Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Jason Statham

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Yep, you guessed it this topic is about guys names who become with the amazing letter "J"!!

Lets give them all a round of applause :wave: (or a wave, so it seems lol)

I am a huge martial arts fan, that is the true meaning of this topic, I have seen lots and lots of Jackie Chans films and also own a lot too, I haven't seen so much of Jet Li's but I have seen quite a few, and think he's brilliant too, then there's Jason Statham (I think that's his last name, he's the guy married to Kelly Brook, he was in "Snatch"), he is also a great martial artist who proved his skills in "The Transportor", which was one of the best americanised Kung-Fu flicks i've ever seen.

My favourite film, which happens to be a kung fu film, is "Kiss of the Dragon" starring Jet Li

my favourite Jackie Chan film (he is my idol) is "Legend of the Drunken Master" aka "Drunken Mast 2".

I just wanted your views on martial arts, kung-fu, wushu, capoeira (i know i've spelt that wrong, i always do)

this leads on too me and a friend who are trying to teach ourselves these skills, which we're slowly starting to do, we're nothing amazing, but it's definately a lot of fun.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    sooooo? :eek2:

:p:p
  • Options
    did you read it all
    I just wanted your views on martial arts, kung-fu
    As in, what do you think of martial arts, what do you think of Jackie Chan? who do you like? does it interest you? what films do you like?
  • Options
    Originally posted by seany
    did you read it allAs in, what do you think of martial arts, what do you think of Jackie Chan? who do you like? does it interest you? what films do you like?

some people are just boring old farts, i would ignore the smell!:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cryztal
    some people are just boring old farts, i would ignore the smell!:D
    You refering to me or him as the bad smell lol
  • Options
    Originally posted by solid_L
    sooooo? :eek2:

:p:p

:D
  • Options
    okay, correct me if i'm wrong cos now i am completely confused, from your last post i assume your saying HE smells....

anyways, anyone care to tell me how they feel on this subject and what they like

anyways, anyone care to tell me how they feel on this subject and what they like

not being rude there, just making sure to try and make that stand out
  • Options
    I love martial arts but only the guys who are legit and dont pretend to do all jumps and stuff... i hate stunt doubles... whats the point in being an actor if u cant fulfil the requirements????
  • Options
    wow, you've just stepped on a whole other stepping stone

Jackie Chan uses stunt doubles, to fans of his that first find this out are absolutely shocked, he's used them once, he's used them twice, he's used them a hell of a lot of times, but then, lets look at tthe facts!

He's been doing pyhsical stunts and acrobatics since the age of 6. He's incurred many injuries, many life threatening, or many that can cause his life a lot of hardship.

In the majority of cases, he does his own stunts, BUT so does his stunt team, they all do the same stunts, and whoevers looks best gets used.

In other cases, they may know that one stunt man is better at doing one thing than the actor or other stunt guys, so they'll use him for a particular scene.

Sammo Hung, who is a fight choreographer and film director, and friend of Jackies since opera school where the were taught together, prefers to use stuntmen rather than Jackie, although he can fight and is capable of doing some of the scenes.

ALSO!! lets not forget he just celebrated his 50th birthday, meaning he's 50!! his back and some other parts of his body are so bad, that if he were to do a spinning air kick, he could fracture his back, so stunt doubles are used for this.

But this doesn't stop Jackie from being one of the best fighters/stunt men/comedians and all around entertainers in the world.

obviously these issues will apply to some others as well.

but this whole topic of stuntment and doubles goes into a huge discussion and can be talked about for a VERY lengthy time.
  • Options
    lmao ok sorry for stepping on another stepping stone...

what are you his PR?

j/k but very detailed responce well done ! x
  • Options
    Stunt doubles are used for one reason only.

$$$$$$$

You don't want your movie star, who your paying stacks of cash to get injured. Makes more sense to "risk" a lower paid nobody.

Saying that, nowadays, most of these stunts are very carefully co-ordinated and the risks are not as high as they were years ago.

On the other hand though the pressure from the viewer for bigger, better and more dangerous stunts has increased.

