Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I Want a Career, They Want a Diploma.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey. I'm really pissed off.

After deciding to defer my entry to Uni for a year, I decided to apply to college to get a Makeup Artiste diploma. However, the course is oversubscribed due to all the townie girls in my area having no career ambitions and applying for a course in makeup so they can get out of working for a year. They want a year of slacking, I want a career...

I'm gonna write a cover letter to the college explaining my need to attend the course, and that I've applied to Uni for the following year, in the hopes of having a career in this particular field...

What chances do you think I'll be picked over the other girls?

I will have 3 AS's and 2 A levels, whereas most of them will just have GCSE's...

Ilora x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They might ask you why you want to do that course, when you are going to university afterwards.

And if you do want a career as a make up artist, why do you need to go to university afterwards?

I'm not trying to be mean, but how do you know these girls have no career ambitions and just want to do the course to get out of working? If they were that lazy they would just sit on the dole. I think you should not be so judgemental.
    I don't need to go to Uni, I'd like to, and it'd be stupid to turn down such an opportunity! *My parents have offered to pay my fees*

And, by having a diploma in makeup artistry, I'd have more experience in the field. This could make me stand out more from other applicants for the same course.

I'm not being judgmental about it... I phoned the college admissions office to enquire about the course, and that is what they told me about most of the girls that apply...

Ilora x
    Ouch, someone's a bit bitter.

What's wrong with getting a diploma then going to uni? It's not like I'm taking anything away from anyone, I'm just doing what I can, to get necessary experience.

Ilora x
    If I were you, id still apply anyway, A lot of people apply for more than one place, and then dont take their place on one of them. Its worth still applying anyway. Are you sure youd enjoy the course really, considering you already think youre better than the other girls whove applied. I Think its highly unlikely that everyone else has applied just to get out of working and youre the only one who really wants to do it, Im sure most of them are just committed as you, and if theyre not, they wont stick at it.
    What is the course you want to do at uni?