Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Average age of lost virginity 16

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I read in the paper today that the *average* age of lost virginity in the year 2000 was 16 years old, down from 17 a couple of years before.

Is it only me who finds this worrying? the average means that there are kids under 16 having sex, and if that average is getting lower....well go figure.

Is there anything that should be done about this? Should anything be done?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I do find it worrying, actually. It either means that more kids are loosing it at, say 14 or the same number of kids are losing it before 16 but the age at which they do so is falling. The latter would concern me more.

Maybe I'm more conservative about sex anyway; at 18 I'm still a virgin and I would prefer to be in a stable relationship before I have sex with someone. So that probably colours my views.

As to what can be done, if two under-age children are sleeping together I don't think anything can be done legally. We can hardly lock them up, that wouldn't help it would just scare people.

People will probably say this repeatedly, but better sex ed. would help. I had my first sex ed. session in year 4 but we didn't learn about STDs until the very end of year 9. That's potentially too late, in my opinion. There were probably people in my class who had already had sex by then.

To be honest my main concern is unwanted children to young parents and a rise in STDs. Sex ed. should include info about STDs and the risk of pregnancy from about Year 7 (that is, the beginning of secondary education) at least.
    The problem with the 'average age' is that many people are obviously having sex at a much younger age for that figure to be reached, since some people would be having sex at a later age.

But I must say that I don't see anything wrong whatsoever with people having their first sexual intercourse at 16. Even 15. We must adapt with the times and accept that society isn't as naive as it was a century ago.

So long as they fully understand the implications and take precautions, then it's fine by me. I started at 16, my girlfriend was 14, and we both fully understood the implications of unprotected sex and ensured we used protection.
    What is actually glossed over after so many successive decades of moralisation and increasing puritanism is that only a couple generations ago girls were being married off at ages ranging from 14-16 and nooone was bothered in the slightest. IF it was okay back when sex was not even considered a legitimate topic for social discourse and safe sex practically unheard of, why should sex at such an age be so taboo now?
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    What is actually glossed over after so many successive decades of moralisation and increasing puritanism is that only a couple generations ago girls were being married off at ages ranging from 14-16 and nooone was bothered in the slightest. IF it was okay back when sex was not even considered a legitimate topic for social discourse and safe sex practically unheard of, why should sex at such an age be so taboo now?
    So you think we should revert to medieval morality? I think that would be a step backwards.

My view is that we should be teaching kids that sex should not be taken lightly. It should be within a serious relationship (preferably within marriage). Sleeping around and one-night stands only increases the risk of spreading infections around more people.

I remember the sex-ed I had was mostly biological. They don't teach all that much about relationships and marriage at school. That seems to be left to parents. And if the parents themselves are divorced or split up, it hardly sets a good example to the kids.
    Been a while since you studied history? A couple of generations ago (i.e. our grandparents' or great grandparents' era depending on your age) was very much the 20th century.
    Theres nowt wrong with casual sex as long as both parties are aware its just a bit of fun.
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Theres nowt wrong with casual sex as long as both parties are aware its just a bit of fun.

Surely that depends on age ?

I personally think kids are growing up a lot faster now, they are maturing so early.
    I think its better to not have casual sex and wait until your in a stable-ish relationship. How people can hop into bed with just anyone, regardless of age or when they have just met someone amazes me.
    People should wait............thats my opinion !!!
    Its just scary how children seem to want to throw it away as soon as possible, and to anyone.

Then again im prehaps a bit of a traditionalist. I am almost 18 and have not even come close, well my last (and only) gf wanted it but i refused as she was pestering me after 2 weeks. Needlessto say it did not last very long and i ended up breaking up with her.

I want my first time to be an act of love in a stable relationship:heart:
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Surely that depends on age ?

I personally think kids are growing up a lot faster now, they are maturing so early.
    I think its better to not have casual sex and wait until your in a stable-ish relationship. How people can hop into bed with just anyone, regardless of age or when they have just met someone amazes me.
    People should wait............thats my opinion !!!

