Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Life . . .

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Life . . . what and where is the point in it? Someone please tell me! I know this a long way off of being an original question. In fact this is way fucking off the radar for original questions and bang in the middle of cliché territory. I’m sure all or at least most of you have thought about it before, probably in sort of light hearted conversation with friends. But really . . . where the fuck is the point in it all?!?!

I mean does being a success or failure really matter? Do we really even have any idea of what success and failure are? When I think what the meaning of success is I see an executive with a nice car, nice home, couple of holidays a year, pretty wife, few kids etc bloody etc. Tell me what the fuck is so good about success? Is that what you strive for? Is that what I’m going to university for? I’m at university having the best few years of my life in order to bore myself shitless for the rest of it. At what point do we realise its bullshit? When we’re in a box office with a new computer that has some mildly amusing drivel of a screensaver running across the headache inducing monitor while we’re having our 15th fucking cigarette break of the morning pissed off because Bob down the hall got a nice new mahogany desk for his office instead of us? Will I become numb to the screams in my head that rail against the mind numbing boredom and monotony that life has somehow become? I wont be unhappy I just wont be happy? I’ll just be. Exist. I’ll just fucking be!

I’m far too young to be having a mid life crisis aren’t I? Shame, I’d fucking love a sports car.

We, in the western world, live to work. We spent thousands of years forced to toil and labour for a corrupt, wealthy, amoral, libertine aristocracy. We were bound by ties. Ties to home, to family, to life. We cast off those bonds and what do we do? What the fuck do we do? We chain ourselves up voluntarily on vague promises of social mobility. Someone says “American Dream” with a sneer on his lips and you don’t realise that he’s the devil. That he ‘collects’ sports cars! That anything he wants he gets because money isn’t an issue. Can you imagine money not being an issue or ‘collecting’ sports cars!!! I’d love too see the scouts badge you get for that! You can’t see the truth for the fucking lie that he is secretly taunting you with. “You can be anything you want.” And he knows only too well that these capitalist slogans are a modern religion. They’re the chains that we bind ourselves with voluntarily. Religion is no longer the tool of control it once was. The promise of heaven doesn’t inspire hard work, diligence and above all obedience the way it used to. So what replaces it? A fucking iPod! That’s what! A BMW, a computer, a leather sofa, a pool table, a hi fi!

Does it not seem that we’re lowering our demands? That our self value is rapidly depreciating. For fuck’s sake we used to expect paradise and the company of an omnipotent being for a life time of servitude!!!! Now we’ll quite happily whore away our lives for an x box!!!!

The fact is human life is becoming cheaper by the day. The supply outweighs the demand and the price is falling. I mean look at the 20th century. Think about the world wars. The tens of millions that died and what does it mean? It means so little. To anyone born long enough after the events its just stats on a page. How can you feel emotion for it when you can’t even comprehend the quantities involved? And how quickly do we forget the horrors and march straight into another conflict!

How much control do you think the average person exerts over the governing of their lives? I mean we live in a democracy but I didn’t count the fucking votes from the last election. I don’t know anyone who did! I just take it on faith that whoever’s doing the counting is being honourable about it. Lets face it we only have to look at America to see how naïve that assumption is. We are just marionettes and the same aristocracy that rules us before is still pulling the strings. They’ve got different names and faces. They didn’t get too power in the same way. They come from different families but their the same people. All they have to do is wave the opportunity of joining their ranks in front of our faces and we fall in line. And a few of us do raise our station but once we’ve joined them we’re no longer ‘us’ and ‘we’re’ because we’re ‘them’. They can’t lose. The world has been well and truly George Dubya’d! God they must be laughing. Maybe one day in the future when we finally not only realise that we let these people have their own way but actually do something about it they will turn round with a grin and a wink and shout ‘April Fools’.

