Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

BNP Supporting Teacher Suspended

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    if he is a teacher, why does he want to run for European government.
    Why shouldn't he? People from all sorts of backgrounds stand for election, from farmers to solicitors. Of course, he would have to quit his job if he won.
  • Options
    How can a teacher treat a black kid the same, have the same pacience with him when he can't do an ecuation (sp?), if he thinks he is inferior? His beliefs (and militance) does or will affect his teaching in the long run.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    nothing gets said in the class room.

How do you know?

And even of it doesn't, he is still publicly espousing racist views. How can this be reconciled with teaching everyone equally?
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    everyone is entilted to their opinion aint they?

Yes. In private. But in this case, he is publicly known as a racist. How can he be expected to teach in a fair manner when this is known?
  • Options
    Re: BNP Supporting Teacher Suspended
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

1. Was the school right to suspend the teacher?

No they should not have suspended. He is a qualified teacher, not sure how long he has been teaching but his work was good enough before so I think he should fight to be reinstated.
    They added that they had no complaints about the standard or his work, and that he had never brought politics into the classroom.
    Surely if his standard of work was fine and he never brought politics into the classroom then he should be able to go for unfair dismissal ? I know I would fight it all the way.
  • Options
    Surely there is a conflict of interests? Can a man who believes in the superiority of the white race and who would like non-whites to be kicked out of Britain be expected to give fair treatment and ratings to children of ethnic minorities in his class?

In any other industry such conflict of interests would deem the person’s position unattainable. I perfectly understand the school for suspending him.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Surely there is a conflict of interests? Can a man who believes in the superiority of the white race and who would like non-whites to be kicked out of Britain be expected to give fair treatment and ratings to children of ethnic minorities in his class?

He hadnt had any complaints before this so then surely his teaching methods must have been ok and he didnt bring his political views to the classroom.
    Sorry but i cant see me changing my mind on this topic, he was unfairly dismissed in my opinion and should fight them all the way.
  • Options
    Let me put it this way: if we were talking about a teacher who was found out to masturbate to children's clothes catalogues but who had never molested a child or otherwise broken the law, would you still protest if he was suspended?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Let me put it this way: if we were talking about a teacher who was found out to masturbate to children's clothes catalogues but who had never molested a child or otherwise broken the law, would you still protest if he was suspended?

Oh come on, thats really not the same is it.

I'm with Kermit on this one, unless his work is being effected and the school themselves said it was NOT, then there is no grounds for him to be suspended.
  • Options
    Suspensions/resignations for 'conflict of interests' are extremely common and accepted within the workforce. Even if there is no evidence of any wrongdoing whatsoever.

And unless every single one of the children in his class were white and British, there is certainly a conflict of interests when a BNP candidate is also a teacher of black/Asian/immigrant children.
  • Options
    And unless every single one of the children in his class were white and British, there is certainly a conflict of interests when a BNP candidate is also a teacher of black/Asian/immigrant children.

Not so, it depends on the professionalism he employs in the work-place
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    Not so, it depends on the professionalism he employs in the work-place

Bullshit. He is publicly espousing racist views. That makes him unfit to do his job.

End of.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I'm with Kermit on this one, unless his work is being effected and the school themselves said it was NOT, then there is no grounds for him to be suspended.

I didn't say that.

It's a very fine balance, as always. I understand the viewpoint that if he is prepared to stand for a fascist party then he could be unfit to teach children, I would just add one point. If he now feels strongly enough to run as a BNP candidate, he has obviously felt that way for a long time; there were no allegations of racism or of poor-quality work before, so to argue that he would now be racist because he's a BNP candidate is definitely misguided. If he had kept his opinions to himself he would still have them; that, aghain, doesn't impact on his ability to teach children fairly.

To use a poor anaology, I despise Leeds United. That doesn't mean I would teach a Leeds United supporter poorly, because I would leave that sentiment at the door. I would imagine that this teacher would.

My arguments are not about this teacher, but about the precedent it sets. Like it or not, the BNP are a bona fide political party, albeit an extremist one. Sacking someone for membership of a political party sets a dangerous precedent, even if, in this case, the party is a disgusting abberration on British politics.
  • Options
    Ok, well I can see what you mean Kermit, sorry, I didnt mean to misrepresent you, I didnt read it properly.

And of course there are definate arguements that if he is a racist then he could well be unfit to teach.

But then to ban him if his teaching is not effected just because you dont like the party, thats dangerous ground.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    It's a very fine balance, as always. I understand the viewpoint that if he is prepared to stand for a fascist party then he could be unfit to teach children, I would just add one point. If he now feels strongly enough to run as a BNP candidate, he has obviously felt that way for a long time; there were no allegations of racism or of poor-quality work before, so to argue that he would now be racist because he's a BNP candidate is definitely misguided. If he had kept his opinions to himself he would still have them; that, aghain, doesn't impact on his ability to teach children fairly.

