residents they are caring for are women who do not waht to be washed by a Male nurse.

However, they can publish a job advert asking specific sections of the community to apply because they feel that those sections are under-represented.

As someone who has sat in on interviews and been interviewed myself I know that most decet employers will have a representative from their personnel department at the interview to ensure that everything is above board. Lets face it, why on earth give a job to someone who is going to fuck it up just because they 'fit' the cplour/sex requirements.

The disabled are covered by positive discrimination laws too as they are often sidelined and can find it hard to gain employment .

Having said all that - if the person doing the interview has any kind of predjudice they may well turn someonedown anyway - specially if they don't have personnel at the interviews - (often the case for small employers)
  • Options
    byny
    Lets face it, why on earth give a job to someone who is going to fuck it up just because they 'fit' the cplour/sex requirements.

In the public sector at least, political pressure from councillors (of same ethnic group) to get their ppl into jobs
  • Options
    That's not how positive discrimination works. It means that a company should purposefully choose a woman or black person in order to appear more inclusive at the EXPENSE of someone better qualified for the job. That's why it's considered unjust.

Companies should be TRULY free to decide who to work for them.

Under current UK law, you cannot purposefully decline to hire someone based on race or gender. I don't believe that should be the case.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    byny

In the public sector at least, political pressure from councillors (of same ethnic group) to get their ppl into jobs

THEIR PEOPLE!!! what the........ You really do amuse me and scare me.

People are people and we are all deserving of the same opportunity.

You obviously believe that there is some big conspiracy to get 'ethnic' people onto councils, to get 'ethnic' people jobs...to...Oh I don't know what ...infiltrate the superoir whitemans territory?

You have been taken in haven't you....Why not start seeing beyond colour and start to realise that we are all people!

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    i agree that is can work, but for the amount of resentment it causes,since it means there will be indiviudal who arent the 'minority' who will be discriminated against, even if they are better qualified, now that just causes more people to think "they're only here to fill quotas"

if you want people from minorities to get into jobs, then sort out what puts them off applying so more better qualified people from minorities apply instead of those who wouldnt have thier job other than because of their race etc
  • Options
    You obviously believe that there is some big conspiracy to get 'ethnic' people onto councils, to get 'ethnic' people jobs...to...Oh I don't know what ...infiltrate the superoir whitemans territory?

Not my imaginings, it was a widespread belief in the London Borough of H... where unqualified ppl from ethnic groups were employed and promoted over professionally qualified ppl where the professional qualificaton a strict requirement. That particular Loony left borough was lampooned in the tabloids for employing a Greek ex-garage hand for a library job and an Turkish sports-centre manger who couldn't speak English
  • Options
    Ah yes but that resentment is often there in the first place.

Resentment breeds resentment. My friend in work is convinced that ALL the black/asian/disabled people who work with us only got their jobs because they had an extra leg up the ladder...what next...women are only there because people feel sorry for them ??
  • Options
    Not my imaginings, it was a widespread belief in the London Borough of H... where unqualified ppl from ethnic groups were employed and promoted over professionally qualified ppl where the professional qualificaton a strict requirement. That particular Loony left borough was lampooned in the tabloids for employing a Greek ex-garage hand for a library job and an Turkish sports-centre manger who couldn't speak English

Hopefuly only a widespread belief that this happened in this particular borough? It certainly would be very narrow minded to take that experience and apply it to all cases where minorities have been given a job!
  • Options
    Ah yes but that resentment is often there in the first place.

nothing compared to the resentment afterwards when it turns out new appointees aren't up to the job

I saw it 1st hand, a W. Indian guy got an unprecedentedly rapid promotion, his departmental meetings were a farce, he wasn't up to the job, he got a early retirement package and went back to W. Indies. Nice work for some
  • Options
    The fact still remains that its discrimination, and labelling it "positive" annoys me even more.
    It seems its bad to say: "sorry im going to have to put you on a waiting list because your black" but its ok to say it if your white.
  • Options
    I don't believe in affirmative action. Whoever is qualifid t a certain job, should get it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jinx
    The fact still remains that its discrimination, and labelling it "positive" annoys me even more.

i agree with this.

i've been applying for a whole load of jobs recently, and most say that if a person fits the essential requirements for the post, and is disabled, they are guaranteed an interview. they say that applications are particularly welcome from males and ethnic minorities, even if they do not meet the desirable requirements, as they are under-represented in the organisation.

but for a young able-bodied white female, i can fit all the essential requirements, and all the desirable requirements, and still not be offered an interview.

how is that fair?

i'm all for encouraging disabled people/ethnic minorities/people from mars to apply for any job they want, but they should be judged on an even keel with everyone.

the person who does the job best should get the job. i don't care if that means they have an office full of young white females, or an office full of one-legged chinese lesbians.
  • Options
    This ‘positive discrimination’ is even more disgusting that common negative discrimination. Its underlying idea is the same racism, sexism and other kinds of xenophobia: Women ( or blacks) should have the right to get this job, positions, benefits etc. in first turn because they are too stupid to get it in a fair competition. Common redneck-style xenophobes are at least honest and they don’t hide their prejudices under nice words.
  • Options
    kaffrin
    i've been applying for a whole load of jobs recently, and most say that if a person fits the essential requirements for the post, and is disabled, they are guaranteed an interview. they say that applications are particularly welcome from males and ethnic minorities, even if they do not meet the desirable requirements, as they are under-represented in the organisation.

Indeed, why should all groups be equally-represented , or indeed that disabled person be guaranteed an interview other than than for political display purpose?

I know of a Turkish ex rag-trade worker who helped a Local Councillor with their campaign and has been rewarded with a plum council job doing not very much at all on a good salary

kaffrin, the public sector is a political battlefield with fiefdoms and empires like in olden times
  • Options
    Positive discrimination is patronising and unfair.
    I'm almost certain it's happened with police recruitment and while I understand the need to recruit more women and ethnic minorities, it's the fault of 'certain' forces not to have encouraged people from more backgrounds into the job in the 1st place.
  • Options

kaffrin, the public sector is a political battlefield with fiefdoms and empires like in olden times

Councils are full of non-jobs, I worked for a London borough and the amount of pointless jobs is a joke and a waste of money that could be spend on hospitals, transports, education etc etc.
  • Options
    Positive discrimination is illegal in the UK.
  • Options
    byny

Evidence? Or more of your shit stirring "propaganda"?
  • Options
    de facto Positive discrimination occurs no matter how it's dressed up

'The Secret Policeman' referred to a speeded-upd selection of an Asian which was resented

exemptions to RRA are allowed
  • Options

Haringey or Hackney you're on about. You're also lying you shit stirring little racist cunt.
  • Options
    I saw it 1st hand, a W. Indian guy got an unprecedentedly rapid promotion, his departmental meetings were a farce, he wasn't up to the job, he got a early retirement package and went back to W. Indies. Nice work for some

No you didn't you liar.
  • Options
    I know of a Turkish ex rag-trade worker who helped a Local Councillor with their campaign and has been rewarded with a plum council job doing not very much at all on a good salary

Liar.
  • Options
    de facto Positive discrimination occurs no matter how it's dressed up

Funny how you can NEVER back up any of your stories innit. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Lie down Blagsta, give your gall-bladder a rest:D
  • Options
    Come on, back up your stories you little fuck.
  • Options
    Trying to get this closed? GOOD - get rid of these racist scum!
  • Options
    Sorry, I really shouldn't let her rile me so. It just annoying when she won't (probably because she's made them up) back up any of these stories.