Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

No more draws?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Blatter has suggested that games should not end in draws anymore. He would like to see them decided by penalties.

Personally I would love it, the excitement and the fact that it would stop teams from coming to OT to defend...

What do you think?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No way, it would just ruin it penalty shoot-outs if we had them all the time. We should keep the draw and one point.
    Originally posted by dantheman
    No way, it would just ruin it penalty shoot-outs if we had them all the time. We should keep the draw and one point.
    I agree it would ruin the game.

Penalties do not decide fairly who was the best team on the day. If it is a draw after 90mins then that can only be classed as a fair result. If a team goes to OT to defend a draw and Man U can't break them down within 90mins then they don't deserve to win IMO.

It would add excitement to the game but unfortunately it wouldn't be fair for the eventual winner to gain 3points. If the points system was changed then maybe it would be an option but with 3 points still given to the winner then it is a no go IMO.

Am I right in saying that in the past it used to be 2points for a win?? This was changed (i think) to 3points to give the added incentive of teams going for the win as there was more points at stake and therefore more points lost out on if the teams draw.
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss
    Penalties do not decide fairly who was the best team on the day. If it is a draw after 90mins then that can only be classed as a fair result. If a team goes to OT to defend a draw and Man U can't break them down within 90mins then they don't deserve to win IMO.

I think that it would be fair, because each team will have the opportunity to win the game still - and players will naturally practice penalties.

The downside is that a team can dominate a match, but lose on penalties - but then that can happen anyway with a "lucky" goal.

Really, I just think that it would encourage teams to attack more, rather than to just go for a draw. (see points comments...)
    It would add excitement to the game but unfortunately it wouldn't be fair for the eventual winner to gain 3points. If the points system was changed then maybe it would be an option but with 3 points still given to the winner then it is a no go IMO.

I agree with you there, 3 points would be unfair and perhaps the team which "wins" on penalties would get just one point.

If I'm not mistaken the "no draws" system has been working in Japan since the J-League was incepted...
    Am I right in saying that in the past it used to be 2points for a win?? This was changed (i think) to 3points to give the added incentive of teams going for the win as there was more points at stake and therefore more points lost out on if the teams draw.

Yes, it was one of the few good things which Jimmy Hill brought into the game.

Basically it encouraged team to go for a win, and trust me things did improve as a result. Ultimately this, and the proposed penalties solution, lead to a more open game with teams trying to win, rather than just go for a draw and IMHO that can only be a good thing. Why should we offer a benefit for neagtive play?
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Why should we offer a benefit for neagtive play?
    It is all part and parcel of the game, Say Leeds go to OT looking for a draw, they defend in numbers, it is now up to Man U to win the game. It leads to excitement as Man U are having all the possession, all the attacks and are trying to find a way through. It causes all the Leeds fans to be shitting themselves for 90mins. I think it causes excitement.

Then Duberry slips and RvHorsehead pops up in the 99th minute and bags the winner :)

From Chris waddle in TheSun:

SunSport columnist Chris Waddle, who infamously missed a penalty for England in the 1990 World Cup semi-finals, said: “You can understand penalties in a tournament which has to finish but not on a league basis. That would be a farce.

“Americans don’t understand draws and love the excitement of penalties. But if Sepp Blatter wants to increase the drama and entertainment it would be better to have four or five points for a win and two for a draw.

“That would make teams go out and play to win.”

Maybe changing the points system again is the way forward, I think a draw needs to still be an option.......
    Blatter in a nutter
    agree with what waddle said. the MLS in america had no draws (not sure if that still happens) simply because the yanks dont understand the concept of neither team winning a game. nor do they like games with low scores, which is why it was full of rubbish/washed up english players. think its getting better now but dont really care.

we must keep the draw, the sooner blatter fucks off the better, he's an arse who thinks he's bigger than the game