Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

reference?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
may remember me rambling on about uni's once or twice before on this board, now need some advice.

v. confused by many people saying i dont need to apply thru ucas to go back to uni ( i quit at xmas) and others say i do. anyway ive decided to make doubly sure and get an application form, but i need a reference, i swore blind i'd never set foot in my school again when i left, plus its been 2 years, don't know if going back there after so long to ask for a ref. is gonna be any good to me

so the question is, is there anyone else i can get a reference off that uni's will accept when they receive my (incredibly late) application?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I applied for uni this year and hadn't been in education for a couple of years ago and had to go to my art tutor in college for a reference. I didn't even think he remembered me but he was very willing to give a reference for me.

So just go to your school, talk to your tutor and explain the situation and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to give you a reference :)
  • Options
    Your school will still give you a referance even if you were the reble without a cause!

..... it would look odd if you applied without one, when it has only been 2 yrs......

.... it should be fine.

FO
  • Options
    I hear of people going back to school 30 years after they have left for a reference - 2 years is nothing - people always go back after 2 years so don't worry about it, stop being stubborn and get the school reference
  • Options
    Schools keep lots of records on you for a long time. So they'll know if you bunked off all time/ put in lots of effort/ were always a top achiever or whatever. Also, seeing as schools like thier students to go on to do well in life they will try to be as positive as possible without telling outright lies. They focus on the good points.
  • Options
    forgot about school records never getting thrown out...

i'll get onto it next week. thanks people :)
  • Options
    You always apply through UCAS unless it's something like nursing or teaching that have their own application systems.

There should be guidelines on who to get to do the reference, that will indicate who should be used if you have been in work for so long, etc..
  • Options
    Also, if people did have problems getting references from schools or colleges they went to a few years ago there are other options

This page is UCAS may help

I've written UCAS references for volunteers who have worked for me before.

Susie :)

And yes, they did get places!