Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Printers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My old Canon S500 has stopped printing in black. This is most pesky.

So I'm thinking of a new printer.

I see this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000UYS7G/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1_1/202-2850482-6095812 has all kinds of fancy gadgets.

Does anyone have a good printer?

Comments

• Options
    While on the subject of printers. My housemate's printer looks like it's had it.
    Anybody reccomend a cheap new printer that has inexpensive ink cartridges, and (this is an important requirement) uses the parallel printer port?
  • Options
    I've got an Epson AcuLaser C900, its a laser printer and really good.
  • Options
    Mr Wobble, I believe that Epson's line of printers all offer a parallel connection. HP don't. Also, the cheaper the printer, the more expensive the cartridges / cartridge use. When the carts run out on a £30-£40 printer, you may as well replace the whole kit with another identical printer!
  • Options
    Originally posted by dave_oliver
    I've got an Epson AcuLaser C900, its a laser printer and really good.

400 pounds though. that's a bit more than i wantes to shell out. Unless the toner /etc lasts forever ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    Mr Wobble, I believe that Epson's line of printers all offer a parallel connection. HP don't. Also, the cheaper the printer, the more expensive the cartridges / cartridge use. When the carts run out on a £30-£40 printer, you may as well replace the whole kit with another identical printer!
    I don't think they all have parallel anymore. :( I've been looking, and they seem to say USB, but if they have parallel they're not mentioning it.
  • Options
    Re: Printers
    Originally posted by Mist
    My old Canon S500 has stopped printing in black. This is most pesky.

So I'm thinking of a new printer.

I see this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000UYS7G/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1_1/202-2850482-6095812 has all kinds of fancy gadgets.

Does anyone have a good printer?

From what i can gather that printer is infact a very good model, was very much sought after, never got it in my shop though but it did attract a lot of interest, if thats any help to you
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat

Im afraid thats not quite correct, I have the hp 5650 and it does have parallel connection as well as usb but the printer itself will cost you around £100, the cartridges are around £20 to £30 altho dixons do there own cheaper range, between £11 and £17.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    While on the subject of printers. My housemate's printer looks like it's had it.
    Anybody reccomend a cheap new printer that has inexpensive ink cartridges, and (this is an important requirement) uses the parallel printer port?

Mr_wobble If your looking for a cheap inexpensive printer to run go for canon they are generally cheap to run but in my experience they are not of the best qaulity
  • Options
    nothing beats my HP all in one for £100
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blah_x2
    nothing beats my HP all in one for £100

/agrees Hp printers are the best in my opinion :cool:
  • Options
    HP did their best printers 5 years ago, especially with the Deskjets 695, 840 and 1220.

In '01, out pops their 656 which had a bad track record, followed by the 3420 which was even worse. We've had so many of those going wrong, that we gave up in the end and started selling the 3820 and 5150 instead.

For scanners, HP have always been quite good. Check out their new 3700 (or 3600 I can't remember). It looks like a window, because the whole thing is transparent!
  • Options
    my mums printer died so now we got a laserjet 4plus it quite old but just plug it in and select it in windows and it works great and it prints in like 2 secs flat :p
  • Options
    Well I don't know much about printers but I have an Epson Stylus C64. It was about £70. I bought a new black cartridge and it was £25.

It is nice to look at and the page guider thing can be folded away when not in use. It is matted silver and shiny black. If you want a pretty printer I'd highly recommend it!
  • Options
    I use an Epson 740 which is sevreal years old but the ink is dirt cheap - I can buy compatibles off thenet and last time I got 5 colours and 5 black for £20.

That ink has lasted me at least 2 years!!

Now all epson's have chips in the ink cartridge to help stop people refilling them.

When I was on holiday in Toronto my cousin's HP had pretty much died so we bought a Canon i350 as the canon has a seperate printing head so you're only paying for new ink, unlike the HP's which have an all in one design so you're always forking out for a new print head too.

The i350 was pretty small and quite fast and the results were pretty good on text espacially on plain paper.
  • Options
    My friend had one that has a voice. Every time you send something to print some random American dude who lives inside her computer tells you that it is about to print/ needs more paper or whatever.