But the thing is its irrelevant anyway. Its just a matter of principle. There really is no point. If a rich man is unhappy is he successful? If a poor man is happy is he successful? Is it possible to be just happy or unhappy? Don’t we all have at least moments of both no matter how infrequent one or the other might be? Its never black or white its just varying shades of grey. A very dull grey. And at the end of the day a president ends up in a whole in the ground or burnt to a cinder just the same as a tramp. And when all is said and done how big a difference does it make when you die? When someone dies young we talk about how much of a tragedy it is, how much they still had to live for and experience. But once your dead its immaterial anyway. Your hardly going have sleepless nights plagued by regret are you? Its just we have such a fear of the unknown (and death is about as unknown as you can get) that we place such importance on life. Really, how important is an individual amongst 4 billion? Very easily forgettable in the big picture.

Puts me in mind of a poem i read somewhere:

What is death but an escape from life?
Or life but an excuse for death?

So someone tell me . . . what the fuck is the point in it all.

Weird crazy rant over, woo-fucking-hoo. :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    was thinking something similar to be honest, we struggle struggle struggle through life, every single one of us and for what? not that i want to die any time soon. its a wonder! :confused:
    life is just a series of lessons and tests to help us become better people bafore we do on to a better place. the better place shines though sometimes in the way of a song or a book or in a persons actions. well, this is what i think anyway. you can't escape life, because it goes on..........it's a never ending circle, and you keep on coming back until you you reach enlightenment, or become at one with the earth..............i think :confused:
    my god, marxism or what?!? (no offence intended, i love the idea of marxism, i just have resigned to the fact that it will never work, and hence capitalist morality is the only way to exist)
    i wondered whether one could exit the rat race of society by enjoying the remainder of life as much as possible....
    sit at home, drink lots and lots, smoke, take lots of drugs and have wild sex all day and all night until you die... it may not be logical to some people but at least i'd certainly enjoy it...
    Re: Life . . .
    Originally posted by Jon_UK
    Life . . . what and where is the point in it? Someone please tell me! I know this a long way off of being an original question. In fact this is way fucking off the radar for original questions and bang in the middle of cliché territory. I’m sure all or at least most of you have thought about it before, probably in sort of light hearted conversation with friends. But really . . . where the fuck is the point in it all?!?!

I mean does being a success or failure really matter? Do we really even have any idea of what success and failure are? When I think what the meaning of success is I see an executive with a nice car, nice home, couple of holidays a year, pretty wife, few kids etc bloody etc. Tell me what the fuck is so good about success? Is that what you strive for? Is that what I’m going to university for? I’m at university having the best few years of my life in order to bore myself shitless for the rest of it. At what point do we realise its bullshit? When we’re in a box office with a new computer that has some mildly amusing drivel of a screensaver running across the headache inducing monitor while we’re having our 15th fucking cigarette break of the morning pissed off because Bob down the hall got a nice new mahogany desk for his office instead of us? Will I become numb to the screams in my head that rail against the mind numbing boredom and monotony that life has somehow become? I wont be unhappy I just wont be happy? I’ll just be. Exist. I’ll just fucking be!

I’m far too young to be having a mid life crisis aren’t I? Shame, I’d fucking love a sports car.

We, in the western world, live to work. We spent thousands of years forced to toil and labour for a corrupt, wealthy, amoral, libertine aristocracy. We were bound by ties. Ties to home, to family, to life. We cast off those bonds and what do we do? What the fuck do we do? We chain ourselves up voluntarily on vague promises of social mobility. Someone says “American Dream” with a sneer on his lips and you don’t realise that he’s the devil. That he ‘collects’ sports cars! That anything he wants he gets because money isn’t an issue. Can you imagine money not being an issue or ‘collecting’ sports cars!!! I’d love too see the scouts badge you get for that! You can’t see the truth for the fucking lie that he is secretly taunting you with. “You can be anything you want.” And he knows only too well that these capitalist slogans are a modern religion. They’re the chains that we bind ourselves with voluntarily. Religion is no longer the tool of control it once was. The promise of heaven doesn’t inspire hard work, diligence and above all obedience the way it used to. So what replaces it? A fucking iPod! That’s what! A BMW, a computer, a leather sofa, a pool table, a hi fi!

