Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

degrees

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i should really know this as im studying for my degree but i dont get how degrees are classified

Like whats the best out of a 2:2 degree and a 2:1 degree? Isnt it the same degree anyway

It makes no sense to me whatsoever!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Re: degrees
    Originally posted by Blah_x2
    i should really know this as im studying for my degree but i dont get how degrees are classified

Like whats the best out of a 2:2 degree and a 2:1 degree? Isnt it the same degree anyway

It makes no sense to me whatsoever!

Lol how can you not know if you're doing one?! Anyway, the highest is a first (no divisions within a first), then a second class (which has two divisions, an upper second or 2:1 and a lower second or 2:2). There are also 3rd and 4th class degrees. A 2:1 is a higher classicifation therefore than a 2:2, 2:1 is pretty much what most people aim for, very hard to get a first.
  • Options
    Re: Re: degrees
    Originally posted by Museman
    Lol how can you not know if you're doing one?! Anyway, the highest is a first (no divisions within a first), then a second class (which has two divisions, an upper second or 2:1 and a lower second or 2:2). There are also 3rd and 4th class degrees. A 2:1 is a higher classicifation therefore than a 2:2, 2:1 is pretty much what most people aim for, very hard to get a first.

ah i get it now! cheers :thumb:

i want a first :(
  • Options
    A 2:2 IS A DRINKERS DEGREE (i HAVE ONE!!:-0_
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: degrees
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    That'll be an average of over 70% then *nodnod*

A couple of people I know who got firsts actually reckon it can work against you because to get a first generally requires an insane amount of hard work sometimes to the detriment of having a life, and employers are looking for rounded individuals with loads of interests and stuff. They reckon they would have been better off with a 2:1, and having had a bit more time spare to pursue other outside interests to stick on their CV and appear less anorak-like!
  • Options
    Yeah, I calculated today that to get a first overall I need to get at least 71% in every single exam... No chance... Even though I've got a 1st for my diss, and about 3 other 1st for my essays. And you get 4th class degrees? I thought they had binned those?
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    Yeah, I calculated today that to get a first overall I need to get at least 71% in every single exam... No chance... Even though I've got a 1st for my diss, and about 3 other 1st for my essays. And you get 4th class degrees? I thought they had binned those?

Well in the Derby paper, my local one, they had people listed as getting 4ths last academic year, so I guess they still exist.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: degrees
    Originally posted by Museman
    A couple of people I know who got firsts actually reckon it can work against you because to get a first generally requires an insane amount of hard work sometimes to the detriment of having a life, and employers are looking for rounded individuals with loads of interests and stuff.

that can be true. my dad used to be head of recruitment for his company, and he said he generally wouldn't take on people with firsts, because they tended to be 'all work and no play'.
    Well in the Derby paper, my local one, they had people listed as getting 4ths last academic year, so I guess they still exist.

at leeds you can get just 'pass' which i guess is equal to a 4th. although what the point of having one is, i've no idea.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: degrees
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    that can be true. my dad used to be head of recruitment for his company, and he said he generally wouldn't take on people with firsts, because they tended to be 'all work and no play'.

at leeds you can get just 'pass' which i guess is equal to a 4th. although what the point of having one is, i've no idea.

better than not having one...
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: degrees
    better than not having one...

i wouldn't have thought so.

if i was employing, i'd rather take someone who left school after a levels, but has 3 years good, solid work experience than someone who has a 'pass' degree. the latter just screams 'i couldn't be arsed'.
  • Options
    I agree, either that or it screams 'I could be arsed but I'm really thick'.
  • Options
    I think more the 'Could't be arsed'. Is hard to get a 4th if you actually do the work. If you were thick you wouldn't be at uni in the first place.
  • Options
    Sometimes it's better just to get a general pass at uni than a 3rd class (hons) degree tbh. Cos then noone knows how badly you did at hons.
  • Options
    I dont think it should be a case of not aiming for a first if your capable though.
    Im only in first year and I know it gets harder as you go on, but my average for the 7 modules I've completed so far is well up in the first area.
    None of that has been at the detriment of fresher life. I go out whenever I can (to the extent of falling asleep in lectures instead of going to bed...opps.), have found a lovely boyfriend and take part in extra curicular uni life (sports, music and charity work).
    Its more a matter of finding a balance that works for you- giving you a result you are happy with whilst getting the most out of everything available at uni!

Now my question in relation to gradings...

What happens if the course is a 4 year undergrad style MSc? Does anyone know if they have any divisions or if you just get the MSc? really should know this...
  • Options
    how does an honours degree come into it? Im doing an honours degree :confused:
  • Options
    how does an honours degree come into it? Im doing an honours degree :confused:

most degrees are honours degrees.

the 'pass' ones talked about in this thread are 'ordinary' degrees.
  • Options
    I'm sure all honours degrees have classifications, some unis have 4ths though, and some don't (mines doesn't) And I have to agree with faerielights that you need to strike a balance. But although you might be in the first area, the knowledge base you have is still quite general, and things do get harder in terms of the amount you need to know and the amount of detail expected of you. Getting a first is a rare thing for most students, it is just too difficult, and while it is achievable, it does take alot of effort and study and time, and it's time which is against most people (in my case it';s definitely against me...)
  • Options
    so if a first is 70%+ in all exams, what % do you need to get the rest?

Just trying to work out at what level im working at. got 60% in a phase test results today :) (for a very boring subject i might add)
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    . But although you might be in the first area, the knowledge base you have is still quite general, and things do get harder in terms of the amount you need to know and the amount of detail expected of you.

THat may be so. I've been borderline 1st on all my grades this year. Spoke to my tutor when I was choosing my options for next year and changing degree title and she said that she rarely knows anyone go down from the standard of their first year and most improve so she thinks I'll definately get a first from now on.

Blah_x2 basically it's 10% lower for each lower honour banding. so 60% for 2:1, 50% for 2:2 and 40% for a 3rd. Or at least thats what my uni does. Less than that is a fail as far as I know.