As for martial art stars get yourself some Bruce Lee vids. :)

Agree that Jet Li and Jackie Chan rock but I think Bruce set the standard.
  • Options
    Bruce set the standard, but his style was so much different, his on-screen presense was as a God, he was untouchable, he defeated all in front of him, with ease, and with such speed people were amazed, i'll agree he opened up the gates to the hong kong cinema, but in standard of choreography, i think jackie and jet got a lot further and deeper, obviously this is because things have had to become better otherwise people would become bored etc... btw 'm not putting bruce now, i know he's probably the greatest, and he is great, but i think jackie and jet (when doing reality kung-fu rather than spiritual) have added so many new things to the genre, with compeltely new styles.

and it's not JUST because of money, altho that is a huge reason.
  • Options
    :yes: Have to agree with that. But I believe if Bruce was still alive he would have moved with the times and changed the "style" of the films to suit.

As I mentioned earlier the viewers have demanded a different style of movie that is very much different from 70's/80's martial arts movies. We want more action, more stunts, more "unbelievable" fight scenes. The films from the 70's/80's were more realistic IMHO.

Oh and before everyone starts :yes: this should be in entertainment. :p
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    Anyone ever seen 'the One Armed Boxer' - top cheese. So are the 'Shaolin' films. :lol:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    :yes: Have to agree with that. But I believe if Bruce was still alive he would have moved with the times and changed the "style" of the films to suit.
    I agreed with all that you said, but, as no one can predict the future if different things happened in the past, who knows, if Bruce didn't die, then the kung-fu industry might never have kicked off...

i don't mean this in a mean way, but his death is what made him a legend, you can't be a legend if your still alive
  • Options
    Are there any martial arts without gradings?

Does Kickboxing have gradings?
  • Options
    I like Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.

Only because it takes the piss out of badly made, badly acted kung fu movies.
  • Options
    i thought jeet kun do was without ratings...what about hwa rang do?

i thought brandon lee took martial arts to a whole diff place by the way his actions were such a seamless part of the picture. with all the others, including steven seagal, the movie revolves or showcases the fight scenes where with brandon lee, the fights were a natural part of the story just like the dialogue, hitting the mark, scenery, etc. plus, he didn't really seem to do any identifiable martial art form but whatever worked, the true essence of jkd, right?

waddayouse guys tink?

kung pao had it's moments!:D
  • Options
    SAw this on a site

1. Jet Li (4.00) 7 6
    2. Bruce Lee (3.88) 17 8
    3. Jackie Chan (3.75) 4 1
    4. Chuck Norris (3.63) 8 5
    5. Jean Claude Van Damme (3.63) 8 3
    6. Steven Seagal (3.57) 7 4
    7. Chiang Sheng (3.50) 2 1
    8. Frank Dux (3.50) 2 1
    9. Kuo Chiu (Philip Kwok) (3.50) 2 1
    10. Lo Mang (3.50) 2 1
    11. Lu Feng (3.50) 2 1
    12. Bruce Li (1.00) 1 0
    13. Chow Yun Fat (1.00) 1 1
    14. Jeff Wincott (0.00) 0 0
    15. Jimmy Wang Yu (0.00) 0 0
    16. Jimmy Wang Yu (0.00) 0 0
    17. Michael Dudikoff (0.00) 0 0
    18. Sammo Hung (0.00) 0 0
    19. Sho Kosugi (0.00) 0 0
    20. Sun Chien (0.00) 0 0
  • Options
    Originally posted by seany
    I agreed with all that you said, but, as no one can predict the future if different things happened in the past, who knows, if Bruce didn't die, then the kung-fu industry might never have kicked off...

i don't mean this in a mean way, but his death is what made him a legend, you can't be a legend if your still alive

He was legendary even while he was still alive, and as for an example of you being able to be a legend in your own liftime, what about muhammed ali? or pele? both still alive and 95% of people you asked would name them as the best ever in their sport.
  • Options
    For Jet Li at the purest watch the first two Shaolin Temple movies.

For the best wire work get hold of Shaolin Soccer