Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Financial help 2004/5

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
What are people doing/being advised to do at their school or college about student loans at the moment? The Student loans company firstly promised to have the online application system available by the start of April, then by the end of April, and it's still not up. Are you hanging on and waiting to do it online or are your school doing it in hard paper format? I'm fed up of waiting for the online service to start, I just want to fill the forms in and get them done!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    well i dont have a clue what my college are doing, half of the college seem to have been given forms to sort out and the deadline has passed the other half including me have been told nothing at all
  • Options
    my school got the paper forms. i had to return mine yesterday. cant you get copies by contacting your county council?
  • Options
    I've got a paper one on my desk waiting to go but my deadline (they vary) isn't til 28th May I think so I'll hold on til then to see if the online thing is up and running. Every single year we have to fill out the same long form but when it's online you'll be able to just update it and resubmit it which sounds much less time consuming in the long run.
  • Options
    got thier web address cause i dont actually know it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Gavman
    got thier web address cause i dont actually know it?

www.studentfinancedirect.co.uk

There you go :)
  • Options
    thank you :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Gavman
    well i dont have a clue what my college are doing, half of the college seem to have been given forms to sort out and the deadline has passed the other half including me have been told nothing at all

The deadline hasn't gone mate, it can't have if the online application system hasn't been put online yet! I contacted the SLC and they said it would be up end of April. Schools and colleges generally don't deal with this sort of stuff very well at all.
    Cheesy stick, I take it your school simply gave you a deadline of yesterday? The SLC deadline for new students is the start of June.
  • Options
    Wats it got to do with the school?
    The forms are filled out by you, my 2nd year application is already bein sent!

Bopz
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    Wats it got to do with the school?
    The forms are filled out by you, my 2nd year application is already bein sent!

Bopz

Returning students have to apply before new ones.

Also, an update on the student support website, announcing that the online system will now go online sometime in May. Brilliant. A piss up and a brewery anyone?
  • Options
    Popped into my local authority office and sorted it. Why hang around waiting for the website to happen?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Popped into my local authority office and sorted it. Why hang around waiting for the website to happen?

Because it was MEANT to be quicker and easier!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Museman
    Because it was MEANT to be quicker and easier!
    Yeah. Especially if you're going to have to apply again next year and the year after and maybe even the year after that. Saves filling out the same form loads of times right?!
  • Options
    The 2nd year and onwards forms are a lot easier and it's not THAT bad.

Bopz
  • Options
    You would be best off getting in touch with your LEA, and using the paper forms.

If you get caught in a backlog you will not get your money on time, and you will be waiting after the start of term to get your money advanced. This wil not be caught up during your first year, so you will always be short of cash at the beginning of each term.

I can't say I'm surprised, it always happens when people try and become all website-based. When UCAS tried it the other year it went tits-up, even though they had the sense to run both systems together for several years and gradually try and persuade more people to use it. IT always happens.