Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gmail

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got offered an account because i use Blogger and wondered if anyone else has and what you thought?

They sum up the differences here:http://www.google.com/gmail/help/start.html

I like it thus far,

the way 'conversations' are grouped together is definitely great as are the way you can apply any number of labels to an e-mail, it just seems less cluttered then hotmail aswell.

i'm not complaining about the 1000MB limit either!

Comments

• Options
    :) sounds good only problem is it's not finished!
  • Options
    I'm not sure where I read this but there were some potential problems with their email... for one, you couldn't easily delete old emails. And the second that I remember was that the gmail scanned your incoming and outgoing email for key words and then sent you advertisements (spam) based on what your conversations were about.
    Now, maybe they've gotten rid of this but the idea of my emails being scanned by some system kindof freaks me out. However, the bigger size of storage would be sooo nice.
  • Options
    yeah in exchange for scanning your mail they give you the larger space, so if u didnt want the scanning u wouldnt be allowed the extra space
  • Options
    but it's just like hotmail scanning your mail for spam or an anti-virus programme scanning your e-mail isn't it?

And from what i've seen the ads are relatively small anyway, it's worth it in my opinion,

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4707
  • Options
    But there must be some type of list of which words that you've sent/received that will be kept somewhere. When hotmail scans for viruses that doesn't happen.

I did glance through that article though buzz and it did make me like the idea of it more than I had. I'll probably come around to it pretty quickly.
  • Options
    i want one
  • Options
    I reckon it sounds like a great idea. 1 GB of space. If you've got a broadband connection, then it'd be like using any PC based email system, except you could acess it from anywhere in the world. :thumb: If it's true about scanning for key words, then it's a small price to pay for the convenience and storage space.
    And that's a huge amount of storage. After almost four years, I've only just got over 700 MB of emails on my PC, and that includes a hell of a lot of photos, and video clips, that people have sent me over the years.
    The only thing I delete permenantly are the spam emails. So that 1 GB of space that gmail offers would last forever (seemingly).
  • Options
    Originally posted by carolina_girl
    But there must be some type of list of which words that you've sent/received that will be kept somewhere. When hotmail scans for viruses that doesn't happen.

I did glance through that article though buzz and it did make me like the idea of it more than I had. I'll probably come around to it pretty quickly.

I don't know honestly but Google will only scan it once surely and then put ads they think relelvant. I wouldn't imagine they keep a list of of words i've sent or recieved, so i don't see it being different to a virus scan. It's only another computer going through my e-mails.
  • Options
    White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    Originally posted by buzz
    http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4707

is it just me or did anyone else find that article really interesting? :eek2:

i'm really starting to like google. there fresh and intelligent approach of using information retrieval is spot on

love the whole gmail idea. gonna see if i can get me richard@gmail.com. thats if it isn't taken aleady ......
  • Options
    Damn, i want a GMail account.....1 gig of space...*drools*