Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The people who know tell it like it is: Blair is Bush's poodle

As you will all have heard, yesterday saw the biggest attack ever launched on a Prime Minister when no fewer than 52 British ex-diplomats wrote a letter fiercely critical of the British government's unconditional support of Bush's policy on Iraq and Israel. The attack is unprecedented in British politics and reflects the high anxiety and extreme unease of the diplomatic community with Blair's foreign policy. Full story.

I doubt it will make any difference to the Great Leader, but it is nice to see that practically everyone now- not only politicians and the public but actual diplomats who have served in the Middle East and understand it best- have now told Blair he got it deeply wrong and that his disgusting unconditional backing of US foreign policy goes against British policy on the Middle East and it will cost yet more blood.

Not only the absolute and utter shambles the situation in Iraq is, but also Blair's conformity with the filthy endorsement Dubya gave to the Butcher of Tel Aviv's plans for a partial withdrawal from Palestine.

We all know how Blair likes to think 'trust me, I know best' when dealing with public opinion. I wonder if he will dare to be so patronising to the people who understand the Middle East a trillion times better than the British and American governments put together...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I actually believe Blair is naive enough to think he is doing the world good. The sad thing is there is no alternative to him. Let's see what happens to his precious reputation if Kerry wins the US Presidency, I doubt he has many Democrat friends on the other side of the Atlantic.
  • Options
    You know there is something very wrong with this people when you see a Labour government endorsing a Republican candidate for the US Presidency- and the most dangerous and ultra right wing in living memory as well.

I really look forward to the twat's reply to the letter. The diplomats will probably be accused of being anti-semite or something... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Its not strickly the largest of its type, I think some 150 economists put a letter in The Times about Thatcher.

But its certainly an interesting move.

But even if Blair openly didnt aggree with Bush about his plans for the Middle East, do you think Bush would change his mind in an election year? Of course not. Its not just the Jewish vote, most American Christians believe in Israel too.

And at the next election, what do we get, Vote Blair, Get Brown!
  • Options
    The thing about Blair that I can't work out is his rationale.

I can't decide if he truly believes that he is a wonderful statesman who is doing a huge favour to the whole world by making it better, or if he has ulterior motives and is just hiding behind the moralistic nonsense he comes out with.

And I'm not entirely sure which is worse; in a way I hope he IS a liar, because it's a lot easier to deal with that someone actually believing that what he is doing is morally correct.
  • Options
    Completely agree Kermit. Can't really understand whether he has been really hypnotised by the US President (how could anyone be hypnotised by someone so profoundly stupid, deluded and incompetent???), whether he has a hidden agenda and geopolitical grand plans like the neo-cons in America, or whether he simply believes he's doing a good job and steering the US government in the 'right' direction as well.
  • Options
    I think he really believes it, you think back to all the flip flapping he did on any number of issues, he total reliance on the focus group for ideas.

Now, even though the majority of the country had serious doubts over the war, he goes ahead, the modern day Churchil.

He believes his own hype and I think he is ready to risk his job to do it.
  • Options
    Yes but what you fail to understand is that ultimately Tony can afford to risk his current job having cozied up sufficiently to the Bush dynasty to ensure a waiting seat on the Carlyle Group board should he be ousted.
  • Options
  • Options
    That'd surely be the end of the EU.
  • Options
    Who are these American 'friends' you speak of?

Because you couldn't possibly be referring to the US government as a 'friend' of this country.

With friends like those...
  • Options
    LOL... Bush fucks Blair up the arse on every given occasion.

- They get to install the early listening stations for their Star Wars Shield system in Britain. Yet we won't even be covered by it. Guess what would be the first thing anyone would attack if they wanted to disable the shield...

- They sell us their missile technology for our nuclear deterrent on the condition that they share the launch codes (or some other stuff). Which means in practice we couldn't even launch our own deterrent without US' consent.

- We agree to part fund their absurdly expensive Joint Strike Fighter programme... and again, we won't have any say on vital technological characteristics or weapons systems the aircraft is to have.

