Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

The Streets

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
For anyone whos got the album, what do you think of it? especially the track, Blinded by the lights and Dry your eyes. Purely class.

K :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    the streets are shit
  • Options
    Dry Your Eyes made me cry... Silly piccolo...
  • Options
    if mike skinner learnt how to rap on rhythm. dry your eyes would be one of the best songs ever produced. but no

other than that. the album is above average. producer yes. lyricist yes (don't argue) emcee/rapper. no

NO
  • Options
    How does it compare with Original Pirate Material?
  • Options
    Originally posted by molo

other than that. the album is above average. producer yes. lyricist yes (don't argue) emcee/rapper. no

In all fairness though, he knows he can't rap/MC. He's even admitted it in a few interviews I've read with him. Instead, he just does it in his own style.
  • Options
    Originally posted by sprocket
    the streets are shit

Your ignorance is uncanny. Mike Skinner has produced something which is different and that no one can really copy without sounding the same. If you actually listen to the lyrics, alot of people can relate to it at a young age. Just think about all those struggling bands and artists who all the sound the same, what people want is difference..not the conventional drone that always breaks through and becomes boring and eventually fades out. People remember this type of music, dont say you havent at least hummed or sang the chorus of Fit But you know it. Secretly you like it cos its entertainment, not something which you hear and forget about. ;)
  • Options
    if mike skinner learnt how to rap on rhythm. dry your eyes would be one of the best songs ever produced. but no

NO

A lyricist yes, i dont aggree hes a rapper or an MC. His poetry is something which not alot of people could really go into depth with themselves. He tells it how it is, how it should be..his experiences..not some made up love interest,but reality. thats what makes it interesting.
  • Options
    I have never really liked them before but their new song I can't stop listening to it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by shamonmofo
    Your ignorance is uncanny. Mike Skinner has produced something which is different and that no one can really copy without sounding the same. If you actually listen to the lyrics, alot of people can relate to it at a young age. Just think about all those struggling bands and artists who all the sound the same, what people want is difference..not the conventional drone that always breaks through and becomes boring and eventually fades out. People remember this type of music, dont say you havent at least hummed or sang the chorus of Fit But you know it. Secretly you like it cos its entertainment, not something which you hear and forget about. ;)

granted the beats are pretty cool but its the fact that he can't "rap" in time with the beats and that he sounds like a retard is what makes them shite
  • Options

NO

I have never taken it as him rapping. Just instrumental hip hop accompanying street poetry.
  • Options
    some of the most astutely observed lyrics ive ever heard. The guy has come out with some wonderful phrases that just capture certain things about peoples lives ('Sex, drugs and on the dole' being one that springs to mind).

I dont think you can see him in the context of being an MC, he's more of a poet who creates beats for his lyrics that helps to contextualise the comments he makes.

I like the Streets for many of the reasons i think that The Jam were great:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by shamonmofo
    dont say you havent at least hummed or sang the chorus of Fit But you know it.

It reminds me in some way of Parklife by Blur.
  • Options
    i never used to like the streets but their last few albums i have liked specially fit but you know it
  • Options
    He's only got 2 albums out. :confused:
  • Options
    ok i thought they had been going longer that i thought sorry their latest album then
  • Options
    they?!!

will people stop sayin they, them their....... what ever.

its one fuckin person.
  • Options
    they?!!

will people stop sayin they, them their....... what ever.

its one fuckin person.
    this proves you are still a boy! :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    this proves you are still a boy! :yes:

just cus your goin off gettin married and such...
    maybe i like being a boy
  • Options
    just cus your goin off gettin married and such...
    maybe i like being a boy
    :D
  • Options
    have a hen night at casa! that would be so cooooool! :D
  • Options
    have a hen night at casa! that would be so cooooool! :D
    might start off there but im planning a whole weekend to go away somewhere!
  • Options
    its one fuckin person.

I thought I was going mad, I'm glad it is.

I don't think he's that bad, but generally I detest the style of music. "You are fit but my gosh, don't you know it" really is a bottom-feeder of a lyric though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    In all fairness though, he knows he can't rap/MC. He's even admitted it in a few interviews I've read with him. Instead, he just does it in his own style.

Exactly. It's not meant to be " rap " music. It's his own style, basically.

The album is fantastic. OPM, the debut, is slightly better, but it's a class record.

9/10, IMO.
  • Options
    He's a brummy dont you know. :p
  • Options
    Original Pirate Material was a great album, but I really cant stand his new one. Give me the Audio Bullys anyday :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    He's a brummy dont you know. :p

Actually, he's not. He was born in London, and raised in Birmingham. His parents are total cockneys, hence his bizarro accent. :D

The Audio Bullys album is ace, but Skinner is light years ahead, IMO.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dave_oliver
    Original Pirate Material was a great album, but I really cant stand his new one. Give me the Audio Bullys anyday :)

thats because the two albums are totally different.....

OPM was sarcastic, piss taking, funny, witty, laugh a minute stuff - Skinner showing off his talent and having a alugh.

New album is much darker and the whole thing is one story - you are meant to listen to the album start to finsh in one go, and is not witten as a sing-a-long.

I woudn't say that you can compare them too much. The skill in this latest one is fantastic as is the producing, which I think (correct me if I am wrong) Skinner did as well.

FO
  • Options
    Just went out and bought A Grand.........

Fantastic. Very different from OPM but brilliant anyway.

Favourite tracks are the singles and It Was Supposed to Be So Easy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by funkyone
    thats because the two albums are totally different.....

OPM was sarcastic, piss taking, funny, witty, laugh a minute stuff - Skinner showing off his talent and having a alugh.

New album is much darker and the whole thing is one story - you are meant to listen to the album start to finsh in one go, and is not witten as a sing-a-long.

I woudn't say that you can compare them too much. The skill in this latest one is fantastic as is the producing, which I think (correct me if I am wrong) Skinner did as well.

FO

On Original Pirate Material the beats were fresh and original, Skinner's style was quirky and different and it actually felt like some geniune effort had gone into the album. A Grand Don't Come For Free sounds like its completely unrehearsed and unplanned, the beats are awful and listening to Skinner and his mates singing his lame hooks is about as enjoyable as contracting herpes.

No effort has gone into this album, a fucking child could have produced better beats with Cubase and a few samples.

Just my opinion :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by dave_oliver
    On Original Pirate Material the beats were fresh and original, Skinner's style was quirky and different and it actually felt like some geniune effort had gone into the album. A Grand Don't Come For Free sounds like its completely unrehearsed and unplanned, the beats are awful and listening to Skinner and his mates singing his lame hooks is about as enjoyable as contracting herpes.

No effort has gone into this album, a fucking child could have produced better beats with Cubase and a few samples.

Just my opinion :)

" Unplanned "?!

Sorry, but what a ridiculous comment.

The whole album is planned out from start to finish. Every track is vital to the overall story it's trying to tell. To say it's unplanned is just stupid. I'm not calling you stupid, but that comment deffo was.

It couldn't actually be any more planned. It's a concept-album.

Lyrically alone it's lights years ahead of most bands / artists this year. Not to mention the album takes huge-leaps forward sound-wise. This album was never gonna be OPM 2.