Oh yes, it does depend on age. I was just making a general comment.
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Oh yes, it does depend on age. I was just making a general comment.

Well I shall let you off on that one ;)
    i lost my virginity aged 9 to a girl of 14 who seduced me ...or abused me depending on your view point.
    i thought it was fantastic.
    sick
    what is?
    Originally posted by crossfire
    sick

i think this whole concept of people losing it so young is. I wouldn't consider myself prude but the idea of preteens losing makes me feel physically sick.

And to the article posted by GWST I think that woman is nothing but a slag. I hate to be so judgemental, and perhaps I'm trying to force my own morals on other people, but I think it's exactly how crossfire put it :yes:
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i lost my virginity aged 9 to a girl of 14 who seduced me ...or abused me depending on your view point.
    i thought it was fantastic.
    Fuck's sake, you must have been an early developer!
    Originally posted by Clandestine Been a while since you studied history? A couple of generations ago (i.e. our grandparents' or great grandparents' era depending on your age) was very much the 20th century.
    That may as be, but we have moved on since that time. And another thing...
    couple generations ago girls were being married off at ages ranging from 14-16
    The keyword here is "married". That means they were not just sleeping around or having one-night stands.
    I lost it at 13, she was 26. And there is nothing wrong with me... I think. If they understand all the implications it´s Ok. Unless it´s my daughter... :eek2:

Nine?! Wow
    Just wondering Mr.Roll and xicoperez how you would react if someone slept with your daughter and those age differences applied with her being the younger?

Just asking because quite often we react differently in our attitudes about boys and girls when it comes to sex.
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Just wondering Mr.Roll and xicoperez how you would react if someone slept with your daughter and those age differences applied with her being the younger?

Just asking because quite often we react differently in our attitudes about boys and girls when it comes to sex.
    Originally posted by xicoperez
    Unless it´s my daughter... :eek2:

It's one of those contradictions...
    Originally posted by BlackArab

i'd be out with a bat. wife would be tearing her hair out and i'd end up down the nick for the night ...
    nothing wrong if the people losing it earlier were doing it with someone they love, im sure some are, but im quite sure most of this is someone older usually taking advantage and putting pressure like an older guy for example
    Nope i think the right age is 18 but i dont think this age won’t still suffice - the generation now is much different.... omg !!
    Hi leela, after 9 years it's best to start a new topic if it's something you're interested in.
    I need to Bump to awaken everyone.. :) see your awake :)
    leela_e wrote: »

What whowhere was saying, is not drag old threads up. It messes up the boards and is highly annoying. If you still want to talk about this topic start a new thread. Do not post in old threads to "bump" to see if people are awake.
    It's a good idea to check the date that an old thread was started or was most recently added to. As a general rule, anything over a couple of months old can be considered 'dead' and is best being left in its grave. Old threads are left as a reference point - if you are reading them and find something interesting you would like to discuss, you could start a new thread about it.

Three reasons for this:
    1. if the thread is asking for advice, any help will be useless after a certain length of time because the problem will have been dealt with.
    2. older posters get frustrated because they saw the thread the first time round, and have to read through it again to check they haven't replied before and that they aren't repeating another poster's comment.
    3. newer posters get confused by all the old and ex posters who originally replied to the thread.

Before you start a new thread on anything, check previous pages on the board to make sure nobody has posted a similar question recently. It is possible that the answer to your question is already there, and you won't need to make a new post. People are willing to give advice but will obviously be annoyed if no-one else bothers to read it and they have to give up their time answering the same question for another poster. It is also pointless for a poster to repeat their question or topic by starting a new thread

from here http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php/94677-The-good-manners-guide

Reopening old posts awakens the slumbering beast within. Start a new topic if you're interested in something, seriously!

Old topics are annoying because they are often hopelessly out of date, what was true 9 years ago may not be true today.
    Closing now :)

Feel free to start a new thread leela :thumb:
This discussion has been closed.