Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What makes English/British Not again!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yes again,
I read the other thread and was thinking of the defination of what makes someone english/British as it cant be tied to race.

My alternative definition is that someone has to have appreciation for the sacrifices of previous generations.

Regardless of someone’s race its more than just disrespectful or ignorant to have no value for the rights in this country that have been won and fought for in the past.

The same people who might sneer at armistice day, would gain from the social security system, that previous generations fought and paid for, the justice that means you have to have a trial before being locked up.

Don’t want to sound like too much of an old foggie but I think these values should be universal regardless of race, a much better definition than liking fish and chips etc.

Comments

• Options
    I always thought if you were born in a country then that defined your nationality - deep down.

However, then you have rules where you can gain citizenship after a number of years. So there we are.

I', British and I'm Welsh though I was born near Birmingham I have lived in wales since I was seven so I am Welsh. The language thing helps.
  • Options
    Nationality is more than where you were born,
    "being born in a stable does not make one a horse"
    Wellington.

What about the old British raj, the people who were born there but came back to the UK after independence arnt Indian are they.
  • Options
    yes Again

Again I say,,

Ha Ha Ha Ha

but seriously I read some of them and had my idea of what makes english/british would like some comments on that so what do you think
  • Options
    Read my introduction let me know..

Sorry got to go now to the gym...
  • Options
    I'm British. England, Scotland, Wales and NI aren't nation-states anyhow, so British is the acceptable and standard term.
  • Options
    I'm British because I was born in Hammersmith and registered as a British Citizen.

I'm Spanish because my father is a Spanish national (he wasn't before though) and that gives me the right to claim Spanish nationality.

I can have both at the same time. I like Fish and Chips and Spanish Omelettes... don't know how to spell that... Tortilla Española.

And when I'm asked if I'm English I always answer I'm British. I look forward to the day I can say I'm European and show the pretty blue Passport. :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    I always thought if you were born in a country then that defined your nationality - deep down.

I was born in Sweden... only lived there for 29 days. Don't feel Swedish at all. ;)

I'll probably always refer to myself as an Icelandic. Not because I love my country so much or anything like that, and I certainly wouldn't say that I'm more or less Icelandic than anybody else. It's just where I come from/grew up and that's it.
  • Options
    I do not think there are any values that are shared universally. by any group of people as large as a nation, in any situation.

I think an appreciation of the history of a place, a snese of why institutions etc are the way they are is important.........
  • Options
    Originally posted by xicoperez
    I look forward to the day I can say I'm European and show the pretty blue Passport. :yes:
    Hear hear!
  • Options
    Not to throw a spanner in the works here but aren't you really asking what makes a good citizen - now don't take this example as saying that people who immigrate to a country are not British after gaining nationality, it's just an example and the immigration issue is seperate.

A guy is born in Somerset, he never leaves the country in his life and respects his family and his upbringing. His father was a member of Oswald Mosley's British Fascist Party. As he grows up he becomes more and more fascinated with the nazi party and the fact that they should have won the second world war. As a 40 year old he plants a bomb in his village on Rememberance sunday. As he is arrested and sent to the prison all the time shouting that he did it to bring down the government. His actions are condemed across the world, including by a Germany that is at a loss to understand his twisted perspective.

Such a man would be a traitor and a terrorist, an appaling citizen, but he would always have been an appaling British man wouldn't he? His lack of respect would never change his nationality.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by lukesh
    what a suprise?

What an completely irrelevant and redundant comment.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    What an completely irrelevant and redundant comment.

Please, someone has to like Lukesh... :yes:

Anyone? :eek2:

Well I like you Lukesh. I find you... amusing. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I never said I didn't like him. I just don't see that comments like that have any purpose other than to antagonise.
  • Options
    You keep missing the point don't you?
  • Options
    Yeah whatever.
  • Options
    stop refering to papers

:banghead:
  • Options
    as in stop complaining if someone reads the sun

It really isn't a source of credit, to be known to read that newspaper.
    If discussing serious matters, you're expected to refer to serious sources.
  • Options
    Do you? You only seem to quote from the rag.

