Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Drug law in 10 years time?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Now, we have discussed our views of what should happen to drug legislation, but what do you think WILL happen.

Personally I think there will be more moves towards de facto decriminalisation of personal drug use. But at the same time there is going to be a growing witch hunt for heroin and cocaine dealers.

There will be more treatment centres for people, mainly because its more cost effective than putting them in prison. But at the same time those not working with treatment will be treated harshly.

I also see there being harder "on-the-spot" fines and penalties for those caught involved in 'anti-social' behaviour like drunken fights etc.

Your thoughts?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    you never know, a reactionary tory government could make everything class A with a life sentence for possesion. (slightly going over the top here i think)

on a serious note, i see cannabis being legal, ecstacy class C, heroin and coke still class A but PROPER treatment to help ween them off, can't think of much else now.
  • Options
    I dont see cannabis being legal for quite a while, international treaties are a bitch to get out of.
  • Options
    still where they are now.

There is no-one else left to appease:D
  • Options
    one deluded twat at the top and nobody will be able to do anything.

Brussells, London, Washington, Pyong Yang, Rome, Harare... Take your pick mate they are everywhere!:D
  • Options
    in ten years time we will be living in a right wing police state where bieng gay is an imprissonable offence and recreational drug use is life in the slammer.
  • Options
    10 years? I wouldn't think cannabis would be totally legal just yet, could be suprised though. Ecstacy probably will never be taken out of Class A because it's the big bad E tabs the media has created, most drugs in class A now will stay the same, i couldn't see acid or something being made any lower because compared to Cannabis they are a totally different thing altogether.

Heroin and Cocaine though would still be the same but much better help offered to addicts.

Alcohol made illegal like it the 1920's in America, would never happen.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Ignor the fuckers. I think it's pathetic for a country to bow down to this shit, we'll end up as one big country and then all it takes is one deluded twat at the top and nobody will be able to do anything.
    What are they going to do, come and arrest the queen?

What would they do? Oh probably nothing, just some trade embargo's, financial penalties, loss of good relations with most 'western countries' thats all.

Shogun; I think MDMA will be moved down, it has de facto been moved down already really, because in a lot of cases they only give you a caution for possession. So like with cannabis there will be a tidying of the law.

But as Rolly says there could well be a right-wing back lash to this liberalisation of some parts of society. Who knows. There is the pendulum theory in which society gets a too liberal, then swings back and gets too harsh. Its been happening most of this century. But then there is the begining of a change to whats seen as liberal or not.

We have for example horrific laws regarding terrorism, internment of non-uk citizens, yet there is a relaxing of the drug and sex laws.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    be the end to all problems then wouldn't it? or lets go the liberal democrat way and make all the drugs under the sun legal and create chaos.
    you don't appear to know much about anything ...you obviosly know even less about drugs.
    your out of your depth again.
  • Options
    fighting over drugs? i think i'd be more worried about pissed people if i was you.
  • Options
    lukesh, get a grip on the real world.

There are many many many other people out there who take drugs recreationally and don't inject themselves all them...drugs will never be totally banned, if you want all drugs to be banned to stop fighting and stuff then ban alcohol, mind you i would never want that, got to love the old' drink.
  • Options
    I and many others don't want to go through the streets of the city centre and see people injecting them selves.
    make drugs ilegal then ...
  • Options
    Legalising is the only answer to the drug problem I think.
  • Options
    lukesh, go back to your 50's utopia world, the fact is that 90% of drug users take drugs privately, don't start fights and are usually normal people with normal lives with normal brains, unlike a lot of alchoholics i know, yes heroin use is a problrem but do you really think making the laws stricter on it is really gonna make a difference?
  • Options
    i would like to see drugs laws become much lighter. i like the idea of drugs being regulated by the goverment, and if you get ill because of drugs abuse then you have to pay for your treatment.

personally, i feel that it's not just the policys and laws on drugs that need to be reformed if we are to see some change in britain, there needs to be a "you can do what you like but if you get ill or cause damage and it's your own fault ie because of alcoholism, drug abuse ect then you have to pay for the things you need and the damage you cause, ie if you cause a drink fueled fight and break someones propety you then have to pay to have it replaced. but i think a lot of the laws surrounding child abuse/murder/organised crime need to become much harsher. a life sentents should be life.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    lukesh, go back to your 50's utopia world, the fact is that 90% of drug users take drugs privately, don't start fights and are usually normal people with normal lives with normal brains, unlike a lot of alchoholics i know, yes heroin use is a problrem but do you really think making the laws stricter on it is really gonna make a difference?

