Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Student Cards (Discounted Newspapers)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I was just wondering, what is the name of the card that will let you buy the Guardian (or the Telegraph) for 20p. Is it only for university students or could i get it now in the upper sixth. Furthermore when i go to university will i get it automatically? Also do most places take it when buying a paper?

I was just curious as i pay 55p for a paper and it would be much nicer to get it cheaper!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    You get vouchers sometimes, and you can buy it from the union shop for 20p. Its a NUS thingy I think, but the NUS in 6th form suxz. Is it really that much of a problem to pay a bit more? You can always try reading it online!

Bopz
  • Options
    You are offered an NUS card on enrolment at college/ uni - it's free and gives you loads of discounts from cinema to food to music to newspapers. Find out more about discounts on the guardian and observer here
  • Options
    Newspapers are usually discounted anyway at campus shops...or is that just at my uni!?

If not, as said before just read them online at no cost
  • Options
    I hate the NUS :mad:
    They have the monopol in the UK.

So many places refused me a discount, cause my student card was Danish.
    Except from the nice ones, who didn't care.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Roberta Carlos
    Newspapers are usually discounted anyway at campus shops...or is that just at my uni!?

No it's not just yours, the shop at my uni does aswell.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    I hate the NUS :mad:
    They have the monopol in the UK.

So many places refused me a discount, cause my student card was Danish.
    Except from the nice ones, who didn't care.

That's a little rash Jacq.

The NUS is the voice of the students, without it we'd all just be lazy and voiceless.

If they refused your Danish card, you didn't try hard enough. Official-looking foreign documents can get you a long way in this country - my Swiss drivers license is massively useful to carry around.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Turtle

If they refused your Danish card, you didn't try hard enough. Official-looking foreign documents can get you a long way in this country - my Swiss drivers license is massively useful to carry around.

Well, actually they accepted mine everywhere except from the cinema, where it was specifically stated. Came to the stage where my friends called the black guy who was in the stand selling tickets "a racist against Danish students". He was nice though, and before we left he assured us he wasn't a racist :D
    When they asked questions in shops, I just said "oh, it's a Danish card". But my friends lost a lot of TopShop discounts.

Either way, it's only when they're bitchy that they refuse the card, I mean it's not as if they take the discount from the pocket of the cashier.
  • Options
    ...and the NUS card wouldn't be accepted in Denmark. So it goes.

You can get an International Student Card, though I don't know where or how.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

Here the card is different for every school, so I actually think it would work.
    At least I know that my cousin from israel got in free for museums and stuff when she was here a lot of years ago.

Either way, they expect us to pay for the international card, when we should have gotten it free.
    I think I'll survive without.
  • Options

dammit I pressed edit instead of quote, apologies... anyway

I know you can get this from the STA
  • Options
    We had the International one in Lower Sixth, had to pay for it though. I think there's an ISIC website. Upper Sixth, the Connexions cards started so we had them instead. Now I'm at uni and they disaffiliated from NUS at the end of last year so we have SUSU cards instead - Sunderland University Students Union - which means if we go anywhere other than, say, Sunderland or Newcastle, no doubt they won't be accepted as they're not NUS :P
  • Options
    Oh, and Renzokuken - I remember at the beginning of the year I read about the discount thing and was going to apply but never got round to it. I got a newspaper from the Freshers Fayre that advertised it. I think you can probably go to the website to get it but I'm not sure, but yes, I think 6th form students should be able to get it too. Although as other people have said, Student Union shops sell the newspapers more cheaply anyway.
  • Options
    Interesting that Sunderland disaffiliated from NUS.

Durham Students' Union make their own cards, they're not the standard NUS cards so I have great trou8ble getting people to accept them in shops. Though they do say NUS on them so they have to accept them:D
  • Options

Durham Students' Union make their own cards, they're not the standard NUS cards so I have great trou8ble getting people to accept them in shops. Though they do say NUS on them so they have to accept them:D

same here my uni (ucl) is considering leaving the nus too since they have the opposite view to our own union and imperial down the road disaffiliated and got cheaper lager too :naughty: but at the moment we have different to nus cards you have to read small print on back, gets annoying mind you
  • Options

Mm. They decided it wasn't good value for money, apparently.