Does it not seem that we’re lowering our demands? That our self value is rapidly depreciating. For fuck’s sake we used to expect paradise and the company of an omnipotent being for a life time of servitude!!!! Now we’ll quite happily whore away our lives for an x box!!!!

The fact is human life is becoming cheaper by the day. The supply outweighs the demand and the price is falling. I mean look at the 20th century. Think about the world wars. The tens of millions that died and what does it mean? It means so little. To anyone born long enough after the events its just stats on a page. How can you feel emotion for it when you can’t even comprehend the quantities involved? And how quickly do we forget the horrors and march straight into another conflict!

How much control do you think the average person exerts over the governing of their lives? I mean we live in a democracy but I didn’t count the fucking votes from the last election. I don’t know anyone who did! I just take it on faith that whoever’s doing the counting is being honourable about it. Lets face it we only have to look at America to see how naïve that assumption is. We are just marionettes and the same aristocracy that rules us before is still pulling the strings. They’ve got different names and faces. They didn’t get too power in the same way. They come from different families but their the same people. All they have to do is wave the opportunity of joining their ranks in front of our faces and we fall in line. And a few of us do raise our station but once we’ve joined them we’re no longer ‘us’ and ‘we’re’ because we’re ‘them’. They can’t lose. The world has been well and truly George Dubya’d! God they must be laughing. Maybe one day in the future when we finally not only realise that we let these people have their own way but actually do something about it they will turn round with a grin and a wink and shout ‘April Fools’.

But the thing is its irrelevant anyway. Its just a matter of principle. There really is no point. If a rich man is unhappy is he successful? If a poor man is happy is he successful? Is it possible to be just happy or unhappy? Don’t we all have at least moments of both no matter how infrequent one or the other might be? Its never black or white its just varying shades of grey. A very dull grey. And at the end of the day a president ends up in a whole in the ground or burnt to a cinder just the same as a tramp. And when all is said and done how big a difference does it make when you die? When someone dies young we talk about how much of a tragedy it is, how much they still had to live for and experience. But once your dead its immaterial anyway. Your hardly going have sleepless nights plagued by regret are you? Its just we have such a fear of the unknown (and death is about as unknown as you can get) that we place such importance on life. Really, how important is an individual amongst 4 billion? Very easily forgettable in the big picture.

Puts me in mind of a poem i read somewhere:

What is death but an escape from life?
    Or life but an excuse for death?

So someone tell me . . . what the fuck is the point in it all.

Weird crazy rant over, woo-fucking-hoo. :(
    for fucks sake jon ...i read all of that ...spell bound!
    thanks for reminding me how bloody fortunate i have been in life ...life, that thing that can be so thrilling and chilling ...so light so dark.
    again thankyou for rminding me that life is a celebration ...
    i did make good decisions when younger.
    to be honest i used to think the exact same and your true but just don't take it too seriously, stick your middle finger up to life and do what makes you happy cos your minds only going to explode trying to figure out what its all about.
    Life is for living. It's not supposed to be a struggle. Sometimes it is but you've got to see it through. If people could just accept their lot in life they would be a lot happier. That doesn't mean you can't aspire to be something more but be happy with what you've got.

Work shouldn't be your life. It's merely how you finance it. So what if you're not the highest paid person ever. So what if other people look down on your career. Fuck them. It's your life. Who cares if some people consider you a failure. If your happy doing it, you're not.

As bad as this sounds you just have to let things go. Getting worked up about things you have no control over is pointless. Admittedly you'll never change the world, but what were your chances anyway?

*Idealist hippy mode off*
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    my god, marxism or what?!?

Actually no . . . although i can obviously see why you would think so.

That (not so) little rant has no relevence to my political views (which are completley undecided) at all. I'm just venting!

I'm just . . .fuck i don't know! I'm really angry, at nothing in particular. I'm in a fucking rage for no reason, i needed to vent and it was either that post of random shite or the wall was gonna get a punching. :banghead: My brain is in overdrive at the moment and i just need to let my thoughts go pouring out.

To be totally honest as wierd as i find it (life, that is) it doesn't annoy me that much really. As flawed as i think life is i really don't care, i intend to make the most of it as best i can.

