Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Summer Growing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
the suns out the weathers fine henceforth I decided to germinate a cannibis seed.It grew a bit each day and ended up with a long thin white stem and 2 small rounded flat leaves and 2 jagged leaves at the top,I had it hid by a small window in the attic for light but it never grew past this stage,the leaves never seemed to get any bigger and then I went up this morning to inspect and the head of the plant is nowhere to be seen and the stem was cut in half (before you ask shogun,no body found it and cut it off) so I think some bugs ate it ,I suppose what im trying to get to here is some advise on proper growing,its putdoor seeds and it would suit me if they were grown outdoors but I dont know abt water and soil and light hours ect,I just need a basic beginners guide

Comments

• Options
    There are millions of web sites which will be able to help you out, there is also a book called the cannabis growers guide, thats supposed to be good.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Cheers Bong. you_only_ live _once, we can't have that information on the boards I'm afraid, as we can't be seen to encourage board users to engage in illegal activities. Bongbudda's advice is good.
  • Options
    ok then,

Go to *link removed due to age restriction on entry*-LJ (As far as I know this site only sells bongs and stuff :), nout wrong with that!)
    There are some really cool games in the games section!
    Play a few games, hellicopter is good.
    My fav though would be "highgrow", play this for a bit. Might want to check the help files, to help you with the rules... :naughty:

Bopz
  • Options
    If I were growing indoors I would attempt to have a quick turn about but few plants.

Any charges that would be brought against you would be based quite a bit on the number of plants. Compare;

"Your Honor, he had 25 plants in his loft."

"Your Honor, he had 10 plants in his loft."

The latter is definately only small scale in the mind of the jury, the first sounds like your making it for profit.

If you had a mother plant and then took cuttings you could crop every 3 months or so and that way you dont need that many plants.

Just my thoughts anyway.
  • Options
    How long does it take the plants to grow to roughly what sizes?

Obviously this depends on conditions, the grower, the seeds blah blah blah but I'm just taking across the board averages..

I.E. If I planted seeds tommorow, when can I go harvest?

Cheers everyone :D
  • Options
    Seeds take quite a bit longer than cuttings to work, and obviously it depends totally on the set up. A sophisticated hydroponics and light set up will drasticly out perform just a tub and some normal lights.

Having said that though, many growers will tell you that you cant grow under normal strip lights. They are lying, you can, the results arent as good, but it can be done.

From seed with a good set up I would say the first harvest would be ready in 4 months maybe.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    If you had a mother plant and then took cuttings you could crop every 3 months or so and that way you dont need that many plants.

Now I've tried to do this using cloning solutions bought from a garden centre but have never managed to successfully get the cutting to produce roots. The cutting always wilts and dies after a few days even though I had damp soil for planting and lighly mist sprayed the cutting afterwards.

Has it worked for you? And what procedure did you follow to get it to work successfully?
  • Options
    With proper lights and hydroponics from seed then about 3-4 months. but as stated before, there are a million and one sites on the net that you can take a look at and give detailed guides on how to grow, what to add and how to build kits.
  • Options
    I never tried cuttings at all, and I never even had proper lights.

I had a very unsophisticated rig of ordinary tube lights and some plants in a propogator, it worked fine for me.

This was years ago though when I smoked loads and could justify producing. Now if I did I would end up with far too much stuff and my small dips into the world of puff dealing have always been FAR too much hassle to be bothered with. There is next to no real profit and its never even a quick sale.

But then if you sell anything with a real profit margin the police and other dealers take it way too seriously for my delicate nerves.
  • Options
    I never tried cuttings at all, and I never even had proper lights.

I had a very unsophisticated rig of ordinary tube lights and some plants in a propogator, it worked fine for me.

This was years ago though when I smoked loads and could justify producing. Now if I did I would end up with far too much stuff and my small dips into the world of puff dealing have always been FAR too much hassle to be bothered with. There is next to no real profit and its never even a quick sale.

But then if you sell anything with a real profit margin the police and other dealers take it way too seriously for my delicate nerves.