- They use our unconditional political support to drum up their imperialistic war on Iraq... and then they completely ignore us after they promised they would sort out the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in a balanced way in return for our support on Iraq.

- They claim to be our best friends and allies... yet they happily embark on trade tariffs and embargoes that damage our economy and fingerprint us on arrival to their country like criminals.

Some fucking ‘Special Relationship’!
  • Options
    Yes indeed. Why don't you start?
  • Options
    I can't think of any. As far as I'm concerned you are the one who thinks Britain is worse off with our European friends and neighbours than with an alien nation 3,000 miles away.

So why don't YOU tell me what is it that Europe has done to us?
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    done for us... took millions of our money every week
    And yet you forget to mention the benefits we get from them
    telling us that we can't sell bent bananas lmao
    Do you see now why people despair at your trying to debate issues from the information you read in the S*n? :rolleyes:

You do believe anything don't you?

france try their hardest to not make english the official language of Europe, france imposes a long ban to our beef... to conclusion we put lots into europe but get very little.
    More myths and rubbish.
  • Options
    I'm sorry mate but if you insist on talking rubbish it will be pointed out to you that you're talking rubbish.

"Can't sell bent bananas..." ffs...
  • Options
    done for us... took millions of our money every week, telling us that we can't sell bent bananas lmao, france try their hardest to not make english the official language of Europe, france imposes a long ban to our beef... to conclusion we put lots into europe but get very little.

What the fuck are you on about now? LOL! :D
  • Options
    you keep proving me right again. like i said before anything i say it's either rubbish or from the sun.

Thats because the things you prattle on about are not true.
  • Options
    france try their hardest to not make english the official language of Europe

Why should English be the Offical langauage of Europe?

There is about at the moment 13 diffrent langauages at the moment in the EU. May 1st this will increase.
    took millions of our money every week

The UK has a rebate

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2360889.stm

read that and it will explain
  • Options
    lukesh, i'd rather be friends with decent proper allies from our own continent than some inbred hick, bible-bashing reactionary tramp who hasn't got a clue what he's on about and who's split the Uk in two when at this time everyone needs to stay together, it annoys me so much when these righ wingers come in and talk absolute bollocks and they genunely think they're talking sense when any right minded perosn knows they're talking sh*t, ahhh the anger, i'm ok now :)
  • Options
    But what do you expect Turlough? At the end of the day, God himself talks to Bush and tells him what to do, according to Dubya.

I mean, if the Lord himself is dictating Bush's foreign policy we shouldn't doubt it at all, right? :D :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    But what do you expect Turlough? At the end of the day, God himself talks to Bush and tells him what to do, according to Dubya.

I mean, if the Lord himself is dictating Bush's foreign policy we shouldn't doubt it at all, right? :D :rolleyes:

I wonder what would happen if one day while Bush was giving the orders to drop yet more bombs on a random country, and the 'God' that speaks to him disagreed. D'you think he'd declare war on Heaven? :chin:
  • Options
    Blair is poo, so is bush, bring in the National party, only for the fact they would care bout all the british in the country instead of all the ilegal imigrants etc.

also i am not racist,

hicks
  • Options
    Did that make sense to anyone? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sgt Hicks
    bring in the National party
    also i am not racist,

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Ladies and gents, remove the sign in the window: the position has been filled. :D
  • Options
    Blair is poo, so is bush, bring in the National party, only for the fact they would care bout all the british in the country instead of all the ilegal imigrants etc.

also i am not racist,

hicks

Yep, Blair really only cares about all those NON voting illegal immigrants, the ones who mean we can have farming and a hospitality trade within the UK.

Take a look at our birth rate and tell me with a straight face we do NOT need immigrants.
  • Options
    We DO-NOT need imigrants :)

hicks
  • Options
    Oh yes we do.

What we do not need is bigots and xenophobes- not that I'm saying you're one of them naturally.
  • Options
    We have a birth rate thats too low to maintain our population and we are, on average, getting older.

How would YOU cope with the number of pensioners compared to workers if people are obviously not having enough babies?
  • Options
    We DO-NOT need imigrants :)

Poland has trained nursing staff.

The UK needs trained nursing staff.

You work it out...