Although my previous post has got something of a marxist view point its coming from an ideal rather than from any political practicality that i believe in.

As you can see from my signature i just read the beach and its been making me think a lot. The whole thing about ruining a paradise through the love of that paradise . . . i don't know its just makes everything seem so fucking futile. I'm not really much of an idealist but i'd still like to think its possible for there to be that kind of paradise on earth. Some deserted beach away from everything. Not that i think that i'd ever find it or that my name would be on the list if i did . . . its just a comforting thought. The idea that its impossible, that we'd ruin it just seems so . . . i was gonna say ironic but its not a strong enough word so i'll invent one . . . (d)ir(e)onic!
    My brain is in overdrive at the moment and i just need to let my thoughts go pouring out.

As flawed as i think life is
    . . . (d)ir(e)onic!
    normal ...your brain is working.
    might seem sometimes that it's working against ...YOU ...but thats how life goes. your learning. some people don't.
    ...and i don't see life as flawed ...only the creatures that are possesed by it ...inhabited by it ...given it ...
    i sincerely wish i had time to write an essay every time i was pissed off about something...
    instead, there's a conveniently marked out circle on the wall understage at school, with the words 'bang head here' written in the centre... it's most useful in a wide variety of situations, including breakups, depression, unfinished homework, lack of sugar and last minute changes to the lighting rig... perhaps you should try it?
    i wonder, there are many noticeably idealistic points that you have made, have you considered a discovery journey? i have a friend who decided to go... he didn't know where, he didn't know how long, all he knew was he was going to keep going until he got to where he belonged... he ended up back home after about three years, but the difference was he CHOSE to be there
    and this is, in my thought, the essence of a lot of people's complaints about life. if people were given a choice in what they did or didn't do, where they lived, things like this, they would be a lot happier in general, rather than moaning (and yes, i know you're not habitually depressed, i'm just generalising) about the sorry states of their lives....
    Re: Re: Life . . .

Shit . . . people replied before I finished mine. To the others that posted thanks but I’m not really that disillusioned, just restless and writing (typing) seems to help me get things off my chest.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    life, that thing that can be so thrilling and chilling ...so light so dark.

That I like! But I find it amazing how peoples background affects what they consider thrilling, chilling, light and dark. Generally when we think about those kind of things its when we’re analysing other people like, for example, I find the idea of suicide bombers very chilling. Imagine sacrificing everything because your faith is that strong. But is it or is that just my western upbringing speaking? Aside from the act itself don’t you think it might be nice to have that kind of faith? To be that sure of something that you couldn’t see or feel or touch? Even if it is just brainwashing – does it really matter? Does it? If you don’t know its brainwashing then does it matter? I’m sure people will tell me that it does but if your oblivious to it then I think you’d be happy. Probably a lot happier than the executive from my rant in the first post.

I find it chilling that someone could consider spending their lives working in an office (which is something I will never do) but if their happy with it then its not important what I think is it?

I wonder what would happen if we could really look at ourselves. An outside view, not just from someone else’s perspective I mean inner thoughts and all. How chilling might we find ourselves?
    i wonder, there are many noticeably idealistic points that you have made, have you considered a discovery journey? i have a friend who decided to go... he didn't know where, he didn't know how long, all he knew was he was going to keep going until he got to where he belonged... he ended up back home after about three years, but the difference was he CHOSE to be there
    and this is, in my thought, the essence of a lot of people's complaints about life.

Actually I’m pretty damn happy at the moment. There are a few things that get me down but unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about those things. Of the things I could change I’m not sure there is anything that I would.

By the way this whole thing isn’t out of any unhappiness on my part. As I said its just thoughts going through my head. My thoughts aren’t very coherent and I’m from London so I don’t speak very well :rolleyes: but I’m fairly good at writing so its just easier to put it all on paper than to try talking to someone else or to attempt to come to conclusions in my head.
    Re: Re: Re: Life . . .
    Shit . . . people replied before I finished mine. To the others that posted thanks but I’m not really that disillusioned, just restless and writing (typing) seems to help me get things off my chest.

