Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

question borne of envy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, what do you guys like best about living in England? I've been a couple of times and loved it. I've always been jealous of my cousin, who has lived there 3 times, for extensive stretches (shortest about a year, longest about 5 years).
She says that what she likes best about England is that people seem much more cultured and a rich, refined history surrounds you everywhere. She also says that the people seem more subdued and graceful. In north america, people tend to come across as loud and 'spazy', for lack of a better term. :D I guess what I like best about Canada is that there is plenty of room to roam, and people are very friendly, open-hearted: or maybe "young at heart" is a better way to put it. Canadians like to have fun! You haven't lived until you've been to a Canadian bush party!:naughty:

So, any takers???

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: question borne of envy
    Originally posted by PositivePain
    In north america, people tend to come across as loud and 'spazy', for lack of a better term. :D

Yea, I guess I am A BIT loud :razz:
    the only real plus points for england are that my family are here, i get free medical care, and i know it well.

it it wasn't for that, i would move. it's expensive, the weather's crap, the people are idiots, most of the places are nothing to write home about (there are some pretty sights) and we are getting all americanised, which is crap.
    I also like the free healthcare, and I like the fact that there arent really any dangerous or poisonous creatures to worry about.
    I hate the fact that its so crowded, In this part of the country you cant really get away from other people for any length of time, although thats not true of all of Britain.
    I do like England, even though the weather can be a little shit at times, free health cares good, law can be a bitch at times: especially with "political correctness" making any racism, (which, from my travels I haven't really come by) worse.

I do like the fact that England is so multiculture, but I don't like the fact that we look like we're up America's arses atm. Bush is gonna get us nuked i swear (probs by friendly fire aswell)

England does seem more expensive than most other places, but I don't think we're struggling to survive like most other countries so the prices can only counter what money we have.

But yea, apart from all that moaning (which probs makes me seem like i hate living here lol) England seems to be a great country and I feel privellaged to live here. About the only places I think I would consider living in instead (except other countries in Britain) are Australia and maybe Spain.
    The only reason im still here an not in some better place is cos of my friends and family.
    Its to crowed, people arnt nice and if they are its few and far between, its loud, its expensive, its dangerous.
    I hate it here, but im to young and have no money to move so im stuck.
    Originally posted by Zella
    The only reason im still here an not in some better place is cos of my friends and family.
    Its to crowed, people arnt nice and if they are its few and far between, its loud, its expensive, its dangerous.
    I hate it here, but im to young and have no money to move so im stuck.

I think though, that the south and north of England are very different, and you live in London don't you?

I guess I don't know what living in the south is like and it could be much more different: crowded etc. and I know for a fact its more expensive than up here.

Where I live its great because if i walk a mile away I'm in the town centre, where I can get anything basically. I can get the train to manchester or liverpool for 30 mins and I'm in big city centres which have everything in! Or if I walk a mile the other way form my house I'm in the countryside, which is peaceful and has playing fields, fishing places, golf courses etc. etc. I feel like we have the best of both worlds in my area:D

Another thing I missed from what I like about England is the variety in sport where I live, I think the south/Manchester/Liverpool is more football dominated than Wigan but here we have rugby league, rugby union, hockey, basically loads of different sports aswell as football where in places like Liverpool every lad seems plays football and only football - no variety
    well i feel sorry for the people who are living in a country they dislike! i live in manchester and leeds and love it :D the city centre, big and vibrant especially at night. i like the people, i find most really friendly! the shops, the bars, the clubs, the food! and the countryside and historical things which i like to appreciate now and again :p
    Oh, a lot of people have been quite negative :(

Well, I love living here! We have so much history, and beautiful places can be found everywhere, from some amazing countryside (including but not limited to the stunning lake district), to the fantastic architecture to be found in some of our large cities :D
    Most people aren't too bad, although I find that quite a strange idea that everyone in one particular country might be the same :confused: I guess it is so diverse in England that not everyone's the same, which I think makes life far more interesting :)
    Being aracnophobic, I am incredibly glad that we don't have any particularly nasty/poisonous/dangerous creatures here, and that even though we all moan about the weather, we don't have many adverse weather conditions(in a really devastating way) such as hurricanes, blizzards, earthquakes, flooding (I'm talking on a Bangladesh scale here) etc etc...

I have to say that there is nowhere on Earth I'd rather live, I love England! :D

Ah yes, forgot to mention the food... I think we have great food available here, and there are things we just wouldn't be able to get in other countries :yum:
    Well I live in Wales, though I was born in England.

I like being Welsh because it's a certain kind of identity.
    Also the Weather is great because you get all kinds and real defined seasons. Canada is the same really isn't it? You get really bad weather too?

I am glad of the NHS and the freedom to hold different opinions. The TV can be good and the BBC makes quality investigative documentary and doesn't have adverts!
    The music is ok, but it's in a language I understand so perhaps thats why I like it.

We have Glastonbury festival and loads of culture and History.

On the minus side the increasing racism and prejudice against foreigners gets me down.
    Re: Re: question borne of envy
    Originally posted by Blnde_BombShell
    Yea, I guess I am A BIT loud :razz:

Here where I live in Canada (the prairies) we have a joke that we're loud because we have to shout at each other across great distances.:D
    the best thing about living in england?....................................................................

...........................not living there, yeah!!!! :lol:
    ps its a joke before i get shouted at!
    He he he he!! You know we charge the English to come into Wales!!
    The view from my window right now.

Sheeps and lambs, and the sun shining against a great big fell. If I was anywhere else I would miss the countryside, the Yorkshire Dales, North Yorkshire Moors and the Lake District are some of the most beautiful places on earth.

Though, having said that, if I could kill all the fucking tourists I would be a lot happier. Especially American tourists, who seem to think this place is some sort of Ye Olde England Theme Park. Cunts that they are :Mad:
    Originally posted by byny
    Also the Weather is great because you get all kinds and real defined seasons. Canada is the same really isn't it? You get really bad weather too?

Dear God, the weather. I Live in the northern prairies, which has some of the most extreme weather in the world. In the winter, we have temperatures that reach -45 degrees celsius. I think the record is somewhere around -56 in this area. In the summer, it gets hot by just as many degrees above zero. That's why we don't have very high rates of violence around here. We're all either holed up in our dwellings, trying our best not to die of frost-bitten hypothermia, or we've reached the point of listless immobility, praying to god for an air-conditioned mall or for an ice cream truck to go by!! :lol: