Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Employment Agencies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Such as Reed, Addeco etc..do they charge a fee for finding you a job?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I did data inputting work for National Savings, through Adecco ages ago. What they did is charged National Savings like £9 an hour but paid us £5, so they kept the remainder. They dont charge you a fee though for finding a job though and they do find positions reasonably quickly.

You might need quite a few good work/personal references.
    Originally posted by dave_oliver
    I did data inputting work for National Savings, through Adecco ages ago. What they did is charged National Savings like £9 an hour but paid us £5, so they kept the remainder. They dont charge you a fee though for finding a job though and they do find positions reasonably quickly.

You might need quite a few good work/personal references.

So they'll take some of your wages then?!

Sod that!
    Originally posted by 1983

Sod that!

I didn't realise that they did that until I found out from National Savings how much they were paying Adecco an hour for us. In all honesty though I found them reallly good, I went into the Adecco office on a Thursday and by Monday I was in work.

Plus if you prove yourself to be a good member of staff, the company your are sent to might keep you on, on a full-time contract. Companies often use recruitment agencies to find people for certain positions without actaully employing them fully first.

One thing you cant do with Addecco is mess them about, days off and stuff like that cause they'll just drop you straight away. Thats what I did :)
    Job agencies are a great way to find jobs, all be it temp or permanent. Yes they in a way take some of your wage. But tbh you'll get the same rates of pay on average if you go through an agency that you would if you came to be employed straight off by a company. Angencies know that staff know the sort of average wages for a particular type of job and ensure they agree that sort of wage for you. They have to make a profit somehow or how would they keep running. Basically you can view the extra they charge the company as their administration costs rather than your wage.

Sod that!

They do, but it's not to say that you would see that money if it wasn't going to the agency.

After a while you could try going direct and see if the company will pay you more.

Sod that!

Its not that they take your wages. The company will pay them a fee of say £9 an hour to supply them with a temp, and then you will get paid £6 an hour, for example. It doesn't really make much difference because it wouldn't be likely that you'd find a job that would pay you £9 an hour anyway!
    In some cases agencies take the piss and end up with more money thenthe person doing the work.

At my old company the boss wet mad when he found out the girl he got through the agency was gettig less money er hour then the agency.

With permenant jobs the agency gest around 15% to 30% of your first year's wages as a finder's fee, that's why you can often do well applying to companies directly cos it costs them nothing to trial you for a few weeks except those weeks wages.

Also most agencies have clauses to stop you hiring temps fulltime - either the company must pay them a big fee or wait 6 months before they can employee you fulltime (whilst you work somewhere else)