That I like! But I find it amazing how peoples background affects what they consider thrilling, chilling, light and dark. Generally when we think about those kind of things its when we’re analysing other people like, for example, I find the idea of suicide bombers very chilling. Imagine sacrificing everything because your faith is that strong. But is it or is that just my western upbringing speaking? Aside from the act itself don’t you think it might be nice to have that kind of faith? To be that sure of something that you couldn’t see or feel or touch? Even if it is just brainwashing – does it really matter? Does it? If you don’t know its brainwashing then does it matter? I’m sure people will tell me that it does but if your oblivious to it then I think you’d be happy. Probably a lot happier than the executive from my rant in the first post.

I find it chilling that someone could consider spending their lives working in an office (which is something I will never do) but if their happy with it then its not important what I think is it?

I wonder what would happen if we could really look at ourselves. An outside view, not just from someone else’s perspective I mean inner thoughts and all. How chilling might we find ourselves?
    jon ...you are in a quandry aren't you.
    suicide bombers ...try to think about you ...yes i know ...that is exactly what your doing. where do i ...why do i ...what the fucks happening....
    try and go with the flow ...read ...study ...but continue pondering ...continue being driven mad by these thoughts but ...try to accept that you are actualy on a journey of self dicovery all ready ...something you seem to be yearning for whciyou already have ...you know i'm right.
    stick with it ...as uncomfortable as it may be ...and you don't realy have any choice ...ride it ...learn about you. then ...you may well come back here and answer your own question with wise words.
    Not sure I want the answers (if there are any), I like the suprises, I don't want to be dissapointed but most of all I like asking the question.
    Not sure I want the answers (if there are any), I like the suprises, I don't want to be dissapointed but most of all I like asking the question.
    you need your spirit firing up.
    i wonder what it will be that fires it up?
    hopefully something you need more than something you may think you want.
    what we need is very often the last thing we want or could do with right now but ...thats the journey.
    you come to believe and you come to unbelieve those very things once cherrished.
    it's a strange journey.
    i was frightened to death of ending up ...well ...as you stated at the begining of this thread.
    at the end of the day where am i in my old age?
    grandchildren who sit on my knee and listen to tales of piracy and debauchery ....i do know where to draw the boundaries but still get in trouble ... i smile and laugh. i build and create.
    i love and am loved ...lifes good.
    Just go with the flow and fuck it all, don't think about it too much.
    Read some Alan Watts...'this is it' is a good one to start with!

Where I was brought up as a kid (In Ireland) there lives a man of 82. All his life he has farmed the land he owns the only change being getting rid of his sheep and buying a load of cows. Everyday he gets up, checks the cows, walks his fields, checks his fences. On a tuesday he would share a bottle of wiskey with my dad, on a sunday he would go to the pub.
    In his whole life he has only been out of his village once and that was to go to Dublin.
    When someone asked him if he ever wished he'd travelled he took a breath, spread his arms and looked down from the hill they were on...

'Now why on earth would I want to go anywhere when I have all this' he said.
    my god, marxism or what?!?

actually i'd say it was more existentialism. read some sartre. catcher in the rye by JD Slainger is a good one to read about where life is going. God i love that book. i think a lot of people are asking these questions at the moment. i don't think that its an early mid-life crisis more like a mid-LIFE crisis, if you get me. Mid-LIFE as in from the beginning to the end of time. Somethings got to change soon in the Western World. i think recession and a revolution will do it well. I want to be the leader of the uprising. Only thing is will it be right or left wing. Communism or Fascism? Communism is my utopia. No countries, no currency, no corruption. That is what i strive for. i don't strive for myself, i strive for my world. (wow how cheesey does that sound)
    Originally posted by Super-human
    read some sartre. catcher in the rye by JD Slainger is a good one to read about where life is going. God i love that book.[/B]

i think i heard that every serial killer that has been convicted in the united kingdom has read catcher in the rye...
    There is no point in life thats a fact. We live, succed/fail, then we die nothing to it all our life ambitions and successes would have gone to waste.