I know *exactly* what ya sayin man..
  • Options
    i've grown for years and no ...i have never managed to clone the little shits either.
    yes you can grow some very nice ...very very nice weed in the uk outdoors. last summer was brill.
    when the plants get to around 2ft high ...nip out the top leaves ...this will make it grow very bushy and strong.
    and guess what ...leaf is very giggly as opposed to bud being very strong.
    i know people who harvest the bud and chuck the rest ...idiots!
  • Options
    When I grew I always used to smoke the small tips of the leaves. If you have strong plants the smaller tips of the leaves get crystals on them even before the budding stage.

Rolly, your totally right, its stupid to just let your plant grow up and up, small and bushy is the way to go.
  • Options
    sod smoking leaf matter, its got next to no THC.
    I chuck my trim into bubble bags and make hash with it.
    To be honest with you Cheese On Toast, i wouldnt bother mate. You need to invest at LEAST £200 to get a setup - and that a small setup using compact flurorescents, soil etc.
    Id also advise you away from using hyroponics first time. theres too much that can go wrong.

I set up a new stealth grow a while back in a 3 ft cupboard, and the extraction fans and units, lights, growing medium, seeds, reflective material, timers, nutrients etc set me back £300. And thats a small setup.

If your just after a quick harvest for the summer its too late really, and to get any amount of smokable buds youve got to give it TLC and look after it every single day.

Oh and about cuttings.
    Its easy if you get a good rooting compound, read up on it on the web, all it takes is TLC people!
    The problem is with weed and growing is that everyone wants results NOW. The most important, by a long way when your growing weed is patience. If you're trying to grow on a timescale, and rushing the grow it will not work, period.
  • Options
    As a sociology student i have to ask the question (of people who have some legal knowledge) how would the law view a small grow unit or a few plants within the context of 'My client's cultivation was for purely personal use motivated by a desire not to support a more serious criminal economy' ? (the age old idea behind legalising the stuff :) )

I dont smoke at the moment but i might like to in the summer and to be honest i think it would be fun to grow a little plant (a freind of mine turned his cabin bed into a grow center, he sleeps on hemp! :D and also the top of his house smells like Morroco:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by RobS
    Oh and about cuttings.
    Its easy if you get a good rooting compound, read up on it on the web, all it takes is TLC people!
    The problem is with weed and growing is that everyone wants results NOW. The most important, by a long way when your growing weed is patience. If you're trying to grow on a timescale, and rushing the grow it will not work, period.

Easy? I have bought good rooting compounds and give the cutting loadsa lovin' ... what is your specific technique then?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Teagan, that's probably going to go in to a little more detail than strictly necessary on these boards......
  • Options
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    As a sociology student i have to ask the question (of people who have some legal knowledge) how would the law view a small grow unit or a few plants within the context of 'My client's cultivation was for purely personal use motivated by a desire not to support a more serious criminal economy' ? (the age old idea behind legalising the stuff :) )

Hmm, well I am certainly not in any way prepared to act as your legal counsel.

However, it is likely that you could get away with a caution or with community service for only a small number of plants. But even community service would stay on your record and you would have to disclose it under the rehabilitation of offenders act 1971 (it think, its early 1970's). And of course some jobs arent covered by this act and you would ALWAYS have to declare it.

However, it depends totally on the police investigation and the judge which you are sitting before. The law still has the right to punish you quite harshly, and by that I mean at least a few YEARS in jail.

But, in London and other major cities at least there is a de faco 'if I dont see it its not happening' policy. Therefore as long as you keep it well hidden they will not come looking for it, so the chances of detection are slight. But of course there is a big difference between a slight chance and no chance.

Personally I wouldnt go into it if your not a major smoker, even with a few plants you will probably end up with more than you can smoke. You will also find that you'll get nothing for 4 months and then loads. Obviously holding onto that 'loads' for the next four months puts you open to a possession with intent to supply charge which is a lot harder to shrug off.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RobS
    sod smoking leaf matter, its got next to no THC.

it makes an excellent filler as opposed to tobacco.
    plus ...good leaf can be very relaxing. even giggly. of course your not going to get shit faced ...believe it or not thats not what everyone wants all the time.
  • Options
    All the plant has THC in it except the seed, if you really wanted to you could dig up the roots, dry and smoke them. You would still get (potencially) the same effect.
  • Options
    yeah the 'if i cant see it its not there' approach seems to be the way it is round here.

