Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Festivals: The best and worst things about going

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
For me

Best: Running into old mates I haven't seen for ages, the atmosphere, being able to run around dressed like a fairy everyday :)
Worst: Going home, the portaloos, thieving, the really nasty food poisoning I had a couple of years ago (luckily didn't hit me til I got home!)

So what are yours?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    The Atmosphere: Everyone talking to everyone else, the people you meet.

The attitude: Just the carefree attitude of sitting around and doing what you want for a couple of days.

Unique experience/s
    :D
  • Options
    The best: The atmosphere, staying up late around the campfire, being able to talk to random people and getting random people talking to me, getting "free hugs", dancing around like a loony, the music (of course), the "tribal" feel of the last night as everyone sets fire to everything (Reading 2003!), eating and drinking rubbish and not caring :)

The worst: The portaloos after the first day, not being able to wash and feeling all greasy and skanky, waking up in the morning in a sweltering tent covered in sweat and knowing I won't be able to shower, expensive food/drink, really needing to go to the toilet in the night but having to mission it to the portaloos allllllll the way over the other side of the site, getting people peeing and dealing drugs round the back of my tent :(
  • Options
    Never been to a festival but being a Reading lass the worst thing about the festival is that once a year a tonne of smelly unwashed people take over our town and the queue for all public toilets (even in mothercare) is about 3 hours long.

*Feels like an old fart*

*runs and hids and starts to ponder upon why I'm in this forum anyway*
  • Options
    I've never personally been to a festival, but I'll twist it a bit and contribute.

The best bits about raving.. obviously the atmosphere, hearing one of your favourite tunes being dropped and hearing all the horns around you and all the lasers fly about, penny pupils , seeing your mates gurning and being in uncontrollable hysterics. Also how the vast majority of people there are on the same level and really friendly, can just sit and talk to anyone and not really give a fuck.

The worst bits..

Horrendous prices for drinks, being stuck at the train station at 6am with fuck all money (as a result of horrendous prices for drinks), comedowns! Err... Birkenhead? :p

Gorra ciggie mate?
  • Options
    Proper festivals don't really happen any more, which is a shame.
  • Options
    My best bit is when we've arrived, pitched the tent and opened the first beer.

and also just wandering about Glastonbury and seeing stuff you didn't intend to see that is really brilliant.

The worst....Just when you're about to drop off to sleep and you realise you really desparately need a piss/crap

Or waking up in the morning and realising you've camped right next to the place where they dump the Shit!!
  • Options
    Prefer community festivals/carnivals myself.

Best: Dancing in the street at 2am in the morning, with a can of red stripe in one hand

Worst: the festival ending
  • Options
    best: all the random people, especially the ones running naked through the campsite!:eek:

worst: waking up in the morning only to discover pleasant person has taken a crap outside your tent :rolleyes: (though i guess it beats the portaloos! :yuck: )
  • Options
    best: the atmosphere, likeminded people, music, freedom, happiness

worst:last year Reading was just wrong..it didnt live up to the year before and although some was amazing, other bits I was just depressed and that wasnt good. Looking back on it I remember the good bits I didnt see at the time though!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    Best:
    The Music, the Drugs, the Love. :yes:

Worst:
    Lack of kip, comedowns, the cost, and feeling filthy as fuck. :no:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The best thing is being on a kinda holiday with your friends doing something cool and seeing lots of great bands.

The worst is feeling really minging.

I take a washing up bowl and several million different wipes, creams and lotions to make sure I feel as fresh as possible! I'm not usually a girly girl but being dirty isn't something I can easily do. Yuck!
  • Options
    Tom Middleton making the sun come out by dropping Roy Ayers "Everybody Loves the Sunshine" at Big Chill free festy, Finsbury Park, 1996. :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I take a washing up bowl and several million different wipes, creams and lotions to make sure I feel as fresh as possible! I'm not usually a girly girl but being dirty isn't something I can easily do. Yuck!
    good idea. Im gonna take loadsa baby wipes and some dry shampoo.
    Is there anything you particularly recommend.
  • Options
    what's dry shampoo?
    I'm camping for first time this year and not sure what to take yet
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    good idea. Im gonna take loadsa baby wipes and some dry shampoo.
    Is there anything you particularly recommend.

Well like I said, I'm not usually a girly girl but I don't like to feel dirty! I would seriously recommend taking a plastic bowl of some sort so you can wash your face properly (and your underarms too!). In order to do it twice a day I take a flask and put boiling water into it in the morning so it is still warm in the evening for my evening wash! (My friends all mock me for this routine, but I'm not the one who smells!!). I also take deodorant wipes and 'no water soap' which I steal from work. Basically it is a hand sanitizer that doesn't require water, they put it in the portaloos but we stock it at work so I take it with me because the loos always run out. I'm not sure if you can buy it in the shops though as it is basically pure ethanol.
    I also take dry shampoo, baby nappy bags as they smell nice and I put used cotton wool and baby wipes in there. They're also good for anything else you come across that doesn't smell nice and they make your tent smell good!

what's dry shampoo?
    I'm camping for first time this year and not sure what to take yet[/B]

Dry shampoo
  • Options
    OMG! that is so cool!!! dry shampoo! wow! now i wont have to go home during the weekend and i'll take the other stuff you recommended too and wont smell! mwahaha
  • Options
    Originally posted by burningwings
    OMG! that is so cool!!! dry shampoo! wow! now i wont have to go home during the weekend and i'll take the other stuff you recommended too and wont smell! mwahaha
    If I didn't live over 100 miles away from Leeds, I would go home over anything if I could have a shower and wash my hair!
  • Options
    . In order to do it twice a day I take a flask and put boiling water into it in the morning so it is still warm in the evening for my evening wash! (My friends all mock me for this routine, but I'm not the one who smells!!).

Dry shampoo

Good for you for not hanging about by the taps holding everyone up!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    Good for you for not hanging about by the taps holding everyone up!!
    Gawd I'd never do that! Last year I had to queue for 20 minutes to fill a small bottle of water 'cos people were washing their hair (in cold water which makes it more greasy anyway!) / cleaning their teeth / washing their faces.... gah!
  • Options
    I'm not sure if you can buy it in the shops though as it is basically pure ethanol.
    i think sanex or someone similar make one cos my friend always has this at school