Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The May 1st enlargement of the EU

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There is only two days before the EU gains ten new members.

Is it a good thing?

What do you think would be the impact to the EU and to the Britain having ten new members?

Comments

• Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    how ever they will do the horrible jobs for us

Like nursing, doctors...
  • Options
    I see it as a positive thing.

I am looking forward to the day where the borders will be as free as they are in the states.
    For now, I can only see advantages with the EU. For example it'll give me the chance to study in the UK without paying the astronomic prices that students outside of the EU pay (if they accept me that is :nervous: ).

The EU has a lot of faults, especially with how we tax goods from outside (especially products from low-income countries) - but we can work towards making it better, and better-functioning.
  • Options
    It all favours Big Business, Tesco are expanding in Poland, will no doubt wipe out local shops. A large influx of new people into Uk is again good for UK business' wage bills and will receive the hearty endorsement of the CBI and Nulabour who have their nose in many a trough.

i expect UK will pay towards improving the ramshackle infrastructure of these countries so tax revenues must rise

We in UK can travel freely in these countries, like Wow!
  • Options
    not just travel freely but work freely. I quite like the idea of working in the Baltics.
  • Options
    I do think it's a good thing for linking them with the rest of Europe to create peace you know. It's a bad thing in a way because of mass immigration I'm taking about them who rob us from our benefits.

And you wonder why people criticise you for taking the S*n too seriously?

On mass immigration.....

The predicted effect by demographers and people whoactually know about these things will be quite small, just wait and see, there won't be that many.

Poland is predicted to receive net immigration by the end of the decade!

On benefits........

If you had been paying attention you would know that the benfits that the new EU citizens can claim in this country are severely restricted.......

Oh Dear.
  • Options
    I doubt if many would want to work for the forseeable future in E. Bloc countries unless they want to work for v. low wages.

It's why immigrants are coming here
  • Options
    But the business opportunities in the new EU countries are superior to those that exist in the west, possibility of far higher returns.

Also they now form a new boundary with the very East of Europe and will receive immigration from there........
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    I doubt if many would want to work for the forseeable future in E. Bloc countries unless they want to work for v. low wages.

It's why immigrants are coming here

Lower vages, with a higher living standard. My social studies teacher's son got an economics degree from Copenhagen. And applied for a job in Estonia. There he has become the financial director of a big Estonian company, and has a position in a trading organisation.
    At the age of 28 he has (from what she tells) property, car, position and a great CV, for when he would want to wish to move on.

He would never be able to gain that here, within such a short amount of time.
  • Options
    Exactumundo, Jacq.......
  • Options
    As many a refugee has said sarcastically over the years (and now repeated by that Iranian stand-up comedian): "You know, back [home] I was a doctor/engineer/whatever, but I dropped it all to come to Britain because my long-life dream was to work in a chip shop in England." :rolleyes:
  • Options
    He would never be able to gain that here, within such a short amount of time.

it might be a plus for some younger people , not much to most of UK populace, chicken-feed wages pay not a mortgage in UK
  • Options
    Nor are the vast majority of East Europeans going to come to the West though........
  • Options
    not wanting to turn this into a housing thread but UK wages don't exactly pay morgages here either.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    it might be a plus for some younger people , not much to most of UK populace, chicken-feed wages pay not a mortgage in UK

Well if you live there, then you're probably gonna be living according to their mortgage/rent whatever.
    Which is very affordable when you're from the west.
  • Options
    Depends what and where you want.

Fact is that housing here is very good.

And obviously someone must be able and willing to pay else the prices wouldn't be that high.........

UK wages are some of the best in the world, thats the basics.......
  • Options
    a bad thing in a way because of mass immigration I'm taking about them who rob us from our benefits.

Who? For fucks sake man, stop making wild assertions with no basis in fact. Who are "them" that will "rob us from our benefits"?
    :confused:
    Have you ever tried living on benefits? It ain't no picnic, I can tell you.
  • Options
    ....who rob us from our benefits.

What about people who have high-earning jobs and would rather their money was going to a genuine asylum seeker than on a British lay-about?
    you carry on beliueveibng that 100% of people who enter this country want to work.

And maybe you can stop believing that 95% of asylum seekers are bogus?
  • Options
    I do think it's a good thing for linking them with the rest of Europe to create peace you know. It's a bad thing in a way because of mass immigration I'm taking about them who rob us from our benefits.
    But Europe better watch out as most of these new countries are pro american and won't like France and germany thinking they acn run the place.

Britian will gain and loose. We will have too many immigrants i.e results to more BNP how ever they will do the horrible jobs for us and fill up trade work.
    Fact 1: Tony Blair has said that people coming from the new EU countries will have to work, and will not be allowed to come here to claim banefits.

Fact 2: Jack McConnell has been crying out for immigrants to come to Scotland to halt our population decline and stop the "demographic timebomb".

So where's the problem?

On the plus side, these countries will benefit hugely from EU membership, and British companies will benefit from exports to these areas.
  • Options
  • Options
    The 1st of May. What a beautiful date to expand my family. Ten new countries of hard working citizens will join us in this great Europen Project.

*clap clap clap clap*
  • Options
    you carry on beliueveibng that 100% of people who enter this country want to work.

I have never said that 100% of people do. But I think the vast majority do. We already have rules around benefits where people get benefits cut if they refuse to work. This will equally apply to immigrants. So what's the problem?
  • Options
    rules are often broke you know?

yeah intodays sun, figures show that we let in 700,000 Eastern Europeans last year, Shocking!!!! and no the sun hasn't made it up they are real figures and migration watch has agreed with them too.

Even if the figures are that high, Britain needs migrant workers in order to sustain an increasingly elderly population.

Personally I have no quarrals with the new countries entering the EU.
  • Options
    rules are often broke you know?

Benefit rules are rigourously enforced.
    yeah intodays sun, figures show that we let in 700,000 Eastern Europeans last year, Shocking!!!! and no the sun hasn't made it up they are real figures and migration watch has agreed with them too.

The Sun and Migration Watch are not credible sources.
    Try again.
  • Options
    A good source would the Home Office, the UN or the Refugee Council.
  • Options
    *bangs head against wall*

Are you really as thick as you make out? Or is it an act?
    I'm intrigued, really. :confused:
  • Options
    explain why Iam thick?

Because I'm French... :eek2:
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I said play nice!

*gets whip out*
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    *gets whip out*

*gets excited* :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jim V
    not just travel freely but work freely. I quite like the idea of working in the Baltics.

I would love to! I am going to travel all over Europe. :)
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    *gets excited* :D

:no: