Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Appearance n Jobs...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, I was recently turned down for a job at Monsoon *a clothing shop* but didn't think to ask for feedback after the interview...

My mum thinks I was too 'dark' for Monsoon *I'm practically a goth, but not so in-your-face goth..*

I'm thinking of applying to MAC Cosmetics after my exams, but am still worried that they won't want me, because I'm too 'dark'....

Has anyone else had problems like this, or is it just me being stubborn?! lol..

Ilora x

Comments

• Options
    Maybe you could try to tone down your look for going to interviews? I'm not saying don't be you... just if you're going for jobs in clothes shops you should try to dress in their sort of style. I know people who work in a lot of clothes shops don't have a uniform but have to wear clothes sold buy that shop e.g. Gap.

If you don't fancy changing your style to fit theirs maybe you could find a shop where your goth look will be appreciated rather than frowned upon, like a shop that sells the sort of clothes that you like to wear.
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree with Randomgirl. Most people would like to think they have their own style, and of course everyone prefers to wear clothes that they like in their own time. However when it comes to jobs etc, *everyone* generally has to abandon their own individual style to some degree. Whether your place of work has a strict uniform policy, you have to wear a suit, clothes from that particular shop or dress smart/casual, you will probably have to adhere to some form of dress code policy wherever you go.

If you really want to maintain your own style at work, then its probably best to apply specifically to places that are best suited to your look; music shops don't tend to be very strict, alternative clothing shops, that sort of thing perhaps.
  • Options
    What do you mean by being "too dark"?

If you have any facial piercings, make sure you take them out for interviews. I only wear a little nose stud but some people don't like them so I make sure I take it out when I go for jobs.

For interviews, just look as bland and ordinary as possible. Keep your personal style for your own time.
  • Options
    I wore plain black trousers and a black blazer...

I thought I looked quite smart compared to normal!

Oh, and that's the problem... there ARE no goth shops where I live. None at all.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Well, it may have just been a coincidence that there was a better applicant for that position, as what you were wearing sounds fine to me. Try and apply at a couple of other places and see if you have any further problems.
  • Options
    There's a really camp goth guy working in Debenhams.... *scratches chin* I may apply there?

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    I wore plain black trousers and a black blazer...

I thought I looked quite smart compared to normal!
    Would they have been able to tell you are a goth?

Was your make up neutral colours etc?

Just wondering.

Good luck getting a job where you can be yourself :)

(random comment- I had a very smartly dressed Physics teacher, she was head of department but quite young. She always wore teachery clothes at school and looked very professional. But she was frequently spotted at the local shops and stuff in very bizzare biker-meets-heavy-metal-musician type clothes. She wore lots of black leather and stuff out of school too.)
  • Options
    A friend went for a job with the GAP and didn't get it so his brother in law said write the person that interviewed you a letter saying how dissapointed you were, etc

so he did, they then called him back again and made him a trainee manager in one of their newest stores.