In fact, some of your posts could have almost been forgiven for cut and paste jobs from 'The S*n Says' editorial column.

Every single scaremongering story, every single rumour you repeat here comes from the rag.

And for as long as you continue maintaining that the rag is a perfectly good and reliable source of news, the rest of the world will continue to correct you. Because not even the most loyal S*n reader would have trouble admitting that the paper is good for showing tits, talking about football and giving light entertainment relief while having your fry up in the morning- but certainly not for current affairs.
  • Options
    So?? every popint you make is from that Guardian. what has that said about st georges day?
    You're comparing The Sun, to The Guardian :eek2:

As much as I dislike The Guardian for being utterly and completely one-sided, that was seriously a stupid (in the true sense of the word) thing to say.
  • Options
    i don't think it was. I love the Sun... loves it's country and people unlike the guardian who publishs anti american crap.

but the George W. Bush cartoons are so amusing :(
  • Options
    Lukesh, I don't believe I have quoted or posted a link to the Guardian once since you've started posting.

You've got this visceral hatred of the Guardian (something which I'm positive you've acquired from your parents or other relatives/friends) and keep talking about it even though I haven't even admitted reading it once. As it happens I do read the online version most days, just as I check other papers.

But I get a majority of stories from the BBC. Oh wait, that's also liberal and anti-British and anti-American, correct?
  • Options
    the suns?

The Guardians.

And in relation to Aladdin's comment, i have picked up my choice of paper on my own. My mum at least is a 'Times' reader
  • Options
    i don't think it was. I love the Sun... loves it's country and people unlike the guardian who publishs anti american crap.

The Sun loves hooliganism, ugly English behaviour and making money of Beckhams current affair. And America is as far as I understood not your country.

I do understand if you don't wanna read a paper because of their political stance, but at least read a proper one.
  • Options
    can be.

What are the papers you read then?

I like to read the sun, the daily star, the express (Quality!), mail is okish, telegraph, times and independant at school.

I honestly, don't believe you read those on a regular basis.
  • Options
    cuckoo.gif
  • Options
    lol. you try telling the 9 million sun readers that! We read what we want. the sun is the best seeling paper in the Uk and the 5th best selling english daily.

Obviously you have 9 million idiots in Britain then. And I don't have a problem saying that.
  • Options
    lol. you try telling the 9 million sun readers that! We read what we want. the sun is the best seeling paper in the Uk and the 5th best selling english daily.
    Of course you read what you want. Another matter is how many of those readers take the editorial line of the rag, which is dictated by a tax-dodging foreigner, as gossip.

I know several S*n readers and they read it because it entertains them. But they're all happy to admit the paper is extremely right wing and biased, and certainly couldn't care less what 'The S*n Says'.

As for your other question, when I buy papers, which is not often because I commute by bike, is usually the Guardian / Observer. But I check the S*n every day (know your enemy ;) ), the Telegraph and the Independent online as well. And I've been known to buy the Sunday Times, because politics apart it's the best Sunday paper.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    cuckoo.gif

:lol::lol::D
  • Options
    my parents are sun reads too. :)

:chin: Now we know who is to blame...
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    And I don't have a problem saying that.

I noticed that a long time ago... :nervous:
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I check the S*n every day

Yeah, The Sun, sure
  • Options
    Well these were the best figures I could find

circulation

still shows 3.5 million readers for the Sun which hardly hurts your case Lukesh, so please stop feeling the need to make up numbers.

People are asked to find references to the stories they post because the issues people talk about here are important and people would like to debate them. We could all win debates if we could just make up numbers.

Everyone else, the benefit of the debate forum is the chance to alter someones perspective, regardless of where you sit politically. If you feel strongly about something try to convince others of your view rather than insult them... which is a roundabout way of saying enough with f***ing cuckoo clock.