Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Counselling?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Where's the best place to go to get a counsellor?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Counselling?
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast
    Where's the best place to go to get a counsellor?

look at the places where your insurance covers ??
    My GP is shit. Most things in Britain are shit if you ask me.

I been trying to get help for depression for years, and personally I'm sure I have some kind of mental illness. I mean don't get me wrong I'm intelligent and appear to be 'all there' but I'm sure there's some kind of imbalance, or years of drug abuse making me a paranoid freak!

I just fancy chatting to someone but it seems to be the hardest thing to get!

And everyone wants to blame my temper on my alchohol/drugs etc
    try emailing the samaritans and see if they know of any organisation local to you.
  • KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    The British Association for Counsellors has got a webpage that lets you look for a therapist near you.

If you don't like your GP, just ask to see another doc at the clinic. A GP should be able to point you in the direction of a counsellor.

But do call the Samaritans for free advice, or visit their website to email them or search for a drop-in centre near you.

Hope this helps.

x
    Re: Re: Counselling?
    Originally posted by Blnde_BombShell
    look at the places where your insurance covers ??
    Generally irrelevant here, thanks to the NHS. Although if you do have health insurance / money you'll be seen much quicker if you go private - on the NHS it took 6 months where I live and that seems about average.

Also there are sometimes counsellors connected to workplaces and colleges / universities so they'd be a good port of call.
    when I went to the doctors to try and sort out some kind of counselling he said "you seem to have your head screwed on, I don't think it will help you as you seem to have a short term problem" I thought he was very unhelpful!
    Originally posted by ~*STRESSED*~
    He sounds like a waste of space

Counselling is about talking through your problems your currently having, not how long nor how big the problem is your having.

Anyone should be able to have counselling if they need someone to talk to

err yeah, thats what I thought! I tried talking to the counsellor through my works welfare department, she wasn't much help either. I need to get so much off my chest but I feel like I keep coming up against closed doors!
    Also try ...

SANELINE
    Offers practical information, crisis care and emotional support to anybody affected by mental health problems. The service is open from 12 noon until 2am.
    Telephone: 0845 767 8000

Careline
    Telephone counselling service for children, young people and adults on any issue, including relationships, depression, mental health, child abuse, bullying, rape and sexual assault, domestic violence, addictions, stress etc.
    Telephone: 020 8875 0500

who might be able to point you in the right direction.

Take care

Susie
    I found my counsellor in the yellow pages.

Why not do a search at Google or something??
    This feature may also be handy - it outlines the benefits and downfalls of counselling.
    :)