I would like to grow (y'know just as a hobby as much as wanting a little weed) but i

1) would not be growing unless it was on my own property, as i live with my parents it is at the very least disrespectful and i wouldnt want to put them in the position of possible implication in my growing (i.e: letting it happen on their property):rolleyes:

and

2) would probably run out of time before uni (and to be honest i dont feel like turning up to a *ahem* major midlands institution with a load of South coast Sensimilia stashed in my flat:D

thanks for your 'informal and totally un-coucil like' oppinion on these legal matters :D :thumb:
  • Options
    When I grew I did it in my folks house, and now I know the law regarding that it was really rather nasty of me. As the home owners they are liable for my actions. But then I was a teenager and most teens arent really known for their caring nature towards their parents are they.
  • Options
    All the plant has THC in it except the seed, if you really wanted to you could dig up the roots, dry and smoke them. You would still get (potencially) the same effect.
    a few freinds grew some on the prison farm. huge polly tunnels and glass houses with salad stuff growing. managed half a dozen plants but did not allow them to grow beyond 18 inches high. bottle went and the plants were pulled. they had been growing for no more than around 14 weeks so had no chance of producing bud.
    about half an once in all if memory serves ...early 70's.
    the stuff was stashed for months ...simply cos where it was stashed could no longer be gotten to for a while.
    the smoke was very nice ...in fact it was VERY nice.
  • Options
    today in manchester. compressed leaf ...no more than £35 ounce.
    cuomes in a two and a half inch thick block. very compressed.
    leaf seeds the lot.
    what do ypu get for 35 quid?
    medicaly people think it's great.
    partying through the night people think it's shit.
    working in the office or sitting alone listening or thinking ...or coming here maybe ...introspective ...calming ...relaxing ...but bright.
    take the place of soap bar very soon me thinks ...and this stuff is clean ...made by hippys.
  • Options
    35quid an ounce ...max. now for something better than soapbar that can't be bad. it would seem someone has been saving or buying up the trimmings from bud growers ...compressing very tightly and mixing a little hash oil.
    soapbar smokers ...try this cleaner safer alternative when it arrives on a street corner near you.
  • Options
    yeah but how long before im smoking the contents of my dealer's spice rack as bulking agent? :D

still gotta be bette than crude oil and plastic bags.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    yeah but how long before im smoking the contents of my dealer's spice rack as bulking agent? :D

still gotta be bette than crude oil and plastic bags.
    if your dealer buys a kilo of this stuff ...bout £15 an ounce ...he won't be able to add to it as it is a very solid block.
    but i know what you mean ...theres always some little shit around who will disguise a bail of hay ...
  • Options
    Which is why licenced shops selling strictly controled stuff should be introduced. It wouldnt wipe out the black market but would increase quality.

Who wouldnt pay a little more to go to a licenced shop and pick out from a wide variety knowing all of it was good?
  • Options
    I know, if there was a list of different types of weed in shops here in the UK i wouldn't see any reason to go back to a dealer, well for more than weed only, but never for weed again, at least in the shop you would know exactly what it is.

mroll do you have a clearer picture of that compressed weed? I've seen some weed going around now at the moment that looks similar to that but i can't see the picture properly.
  • Options
    I know obviously some people are against the idea of full legalisation because they fear the ramifications of taxation.

But personally I think its the way forward.

You set up a licencing authority who decide given local situations who to give the licence to, where and how many.

Then a flat rate on turnover, not by wieght, would be taxed. The shops would be checked to make sure they were not selling anything else and that they were declaring everything. I believe that the licences would be wanted badly and any cheating would mean the loss of it, so people wouldnt very often if at all.

Supplying these shops is a tough one, it becomes a bit akward really. If you tell people to do the usual business invoice approach then it would put off smaller growers. But then a free for all would mean a loss in taxation from income.

And also there is the issue of hash, do you import it, and from where and how? There really arent many places you could buy it legally.

I am still of the view that the Dutch system isnt anywhere near perfect though.

Oh, and theres the issue of our international treaty obligations.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    mroll do you have a clearer picture of that compressed weed? I've seen some weed going around now at the moment that looks similar to that but i can't see the picture properly.
    i'll try and get a beter one.
    this stuff is letteraly leaf twigs seeds. very solid thick block slightly sticky and shiny smells very sweet.