Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Le Pen to visit Britain. Should he be allowed to enter?

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    UNHCR report on asylum into UK

Blagsta

Didn't say immigration

Like shooting fish in a barrel:lol::lol::lol:

Errrrr...we rank 8th in 2002 according to that link.

Shooting yourself in the foot more like. :rolleyes:

Not very intelligent you fascists are you? :D
    Although at present the UK receives more asylum applications than other Western European countries in terms of absolute numbers,

So, Blagsta, what did you not understand in that statement?

Oh, you're focussing on the spin put on the truth by the UNHCR where R is for Refugee, they sadly can't just collect and present stats as they are partial

Does the average asylum-seeker think about the population-size/land-mass.... of his chosen destination? No of course not, it's where the going's good, the UK.
    Do you understand what the expression "application" means...?
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Although at present the UK receives more asylum applications than other Western European countries in terms of absolute numbers, in terms of asylum applications per head of population the UK ranked only 8th in 2002* and 12th over the last decade as a whole (1992 - 2001). [*Excluding Italy as data is not yet available.]

Asylum figures must also be looked at in the context of the wider global and long-term picture. In the 1990s Germany received the highest number of applications within the European Union. Just under two million applied for asylum in Germany between 1990-2000 - in comparison the UK had only 25% of Germany's total (454,445).

Just to put it all in context. Can you two possibly stop bitching at each other and not get personal? You are really beginning to get on my nerves.
    Man Of Kent
    Do you understand what the expression "application" means...?

Yes, someone has physically brought themselves across the rest of democratic Europe , the channel/N. Sea to apply for asylum and given the shambles of UK's asylum system, stands a very good chance of remaining
    Yes, someone has physically brought themselves across the rest of democratic Europe , the channel/N. Sea to apply for asylum and given the shambles of UK's asylum system, stands a very good chance of remaining

Interesting definition, especially the part where you say "very good chance" because let's face it, that is an opinion.

An application means that someone is asking to be allowed to reside in the UK. It does not mean that they will be allowed to live here indefinately.

So, just because the UK recieved a high number of applications does not mean that the UK passed the highest level and I would be interested if you could prove that either way - although I suspect that you would only offer stats in your favour rather than admit that you predjuduce was based on racist tendances.

Inspite of all this talk about highest numbers though, what is wrong with applications - particularly from people seeking work in the UK who may take up jobs which no-one in the UK seems to want (i.e. nursing shortage...)
    You don't address why UK should be so-targetted.

Hard for me to pronounce definitively as HMgov is playing games with asylum/ immigration hence the Moxon/Beverly Hughes debacle, would-be asylum/post May1st immigrants rushed in on a lax visa basis.

Ring a bell?
    You don't address why UK should be so-targetted.

Why should I? I don't consider it a problem.
    Hard for me to pronounce definitively as HMgov is playing games with asylum/ immigration hence the Moxon/Beverly Hughes debacle, would-be asylum/post May1st immigrants rushed in on a lax visa basis.

Ring a bell?

Yep, and what proportion of applications were "dodgy"? 1%, 25%, 100%?
    Sorry about the large chunk of information...
    From - http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/default.asp?pageid=15
    Support is provided to asylum seekers who are destitute whilst their
    claims for asylum are being considered. Accommodation is provided on a
    "no choice" basis in parts of the UK where there is less pressure on
    accommodation than in London and other parts of the South East. Asylum
    seekers are given subsistence payments in order that they may purchase
    food and other goods. This 'dispersal' of asylum seekers and their
    support is provided by the National Asylum Support Service (NASS).

From - http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/default.asp?PageId=91

How is the level of subsistence payment calculated?

Asylum seekers who would otherwise be destitute are provided with
    support that meets their essential living needs. As a general rule
    weekly levels of subsistence payment, based on 70% of income support for
    adults and 100% of the levels for children, are:

Person aged 25 or over £37.77

Person aged 18-24 £29.89

Couple £59.26

Lone parent £37.77

Child 16-17 £32.50

Child under 16 £33.50

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/default.asp?PageId=3659 includes
    figures for asylum application in the last year or two.

From http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/default.asp?PageId=91 (again)

What proportion of UK asylum applications are successful?

The percentage varies widely from month to month depending on the mix of
    people whose applications are being decided at any given time, and what
    is going on in the countries they come from. Each claim is decided
    individually on it's own merits - there is no “target”. A record
    118,195 initial decisions were made in 2001, an increase of 8% compared
    with 2000. 9% of these decisions grants of asylum, 17% grants of ELR and
    74% refusals.

In 2001, of the 43,415 appeals determined, 19% were allowed, 2 withdrawn
    and 79% of the appeals were dismissed.

Current information can be found in the monthly asylum statistics
    published on the 25th of each month on the Home Office Research
    Development Statistics (RDS) website.
    (http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/immigration1.html)

Thanks to Jim for finding the above info. I posted it because there seems to be claims and counter-claims regarding how 'cushy' life is for asylum seekers in the UK, but no actual figures. So there they are.
    Absolute numbers mean fuck all in practical terms and you know it. It's just something racists and xenophobes cling to in an attempt to support their views.

Tell me, what's going to have a bigger impact on a nation's infrastructure and economy: 100,000 immigrants in a country of 60 million or 20,000 immigrants in a country of half a million?

Get your calculator out.
    Aladdin
    Absolute numbers mean fuck all in practical terms and you know it. It's just something racists and xenophobes cling to in an attempt to support their views.

Don't be absurd, if that were so we could scrap much of the Civil Service as we wouldn't need to measure absolute numbers of pensioners, unemployed, disabled.

As I said earlier it is significant that democratic Europe is by-passed for UK in absolute asylum-number terms
    As I said earlier it is significant that democratic Europe is by-passed for UK in absolute asylum-number terms

No it isn't. IMHO.

Why do you think it is significant?
    So, Blagsta, what did you not understand in that statement?

Jesus, not very bright are you? :D

What don't you understand about the rest of the statememt, eh?

Here it is in full, fact fans
    Statistics
    This section contains information on both UK asylum statistics and global refugee statistics.

Recently Published! Refugees by Numbers 2003 - UNHCR's latest Global Statistics.

UK

Although at present the UK receives more asylum applications than other Western European countries in terms of absolute numbers, in terms of asylum applications per head of population the UK ranked only 8th in 2002* and 12th over the last decade as a whole (1992 - 2001). [*Excluding Italy as data is not yet available.]

Asylum figures must also be looked at in the context of the wider global and long-term picture. In the 1990s Germany received the highest number of applications within the European Union. Just under two million applied for asylum in Germany between 1990-2000 - in comparison the UK had only 25% of Germany's total (454,445).

(italics mine)

Typical of the BNP not to let facts get in the way of a good racist strop.

Poor effort ladyfuck. Not doing a good job of promoting the BNP here. You're making out yourselves to be quite quite stupid.
    Your political masters will be dissapointed in you. :D:D

BTW is it true that Nick Griffin is gay?
    Aladdin

Don't be absurd, if that were so we could scrap much of the Civil Service as we wouldn't need to measure absolute numbers of pensioners, unemployed, disabled.

What on earth are you on about now? :confused:

No, we have more applications. And so what? Shouldn't you be proud of living in a country that other people want to come to?
    Oh ffs. This is so tedious. You are like a bunch of monkeys.
This discussion has been closed.