Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Updating old films

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
There are rumours flying about that George Lucas is updating the original Star Wars trilogy. Again. Apparently he's going to add flashbacks from the new films to the old ones and update some effects. (See the attachment.)

So I was just wondering peoples views on this. I think it's great if the films are subtley improved with better effects or maybe reinstating a couple of deleted scenes. I don't like the kind of thing that Steven Spielberg was going to do/ did to ET or the flash back idea.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'll cry if he does. I will. :crying:

Original trilogy out on DVD in September! Yaaaaaay! :D
    Originally posted by piccolo
    I'll cry if he does. I will. :crying:

Original trilogy out on DVD in September! Yaaaaaay! :D

It's the special editions which are being released I'm afraid. The ones where they added Greebo shooting at Han in the cantina to make him more of a straight up hero :rolleyes: .
    Originally posted by Infinite
    It's the special editions which are being released I'm afraid. The ones where they added Greebo shooting at Han in the cantina to make him more of a straight up hero :rolleyes: .
    That sucks. Still going to buy it tho!
    I'll just have to console myself with my laserdiscs of the original releases - hah! fire first Han
    The special editions aren't all that bad. I can live with the updated effects and what not. It's just that bloody extra shot from Greebo. It makes Han too good if you get what I mean. Oh and I could do without the extra ewoks in Return of the Jedi.
    It's just that bloody extra shot from Greebo.

And the the scene with Jabba, the extended scence with Biggs, etc..., etc...

Why not give the fans the option? They can buy the normal untouched version, the special edition version or now this special edition version Mk II. Or stick all three options on the disc?
    More and more I start to wonder if George Lucas was just lucky to make the original trilogy. I know he's credited with a lot of innovations but I am starting to think it was the people he surrounded himself with who did the work. The Empire Strikes Back, the film he had the least to do with, is the best. Coincidence?

The man is clearly a menace!
    The man is clearly a menace!

not THE Phantom Menace :p

I think he's a perfectionist. He's gone/going back to these movies and touching them up to be the complete article that he wanted to do 20 years ago but because of cash restraints and technology boundaries he couldn't.

But is he going to go back to them again in another 20 years when technology has leapt to another new level?
    Sorry to bring this back from the dead but there was no point in starting a new thread. It's been confirmed that the Star Wars dvds won't be the 1997 special editions. They're going to be NEW special editions. Go here and scroll down a bit.
    I reckon it's all about making money.

The new star wars films are rubbish, they don't even compare to the original 3.
    I don't understand how people complain about the Episode 1-3 not being as good as the original trilogy (episodes 4-6). I mean, it's all part of the same story, it's completing the tale, telling it right from the start.
    I actually like most of the extra bits they added into the revamped Episodes 4-6. I think they enhance the films, and help improve on the vision that Star Wars is. Making it into the film it should've been right from the start.

Mind you, it does bug me the way they try to milk it for every damned penny they can.
    If I buy any special edition, then it'll be the one they're bound to bring out once Episode III has been made, and when they make a set of all six films.
    I didn't think Episode one was nearly as bad as it was made out to be, Jar Jar aside. Episode two was actually quite good except for the love story bit. George Lucas just can't write decent dialogue. At some points it got a bit embarressing.

I think he would have been far better to hand the story over to an accomplished script writer. Or at least have co-written the films with one. That way it would still be his vision.

As I said in an earlier post, I'm glad the effects and whatnot are being updated. The only added bit I have a problem with is that extra shot from Greebo. It made Han far too much of a goodie.