I agree. If he kept his views to himself, then no problem. But the very fact of standing as a BNP candidate is making these views public and in fact trying to spread them. And that is in conflict with doing his job.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Bullshit. He is publicly espousing racist views. That makes him unfit to do his job.

End of.

Sorry what you have just written is bullshit. His employers have stated they had no complaint at his teaching ability and also he didnt take politic to the classroom.
    How can you say he is unfit to do his job ? thats going over the top tbh.
  • Options
    Read what I wrote again.
  • Options
    Read what I wrote again.

yeah I have, and ?

So here we might have a very good teacher who could help to get a child of yours good grades, he could be the making of them having a good education and you still say he's unfit to teach?

As long as he goes to school to teach children and does not debate his political view and does not show any favouratism to white children then let him be, he's doing no harm is he ?
    But having said that lets assume he seems to favour a white child he would be classed as racial, when in reality every class has a teachers pet and that teachers pet could be pink, black, orange or puple.
  • Options
    Read it again.

I have said that as long as views were private, there is no problem. His views are now no longer private and therefore there is a conflict of interests. How can he be expected to teach fairly and maintain classroom discipline when he is a known racist and bigot?
  • Options
    How can he be expected to teach fairly and maintain classroom discipline when he is a known racist and bigot?

The same way he has for how ever many years he has been teaching. Overnight he is not gonna turn into a racist bigot as you seem to think.
    You cant seem to grasp the point that before this came out he was a teacher who had taught pupils satisfactory and his political views did not get taken to the classroom, so why do you think that he should start now ?
  • Options
    Thats not the point. The point is that its now known that he holds racist views and his standing as BNP candidate is about promoting those views. This is in direct conflict with teaching children.

End of.
  • Options

End of.

No its not end off. His teaching views cannot just change overnight, he wont suddenly wake up tomorrow shouting abuse in the classroom......ffs
    Im not aggreeing with the BNP and wouldnt want to be connected in any shape or form but this fella is not getting a fair deal here in my opinion. Obviously if he started preaching his political views in the classroom or his teaching ability was unsatisfactory then that would be another matter, but as it stands at this current time his teaching is not making any child suffer.
    End of.
  • Options
    You still don't get it.
    Promoting racism (even if it is out of the classroom) is incompatible with treating all children in a fair and equitable manner. Even if his teaching style is fair, the fact that he is openly promoting a racist and homophobic party is going to affect how the children relate to him.

Full stop.
  • Options
    If we are talking about children here we must think that the teacher has some influence on the children. Teaching isn't only teaching maths, it's eductaing in all aspects. He might not show it in the classroom, but now the childen know that someone they must respect, someone in an important position is a racist. It is accetable to be a racist. This is not something children should be taught, it would be confusing, they'll find out that it IS accetable when they grow up. Acceptable, not right.

But if he is fired or not should not be decided by the school but by a higher educational organ after an investigation, and when the academic year is over.

And I have not read anything yet on the BNP page that makes me think they are racist. They look like a very nationalist party to me, nothing else.

And please stop all this end of, end off, full stop... you are not moderators.
  • Options
    They are a racist party, but they are hardly likely to state "we hate niggers and pakis" on their website are they?

And I can say end of if I like. Who are you to dictate what I can and can't say. You're not a moderator either.
  • Options
    They are a racist party, but they are hardly likely to state "we hate niggers and pakis" on their website are they?

And I can say end of if I like. Who are you to dictate what I can and can't say. You're not a moderator either.

Do you have any proof that the BNP are racist?

And I didn't dictate anything, I asked you and said please.

This is not a dictation either, it's a suggestion: Why don't you calm down? Breathe...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    End of
    Full stop

What's with these comments? Now the almight blagsta has spoken and put everone to rights, no more words shall be said in this disscussion? :p

I think he should be able to carry on. If there were no complaints about his teaching before than nothing is likely to change. He's only a bloody maths teacher anyway, so any political views are unlikey to be pickled up by the pupils.

Next we'll have Jewish teachers getting the boot because there are muslims in the school. :rolleyes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by xicoperez
    Do you have any proof that the BNP are racist?

And I didn't dictate anything, I asked you and said please.

This is not a dictation either, it's a suggestion: Why don't you calm down? Breathe...

I've been told so by a now disillusioned member.
  • Options
    I'll have to go to my local BNP and have a little chat...

That is always fun... :D
  • Options
    Even if his teaching style is fair, the fact that he is openly promoting a racist and homophobic party is going to affect how the children relate to him.

Links please to show me where this man has promoted racism.