Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Degrees and careers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you NEED a degree to get a decent job? I am doing a HND at college, can I get a decent job with just that?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nope, I don't think you do..

I went to college, got three rather poor A-levels, spent a year waitressing then got my job as a clerical assistant for an insurance broker. I'm now taking my industry exams and learning on the job, getting paid a decent salary for it, and once qualified am pretty much guaranteed a highly paid job, due to there being a severe lack of young account handlers in our area. There are only three major insurance brokers locally and they'll be crying out for account handlers in a few years once the "old school" lot retire... So I'm pretty much sorted, as long as I put the effort in! :)
    It depends completely on the type of work you are looking for, AND a few other factors too.

As the example above shows you, you can get a lower paid job then work upwards, getting a degree CAN help you skip upwards easier.

Could you not spend one more year at uni and get a degree, I went from year 2 of an HND to year 3 Ba.
    No, you don't

A good HND and some decent work experience/ skills on your CV can get you a decent job too. Showing you have put your qualifications/ career intersts in to practice on your own time is always going to help.

The more qualifications you have the easier it can be to get a job at a higher level rather than working your way up, but they can work as a disadvantage to.

Susie :)
    i think it totally depends on what job you want to do.

from the jobs i've been reading through, i'd say that more are looking for solid experience, but there are still a fair few that say 'must be educated to degree level'.

with a HND there'd still be a lot you'd be able to do, but you'd probably have a slightly lower entry level. doesn't stop you working your way up though.

having said that, like bongbudda said, if it's only an extra year to get a degree, it might be worth doing.
    I am in two minds on what I should do, I am just fed up of studying and Im not sure if I would be able to cope at uni.
    what kind of jobs are you thinking of looking for?
    Re: Degrees and careers
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*
    Do you NEED a degree to get a decent job?
    On the contrary, degrees are only essential for a minority of careers, like law or medicine. There are plenty of other trades that only require HNDs or less.
    A degree can help you get further quicker, or is useful / needed for some professions, but otherwise no.