Agreed :yes:

Maybe 'Mr kirk' wouldnt have had to hear those fateful words ('You'd better come down to the station house. Your son is dead') if society had encouraged more openess and available treatment.

The amount of drug rehabilitation provision in the Prison system (for example) is scandelous and completely illogical

:mad:
  • Options
    But not everyone is like that.
  • Options
    I dont feel I have the right to say what should happen with drugs I've had no experience with, but I think cannabis should be decriminalised, drugs which are more likely to affect others, such as class As which users may get by stealing off others/get huge withdrawal symptoms from should remain illegal, and I don't know really.. I don't see why substances are illegal if they're not going to harm people other than the ones who are taking it, especially when alcohol is legal and cannabis is less harmful than alcohol in my opinion, but nevemind
  • Options
    As far as alcohol goes I very much doubt its ever going to be illegal, they tried that once in America and look what happend they formed the crucible in which the MOB was born. Can they get rid of the MOB now? can they fuck.
    legalisation of drugs maybe a step foward in eradicating organised crime, drugs are their bread and butter.

Lukesh you seem to firmly believe the bullshit that the media has fed you, not every drug user jacks up in a council flat in the middle of a city.
  • Options
    well ...i've been smoking cannabis for 36 yrs ...i'm a parent ...a grand parent ...and things are fine thankyou.
  • Options
    Lukesh; Could you name me a society which has rid itself of drug use? Just one example would be enough.

And, the arguement is NOT down to whether legalisation is a good idea. It is down to whether legalisation would be better than what we have now.

Tougher penalties will not work, lets take the example of the US. They have some of the toughest penalties for drug use in the Western World yet the most destructive drug problem.

The drug market in the UK is worth at least £8 Billion pounds a year. Do you really think the government couldnt spend that better than criminals and terrorists?

And, most importantly when disussing a topic like this you have to understand that 'drugs' are not one entity. They are all different with very different risks and benefits.

To suggest that relaxation of the law would mean everyone shooting up fails to understand that even if given it free most people wouldnt want to even try heroin.
  • Options
    You seem to think that it is the law and only the law stopping people for doing drugs. I think it is plainly obvious that its not much of a deterant.

And also thats very patronising, without the law most people would make exactly the same choices as they do now.

If murder was decriminalised its likely that the number of murders wouldnt go up, most people are relatively decent.
  • Options
    the only way to make it worse in my opinion.

Why is that?
  • Options
    thats how i se it and No i havn't read it from the sun about drugs i see it everyday with my own eyes.

No you don't, you're exaggerating like you always do.
  • Options
    why are people so interested in drugs? Why the need for it?

People have been doing drugs for thousands and thousands of years. Laws ain't gonna stop it.
  • Options
    Go on lukesh, tell my legalisation would make the problem worse.
  • Options
    Sorry, I made a typo. :o

Tell me why legalisation would make the problem worse.

The main reason why drugs are such a problem is down to prohibition. Because they are a black market commodity, there are no legal controls on how business is conducted, on purity etc.
    The price is also kept artifically high, leading to people comitting crimes to fund habits etc.
    Legalise and most of these problems dissappear.

I have set the arguments out in a better way on here before, I can't be arsed to repeat. Do a search if you like.
  • Options
    Why are people interested in drug use?

Personally I find it interesting because many different fields, socialogy, criminalogy, law, politics, chemistry, biology....etc.

And why the need for them?

Hmm, well I guess there isnt a need for them. Same as there is no need for art, culture, fiction...etc. There are many different things humans do for 'fun' or 'enjoyment' which we have no need for.

But then one would hope we have evolved above just what we need.
  • Options
    Alcohol is legal. Are most people pissed all the time?
  • Options
    Again I ask you, is it only the law stopping people doing other crimes?

Would you rush out and rape/murder/rob if the law was changed?

No, of course you wouldnt.

Of course there is a cultural problem in the UK with over consumption of drugs and alcohol.

This, to my mind would have to be addressed before full legalisation. But it could and should be addressed anyway.
  • Options
    God help the world if you ever breed. :eek: