Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

City life

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've been accepted onto an ideal university course. There's just one problem - it's location.

Having seen old friends leave to the likes of Manchester and Glasgow, it would be a real disapointment to go to Carlisle. I used to live near there three years ago and it's hardly the best of cities.

I do have other choices but they just aren't QUITE as pleasing. One in particular though, Leith in Edinburgh, does seem nice even though I'd have to pay hefty tuition fees and find my own accomodation. It'd also take at least an extra year to get the degree (albeit a far stronger one than Carlisle).

I know it's my life, etc. but what would you do? Any response is greatly appreciated!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Re: City life
    Originally posted by Neil
    I've been accepted onto an ideal university course. There's just one problem - it's location.

Having seen old friends leave to the likes of Manchester and Glasgow, it would be a real disapointment to go to Carlisle. I used to live near there three years ago and it's hardly the best of cities.

I do have other choices but they just aren't QUITE as pleasing. One in particular though, Leith in Edinburgh, does seem nice even though I'd have to pay hefty tuition fees and find my own accomodation. It'd also take at least an extra year to get the degree (albeit a far stronger one than Carlisle).

I know it's my life, etc. but what would you do? Any response is greatly appreciated!

well, if you go to a place that you don't like, then you won't enjoy yourself and you won't be happy. you also need to remember that you'll be there for 3/4 years. i was in the same kinda situation, staffordshire did the course that i thought 'wow, that's everything i want' but i went to the uni and i just really didn't like it at all. (no offence to anyone who lives/goes there). it's just something you're going to have to think about i'm afraid.
  • Options
  • Options
    The Art College in Carlisle is actually really nice. I did my A level Psychology there, and my mate did her Foundation Art year there. Carlisle has also come on a lot in the last few years - there's loads more nightlife and shopping than there used to be and people now come from all over south west scotland and down as far as Lancaster to come shopping there.
  • Options

What course are you doing? I'm at Edinburgh Uni and I didn't know there was anything in Leith?
  • Options

Why would the tuition fees be any higher there?
  • Options
    Re: Re: City life
    Originally posted by UpsetChap
    What course are you doing? I'm at Edinburgh Uni and I didn't know there was anything in Leith?
    Sorry, I'm reffering to the College of Art. Leith School of Art is a converted Norweigen church which offers a first year foundation course similar to Edinburgh's.
  • Options
    Re: Re: City life
    Originally posted by Randomgirl
    Why would the tuition fees be any higher there?
    Because they're an independant organisation and receive no government funding.
  • Options
    Oh, and cheers guys for the help :)!