Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

May Day

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Every year I go to the May Day demonstrations but this year I am in a strange land.

Where do they start in London?

Muchas thank yous and Happy May Day...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Here you go Xico, enjoy.

http://www.resist.org.uk/reports/archive/mayday2004/index.php

I should look harder before asking next time... :rolleyes:
    How about getting a job instead?
    How about getting an original cuss?
    Most people I know involved in Mayday do have jobs.
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    How about getting an original cuss?
    Most people I know involved in Mayday do have jobs.

Well this one doesn't so there.
    The "how about getting a job" comment was rather uncalled for wasn't it?
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I thought so, but then I also thought Blagsta dealt with it rather well.

Its just a shame there is a perception that only certain groups of people care enough about changing the way things work to go out and take action.
    But there will be a fair number of unemployable anarcho -types one sees around Hackney who attend any anti-State demo

I know of one who's a total fraud, looks the part, begs, but his folks are v. wealthy as he will be if he inherits their estate
    It's just my opinion on the matter, the fact that I think anarchists are either loony or just lazy.
    But there will be a fair number of people from many different backgrounds who attend as well. All I'm saying is just because you happen to know one fraud, it doesn't follow that all of the 'anarcho -types' are the same. I didn't realise Hackney was the UK centre of sedition......
    Ah...next Monday is May Day....um.....hopefully i wont have bricks thrown at me and things. I got roped into working in a perfectly good day of school.:(
    I've only been once to a May Day march. As Ladyjade says there are many groups representing many issues. Let's not forget that workers' right affect us all.

It is true that recently other issues have come to surface during these marches. I happen to agree with many (though not all) of the protests being made (against globalisation, for the environment, and so on).
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    (against globalisation

Why against globalisation?

Either way, ladymuck, you'd be happy to know that it's assholes from all of the political scale who celebrate May 1st.
    A Danish politician who you'd go hand in hand in regarding point of views, would also go and celebrate May 1st as he said that his anti-taxes and anti-immigrant policies where for the workers.
    Rightly enough, the social democrats here, have lost a lot of worker-votes to his far-right party.
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    But there will be a fair number of unemployable anarcho -types one sees around Hackney who attend any anti-State demo

Don't judge by appearances.

Oh no, you do don't you. :rolleyes:
    I know of one who's a total fraud, looks the part, begs, but his folks are v. wealthy as he will be if he inherits their estate

Yes, there are some wankers who live up to the stereotype, but these are the exception.
    But again, you love stereotypes don't you?
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Why against globalisation?

Shorthand for the so called "free" market economy, which in fact favours Western corporations and screws developing countries.
    Mayday as a protest is dying due to apathy and superior Met tactics in following and dispersing groups of middle-class malcontents, sorry I mean protestors

The Union march continues
    Originally posted by dantheman
    How about getting a job instead?

Was that a rethorical question? I'll answer anyway.

This is the first time I've been unemployed since I was a kid, I started work when I was 10, the youngest barman in Benidorm :D . This is also the first year I'm not studying, as I finished last year. I have just moved to London, and I'm not even asking for the benefits that I'm entitled to as a British Citizen, because I trust I'll get a job soon...

... but of course, none of that matters. You've made your mind up.

And even though I am not a worker at this moment, I do belong to the working class. And May Day is the International Day of the Working Class. This IS a day to be celebrated, a day of unification, not like Saint George's Day or El Día de la Hispanidad.

Many things are demanded on this day like peace, a better health system, education, transport... people that ask for these things for everyone, not just a few, are not arseholes as Jacq said. The arseholes are the ones that use this day to attack the working class for defending their rights (our obligations are shown the rest of the days).
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    it's assholes from all of the political scale who celebrate May 1st.
    It's just my opinion on the matter, the fact that I think anarchists are either loony or just lazy.

Do you know what anarquism is? Have you read any theory about it? I don't mean only what capitalists say about it.

Anarchy has been bashed a lot in the western capitalist culture up to the point that people use the word as synonim of chaos.

You might want to read something about it. Try Bakunin, he was the father of the theory. And some Prodhon as well. You could also read the Misery of Philosophy by Marx, wich is a strong critic of anarchism.

And once you have knowledge of what you are talking about then give an opinion, that is called a formed opinion. And it would be nice if you didn't just randomly insulted people that you don't understand. But maybe that is too much to ask.
    Mayday as a protest is dying due to apathy and superior Met tactics in following and dispersing groups of middle-class malcontents, sorry I mean protestors

Most organisers I know are working class.

Carry on with your pathetic stereotyping. Its what you do best.
    The Union march continues

There are strong links between the unions and the left. But not with the right. Funny that, you supposed champion of the working class.
    Basically, the BNP are scum. Anyone who supports them is scum.

Originally posted by Blagsta
    Most organisers I know are working class.

Carry on with your pathetic stereotyping. Its what you do best.

There are strong links between the unions and the left. But not with the right. Funny that, you supposed champion of the working class.

After reading there forums every now and then, i just had to register to comment on how much of a hypocrite you are, on one thread you you pull a blatant stereotype out of your ass, and then moan and cry when someone else says one.
    Bullshit. The BNP are a fascist racist party. Fascists and racists are scum. No stereotyping there.
    Originally posted by airdriefcfan
    After reading there forums every now and then, i just had to register to comment on how much of a hypocrite you are, on one thread you you pull a blatant stereotype out of your ass, and then moan and cry when someone else says one.

What a great start...
    Originally posted by airdriefcfan
    After reading there forums every now and then, i just had to register to comment on how much of a hypocrite you are.......

And I must comment that perhaps you would like to re-read the rules about personal remarks? That goes for the rest of you as well......
    I didn't think Dan would answer... :no:
    Originally posted by xicoperez
    Do you know what anarquism is? Have you read any theory about it? I don't mean only what capitalists say about it.

Anarchy has been bashed a lot in the western capitalist culture up to the point that people use the word as synonim of chaos.

You might want to read something about it. Try Bakunin, he was the father of the theory. And some Prodhon as well. You could also read the Misery of Philosophy by Marx, wich is a strong critic of anarchism.

And once you have knowledge of what you are talking about then give an opinion, that is called a formed opinion. And it would be nice if you didn't just randomly insulted people that you don't understand. But maybe that is too much to ask.

Sorry it was wrong to personally insult but actually I've read about it before and it's idea's strike me as far fetched and unworkable. Just because someone doesn't agree with you 'they don't know what they're talking about' maybe you've read loads more on it that I have, good for you.
    Sorry it was wrong to personally insult but actually I've read about it before and it's idea's strike me as far fetched and unworkable. Just because someone doesn't agree with you 'they don't know what they're talking about' maybe you've read loads more on it that I have, good for you.

Dan, I don't agree with it. I'm not an anarchist. But you said the same thing as so many others that have read nothing about it. That is why I gave you reference written by Anarchists and also written by Communists that are against Anarquism. And to read something about it by Capitalists all you have to do is pick up a dictionary.
    an·ar·chy
    n. pl. an·ar·chies

1. Absence of any form of political authority.
    2. Political disorder and confusion.
    3. Absence of any cohesive principle, such as a common standard or purpose.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

anarchy

1. Absence of government; the state of society where there is no law or supreme power; a state of lawlessness; political confusion.

Spread anarchy and terror all around. -- Cowper.

2. Hence, confusion or disorder, in general.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

anarchy

n : a state of lawlessness and disorder (usually resulting from a failure of government) [syn: lawlessness]

WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University
    Anarchy and anarchism are two different things.
    I did the Maypole this mayday and a festival...

But if I weren't there I'd have considered marching.